AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am going to be ordering some bass traps that are 12" in width and either 2' or 4' in length. I can only get 2 because I only have 2 corners of the room available to me as the curtains are in the front (see picture in link below).

I have a couple questions. First, If I can only do 2 is it worth it? I'm under the impression if I don't get them for all corners of the room it won't help? Secondly, the bass trap is going to be pretty close to the rear dipole speakers. Are they going to effect my rear surround field? Thirdly, would the 4' in length version be that much better than the 2' version?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
Yes. 2 are better than none.

If you can only do 2, I would do the 4' ones. You could also put some trapping in the front where the side wall meets the ceiling. One more suggestion you might not like, but you COULD shorten the curtains and build angled false walls on the front corners to conceal the bass traps in front. This would still give a nice clean look and provide the space you need.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by paradigm
Ok, I am going to be ordering some bass traps that are 12" in width and either 2' or 4' in length. I can only get 2 because I only have 2 corners of the room available to me as the curtains are in the front (see picture in link below).

I have a couple questions. First, If I can only do 2 is it worth it? I'm under the impression if I don't get them for all corners of the room it won't help?
It can help. How bad are your bass problems? How big is your room? And what type of bass traps are these? There are several things that are called bass traps: tuned membrane absorbers, free-standing cylinders, thick foam corners, rigid fiberglass spaced away from the wall, etc.

Quote:

Secondly, the bass trap is going to be pretty close to the rear dipole speakers. Are they going to effect my rear surround field?
Unlikely. If the bass trap is absorbing primarily bass, it shouldn't affect your surrounds, which are mid to high frequency.

Quote:

Thirdly, would the 4' in length version be that much better than the 2' version?
In general, a bass absorber's effectiveness increases with its area. So the 4' length would be more effective than the 2' length. But this assumes that the absorber is effective to begin with in your situation. Extra vertical length in a corner will only affect the lengthwise and widthwise room modes, so it helps to have diagnosed the origin of your bass problems.

Regards,

Terry

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response everyone!

bpape - I was hoping you wouldn't say the 4' were better as they cost twice as much. They are wrapped in Guilford of Main.

Terry - I actually don't know what a bass problem is. I have the sub calibrated to the rest of the speakers. I actually like the bass sound I"m getting but feel it could be tightened up a little when its turned up at reference levels. Its a little boomy. I don't want to kill the sound I have if you catch my drift.

These bass traps are melamine foam core and wrapped with GOM. Are these any good? The problem with the 4' version is that they are $120 each. I could get the Polurethane foam that has no fabric and they are cheap but only come in 7 colors and they just look cheap to me and they probably arent as effective.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Terry - The room is 20x12.5x7. There is no door (its a curtain) and has one window. If I were to get the 2' version couldn't I later just put another 2' below it, wouldn't this be the same effect?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by paradigm
I actually don't know what a bass problem is.
Yeah, that's the problem when you don't have all that fancy test gear, you know you have problems but you don't know what they are. On a limited budget, it's hard to spend the money to diagnose the problem. Then again, why spend money on solutions to problems you don't understand.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I know the panels will help the sound that I'm hearing when I clap my hands. When I clap my hands the sound should not extend. It should be a dead sound. That I know I can clear up. As far as the bass goes, everyone who hears it loves it and says its the best part of the whole room so maybe I shouldn't mess with it.. however I know that its a little too boomy and just want to tone it down a little.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know what you mean about wondering if you have a bass problem or not. I have a dedicated media room that's about 9 ft. wide and 16 ft long. At the rear of 1 side wall is a 5 ft opening into another room. The room is carpeted but has uncovered dry wall for the walls. I recently purchased a pair of MartinLogan Mosaic main speakers (dipolar). I was disappointed with what I felt was an overly "bright" sound. I also noticed extensive echoing and ringing when I clapped about 9 ft from the front wall. I was tempted to return the speakers but decided to try to address the acoustical problem first. I built a 3D model of my room using CARA acoustical software and the software suggested that I had excessive mid/high frequency reverberations in the room - something my ears seemed to confirm. After reading numerous posts, I decided to buy 4 mini bass traps from Ethan at Real Traps. His FAQ and info on his site indicated that these can also solve higher frequency problems to some degree. After installing the 4 traps, I noticed a "slight" improvement in the sound (music and movies) but still noticed the "brightness" in the room and ringing with claps. I left 2 traps in the front corners as suggested on Ethan's web site. I returned the other 2 and purchased 4 HF micro traps which I installed on the 2 parallel walls. These made a tremendous difference in the sound - the echoing and ringing are completely gone. Music sounds excellent and the center channel sounds great with multi-channel audio and movies. I'm still not positive I had (or still have) a bass problem but I can say I'm extremely pleased with the difference and that's what counts! Good luck.

Let me also mention that I have no affiliation with Real Traps but I would highly recommend taking advantage of their offer to AVS members. Their service was excellent and delivery was prompt. Returning 2 traps was not a problem.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I REALLY really considered realtraps especially with the discount. The biggest thing I don't like about the real traps is that they are just not asthetically pleasing to my eye from the pictures I've seen. From the research I've done it looks like they do a great job taking care of acoustical problems. But I don't believe my room is going to take a lot of treatment. I'm going with another place that wraps their panels in GOM and can design the panels to look the way you want. I know looks shouldn't matter but with me they do.

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
Sorry :(

As previously stated, area is a major factor in effectiveness. More lenght = more area.

Why don't you just build across your corners like I said and put some Owens Rigid Glass in the frame. You can cover it yourself with GOM and save some $. You can order the rigid fiberglass from the RealTraps web site.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree with your comments about aesthetically pleasing. The micro traps are only a little over an inch think so don't look bad. Once I paint my walls a darker color, I will probably end up covering the panels so they will blend in a little better. When the room is dark the black mini traps in the 2 front corners aren't even noticeable - different story in the light!

rja

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.