AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I continue to wait for my AV15H's, I was wondering. If I picked up a stereo Bassis for EQ and L/T duty for my dual sealed subs, is there a reason to also purchase a DCX (assuming I can get the FR relatively flat with just the Bassis and Audyssey on my receiver?). Or would the DCX be able to do whatever the Bassis can and therefore with a DCX there's not much point in having a Bassis? I don't believe the Bassis has any phase adjustments which I think I'll need given I'm going with a RMX-5050 pro amp?

Just trying to understand how they differ in their functionality. Seems a few have had some really positive experiences with the Bassis in particular.

Still learning to go easy on me!

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Obviously you know my choice.

I prefer the DCX, although I have not used a Bassis.

I am sure the Bassis is probably the better for its specifically designed function.

However, the DX has almost infinite flexibility as an active crossover, an array of discreet inputs and outputs and most importantly adjustable delay and gain for EVERY channel, in and out. I also like to be able to save multiple configurations and settings and configure using the panel or computer.

If you want to grow your system or change things up I would go with the DCX.

Not to mention, the DCX can be had for 1/2 to 1/4 the price of a Bassis(depending on how you have the Bassis configured/customized)!!!!

DCX=One of the best bargains in woofage!

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
if you are going to be using it with sealed subs, the dcx has a shelf filter that matches q=0.707 12db/oct rolloff as a standard option, which gives you a linkwitz transform, more or less. you can also combine other filters to get an effective linkwitz transform for other design q's. there are threads on this. you can download the software for free too. one complaint folks have is that 20hz is the lowest level for setting crossover points. it seems that an additional octave lower would be nice for those with subs that could benefit from a crossover in the 10-20hz region. many use it on high end systems with no complaints. it's a high quality product at an el-cheapo pricepoint. dbx has a semi-competitive product, but it has a higher price and different features (many better, some not so good).

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
My vote goes to the BASSIS ( for pure simplicity and function ). First find the F3 point, set that number on the BASSIS. Set the Q before- then desired Q post EQ, dial in your new F3 (boost) and let Audyssey do its business. All of about 10 minutes.

IIRC Audyssey looks for the knee of the rolloff and only EQ's to that point, so if you dial in down to 8hz it will adjust FR down that low.......i think. I'm sure the Audyssey boys can verify that in their forum.....

Throw in a movie, sit back and never touch the EQ again.....

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
I dunno, I setup my dcx in about 10 minutes and have never used one before. Pretty easy, even for me! lol

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
While the Behringer is pretty slick, I'll never forget strolling through Phil's shop during lunch and talking to him and his son about subwoofers. They have a real nice family owned and run business..... it's a dying American tradition, the small family owned business.

Just another thought

1 - 12 of 12 Posts