AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Denon 1610 receiver that when I turn on dynamic eq the bass is to boomy. There was something about it on a Onkyo thread but the menu's to fix this would be different. I tried the reference level offset but it didn't seem like it made that much of a difference. Should I just turn down the sub volume when I have dynamic eq on, which I suppose would be all the time as the bass is not that boomy with it off. By the way I have my speakers on small and xover on 80. What have you found that seems to work the best? Thanks to all of you for any help.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
DynamicEQ is meant to be left on all the time, as it compensates for the lower volume by boosting the bass and surround effects at lower levels. That's what it's designed to do. No, you shouldn't turn down your sub volume - you're supposed to run Audyssey auto calibration, turn on DynamicEQ, set the reference level offsets for each input, adjust the crossover and speaker sizes and then leave the system alone after that.

Did you make sure you set the reference level offset for the specific source/input you're experiencing problems with? Reference level offset is controlled separately for each input.

I have my reference level offset set at 0 for my blu-ray player and -10 for all of my "music" and "tv" inputs and this sounds just about perfect to my ears at all volumes. DynamicEQ has made my system sound way better at lower volumes than it ever has in the past.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 /forum/post/19630283

DynamicEQ is meant to be left on all the time, as it compensates for the lower volume by boosting the bass and surround effects at lower levels. That's what it's designed to do. No, you shouldn't turn down your sub volume - you're supposed to run Audyssey auto calibration, turn on DynamicEQ, set the reference level offsets for each input, adjust the crossover and speaker sizes and then leave the system alone after that.

Did you make sure you set the reference level offset for the specific source/input you're experiencing problems with? Reference level offset is controlled separately for each input.

I have my reference level offset set at 0 for my blu-ray player and -10 for all of my "music" and "tv" inputs and this sounds just about perfect to my ears at all volumes. DynamicEQ has made my system sound way better at lower volumes than it ever has in the past.

+1.

Also, a few of us do find that our systems in our rooms, for whatever reason, are slightly bass heavy to our ears with dyndmic EQ even on movie material, where it theoretically can make "spot on" corrections. My solution, for me in my room, is simple: I run my sub 2.5 dB lower than the autosetup routine result, and use DynEQ all the time. Like Jkozlow3, I have my music and TV inputs reduced to account for different (theoretical) "reference level" of those sources, and I am a happy camper.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have run the Audussey and tried ajusting the level offsets at 10 for tv viewing but still to bass heavy. I'll try also what JHAz said by turning down sub vol. I have the sub away from the corner and front wall 17"x 6" maybe need to move it out more. Sub is downward firing and port is in front. Thanks for help

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The trim was set at +1.0 after audessey. Don't have alot of options on were to put sub. Bass is only boomy when dynamic eq on, worst when watching cable tv even having level offset at the 10 level. Have a radio shack spm. to check levels and it is right at 75dbs. Keep trying moving sub around as much as I can. I even have test cd with all the different test tones and when I check it at the 50hz to 40hz the sound level drops fast. When watching cable though the sub is alot louder and boomier and not in a good way. I really need a better sub probably. Just for reference I have a Focal.JMlab sib speaker package, 5 sat speakers with the Cub 2 sub ( 40-150 hz ) rating (RMS) 100watts. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
93,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhsGrad71 /forum/post/19631128

The trim was set at +1.0 after audessey. Don't have alot of options on were to put sub. Bass is only boomy when dynamic eq on, worst when watching cable tv even having level offset at the 10 level.

No issue with sub trim setting then. Sounds like your best options are to either turn Dyn EQ off for cable and/or drop the sub channel level 3-4db. Make sure you run AUTO SETUP each time you move the sub's position.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After moving sub more into open and turning down sub level down 5dbs seems to be better. I'm going to be keeping eye out for better sub for future upgrade. Live in apartment with kitchen and living room together, that may be some of the problems as it is trying fill the whole room. I'll keep working with it, playing with it is almost as fun as listening to it. Thanks for advice and have a Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhsGrad71 /forum/post/19631784

After moving sub more into open and turning down sub level down 5dbs seems to be better. I'm going to be keeping eye out for better sub for future upgrade. Live in apartment with kitchen and living room together, that may be some of the problems as it is trying fill the whole room. I'll keep working with it, playing with it is almost as fun as listening to it. Thanks for advice and have a Merry Christmas.

I have a similar floor plan in my townhouse. While my bass in not boomy with DynamicEQ in my primary listening position, it's very boomy when I walk into the kitchen, but this has nothing to do with DynamicEQ or Audyssey for that matter. It's always been that way just due to the acoustics of my rooms - even on my previous receiver without Audyssey.

By chance are you saying that it's boomy as you move about the room but not in your primary listening position? If that's the case, that can only be fixed with bass traps and possibly adding a second sub to your setup which will smooth the response a bit.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 /forum/post/19630283

DynamicEQ is meant to be left on all the time, as it compensates for the lower volume by boosting the bass and surround effects at lower levels.

My understanding is that it does the opposite. It compresses the dynamic range at lower volume settings so normal voice dialogue doesn't have to be too quiet so loud explosions etc won't disturb others in the house.

I always have it off.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 /forum/post/19631928

My understanding is that it does the opposite. It compresses the dynamic range at lower volume settings so normal voice dialogue doesn't have to be too quiet so loud explosions etc won't disturb others in the house.

I always have it off.

You're confusing DynamicEQ with Dynamic Volume. DynamicEQ is meant to be left on and is a fantastic feature that gives life to music/movies at quieter volumes by automatically boosting the things that need to be boosted as you get further from 0 on the volume dial. Dynamic Volume is what compresses the dynamic range and I've personally not used it yet (no real need at the moment).

You're really missing out if you have DynamicEQ turned off. I will never buy a receiver without this (or comparable) feature again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts