AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i was just wondering if there is anyway to setup automation for a bathtub? im looking at buying the maax kashmir corner tub, and was hoping there would be some kind of automation stuff i could install in order to remotely fill the tub at a certain temperature?

anyone know of anything that could help me achieve this?

thanks.

Reilly

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
"What did our ancestors do when they didn't even have TP?"

"TP" Touch panels???

·
Registered
533 Posts
The issue with tub automation is you want to be darn sure it can't overflow. So even if you have overflows you also want to have level sensors that shut the tub off if for any reason it goes over a specific level. And before someone points out to me
that it could be put on a timer so that it does not stay on long enough to overflow, that's true, but not really a sufficient safety mechanism. And then of course you have to actuate the valves. Lastly there is a safety issue implementing this with regard to if young child were in the tub when you decided to remotely activate it. Or maybe someone has decided to put the puppy in the tub to wash them and walked out of the room

That being said, yes it can be done. Expect to spend more than the tub to accomplish it since done properly this is not an off the shelf endeavor. Personally it is one of the few things I would not automate, it sounds great when they mention it in magazines, IMO it ranks up there with the coffee maker cliche of "wouldn't it be great if you could push a button in the morning and have coffee". It would, but you've still got to remember to load the coffee maker with coffee and depending on the machine maybe water and a pot too!

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
I think this rates right up there with the RS-232 toilet flush valve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bathomatic isn't so cheap, here are price list for few bathomatic bundles I have in euro.

bathomatic basic 4,000.00

bathomatic eco easy kit 5,000.00

bathomatic eco easy kit ultimate 6,000.00

bathomatic eco whirlpool 7,200.00

Network card (allowing Telnet, iPhone control) 650.00

The above prices exclude VAT and carriage and are valid for France. The installation cost can vary but be performed by any good plumber.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I happen to work in the luxury bath industry and be a home automation hobbyist. Use a thermostatic mixing valve, it has to go in the wall but it will let you set the temperature you want on the dial. There is no electronic control for the thermostatic valve. Since a thermostatic mixing valve has no built-in shutoff, you will end up having a seperate on/off valve for manual use. Here is where you can insert a solenoid valve to bypass the shutoff valve. Energizing it will run water into the tub, and de-energizing it will shut off the water. The temperature would have been set by the mixing valve.

Your tub should have an overflow built into it which will prevent the tub from filling over the edge. However, relying on this is not smart nor eco-freindly. A water level shut-off switch can be wired in series with the solenoid valve so that it interupts power to the solenoid valve when it is tripped. These switches are commonly used in air-conditioning units the shut down the unit when water condensation builds up and can't drain out. They plumb into PVC piping. Since the tub you are getting is probably a jetted tub (you didn't say), then this could be plumbed into the piping behind the tub and raised to the level that you would like the switch to trip at.

Using a relay, this switch can interupt the solenoid valve, and simultaneously signal your automation controller via contact closure that the fill level has been reached.

Not too complicated I hope.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Automation has long been expected on high-end Walk in tubs,however, it is not always an easy sell.And big advantage is people are familiar with them as they understand how much they save all around and how little time they spend maintaining the water.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We live later on isn't that right? Is there a motivation behind why just rich individuals have touchscreen controlled showers and temperature directed baths? Tells us the best way to make our own special computerized bath for inexpensively, our preferred microchip — the Arduino.

The framework controls the filling of the epictub, screens the temperature dependent on a client profile — and it even includes bubbles. For what reason do you need this? You presumably don't — however why not, wouldn't it be ideal to press a fasten and have a shower drawn for you? It utilizes an Arduino viable board that controls 3 transfers for the water framework, a DS18b20 temperature sensor on the bay and a subsequent remote (434mhz) Arduino viable board for observing the tub temperature and including bubble shower utilizing a hacked mechanized cleanser gadget.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts