AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone using and how many are actually using one?

I did some searching but all the threads are 5+ years old.

I really don't want to drop the coin on a panamax but I'm considering it. Anyone want to talk me out of it?

TIA:cool:

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
I had one hooked up to my rear projection SXRD for about 5 years. Never needed it once.

The theory is that if there is a power outage when the bulb is in use you'll buy the time to shutdown the bulb 'gracefully' with the two or so minutes the fan runs after you turn the lamp off.

But as I mentioned I never once had this scenario happen and I used my TV a lot.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm not. The power just doesn't go out very often here. I've never had it happen while using a projector.

Depends on your cost-benefit analysis. Worst case, you ruin a $300 bulb, but you're going to have to plunk down $100 for a decent UPS and replace the battery periodically. Realistically, you lose a little lamp life if it happens. Doesn't seem like a worthwhile trade to me.

-tm

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
So you spent how much on your projector, and the replacement lamps are how much? You don't have $150 more bucks to spend on a simple UPS to protect you investment and allow a shut down should you have an outage?
I have and small UPS on the FIOS ONT so my cable and internet stays up for at least 4 hours without power. I have my PC, Monitor and FIOS router on a 1000 VA ACP UPS so I can continue working (VPN) should the power go out and all other network communications will continue. I have my Receiver, HDMI switch and FIOS box on a 1000VA UPS and my Projector on yet another 1000VA UPS.
We missed about 5 minutes of True Blood waiting for the box and projector to boot after a 3 second outage, never again..

To put it in perspective, how much do you spend every year on home/business/car/life/health insurance that you PRAY you will never need to use.. UPS for your investment that will last for about 4 years before it needs the battery replaced.. seems silly not to have one doesn't it??

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I think my power might have went out a year or two ago, I wasn't home but my microwave clock was out.

There's just no value for me.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
I have one on mine, its the quick little 1 sec power glitches we get quite often that are annoying waiting 15 to 20 min for the projector to cool to restart it is not pleasant.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm not. The power just doesn't go out very often here. I've never had it happen while using a projector.

Depends on your cost-benefit analysis. Worst case, you ruin a $300 bulb, but you're going to have to plunk down $100 for a decent UPS and replace the battery periodically. Realistically, you lose a little lamp life if it happens. Doesn't seem like a worthwhile trade to me.

-tm
The fans don't protect the lamp they protect the rest of the projector from the lamp heat.

I use a CyberPower 1500PFCLCD to shut down the Projector and power my DSL modem and router. That way I can still use the internets while the power is out.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've always heard the fans running after shutdown are about cooling the bulb down properly. Once the power is out, the bulb is no longer producing heat so you're just left with the residual heat. If that's possibly damaging, then that can be factored in to the analysis, too.

It's not about not having $100-$150. It's about whether it makes financial sense. Insurance is not a fair comparison. The costs of not having insurance in those situations is 10s or 100s of thousands of dollars. This is $3000 or less MSRP so that's the absolute worst case, if the thing exploded just because the power went out.

Also, don't forget the additional effort, wiring, complexity, etc. (what your time is worth). Where is your UPS going to go for a ceiling mounted projector? Not saying there aren't options, just need to account for it.

I think a surge protector is a no-brainer, but would rather put the money/time for the UPS elsewhere (replacement bulb, next projector).

-tm

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
So since there are not many replies does this mean that no body is using a battery backup?
Besides random power outages, the most annoying thing is overloading the circuits such as forgetting to turn off the space heater when starting up the iron. So I make use of several ups's around the house but no high end units.

·
Banned
1,191 Posts
The fans don't protect the lamp they protect the rest of the projector from the lamp heat.

I use a CyberPower 1500PFCLCD to shut down the Projector and power my DSL modem and router. That way I can still use the internets while the power is out.
And the lamp heat at that point is not some residual insignificant amount. A power outage hit us during a movie and within a month my projector began developing a "blob" in the middle of the screen. It got worse and worse and I found out it was either a polarizer or LCD panel. I went out and got a UPC unit, cost about $120. It would have saved my projector, and I've always had one since.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for the personal stories and opinions. After many internal battles and weighing pros and cons I decided to pull the trigger and picked up a Panamax MX5102. :cool:

I figured if I piece it together with a quality surge protector, and a separate battery back up it's probably going to be half what the MX5102 costs. May as well spend the extra and do it right for the final piece and maybe one of the most important.

This will keep my power supply needs all housed together in one quality unit while providing back up power for the projector. I've wired the projector with what is essentially an extension that runs to the PJ mount. so I will be able to plug directing into the MX5102.

From what I've heard and read Panamax makes some of the best stuff so I think I will be happy once I get to hook everything up.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
We lose power several times year in my area. My battery back up has more than paid for itself. My bulbs replacement bulbs are just shy of $400, so getting the most of their life span is important.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
What is everyone using and how many are actually using one?

I did some searching but all the threads are 5+ years old.

I really don't want to drop the coin on a panamax but I'm considering it. Anyone want to talk me out of it?

TIA:cool:
You realize we have more than just this forum for projector owners ;)

Over in the 3k plus there are half dozen threads in 2014 on the topic. Here's one of them

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...rs-3-000-usd-msrp/1486423-ups-projectors.html

Best way to search is advance search and title search only. Using ups as search word will bring up threads like this

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di.../1441208-projector-bulb-life-w-w-out-ups.html

If you go to the head category of displays and do an overall search, again title search only with ups...you'll find 366 threads on using ups back-up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think that this likely depends on the projector a bit. What I seem to recall (I don't know if this is true, fortunately) is that for my PT-AE4000U cutting power while running could damage/discolor the polarizers. That would kill the entire projector, not just the bulb. I lose power often enough (still rare) that I thought the extra cost of a UPS vs good surge suppressor was worth it. On a side note, I have seen other items that have a specified "cool down" procedure. I know on the gas turbines I've worked on there is a specific procedure (either time at idle or slow roll after shutdown) for shutdown that if you don't follow you will eventually buckle or warp something.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You realize we have more than just this forum for projector owners ;)

Over in the 3k plus there are half dozen threads in 2014 on the topic. Here's one of them

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...rs-3-000-usd-msrp/1486423-ups-projectors.html

Best way to search is advance search and title search only. Using ups as search word will bring up threads like this

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di.../1441208-projector-bulb-life-w-w-out-ups.html

If you go to the head category of displays and do an overall search, again title search only with ups...you'll find 366 threads on using ups back-up.
Thanks. I'm obviously not good at searching. I think I might actually return the MX5102 for a cyberpower unit. It's about 1/3rd the cost and has more power. after reading a little more I think my projector is at the top end of what the battery backup does for the MX5102.

ah the saga continues...I thought I had this figured out :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thanks. I'm obviously not good at searching. I think I might actually return the MX5102 for a cyberpower unit. It's about 1/3rd the cost and has more power. after reading a little more I think my projector is at the top end of what the battery backup does for the MX5102.

ah the saga continues...I thought I had this figured out :)
$650?:eek:

I've been using UPS's since I did contract programming/tech support work using the original 8088 Compaq portable! Still use one with an IBM label and another with a Wang label. I have a seperate UPS for my surfing computer/dsl modem, my accounting computer, bill pay computer, cordless telephone/alarm clock, home alarm and my projector/home theater pc.

I'm sure I've spent $650 over the years for UPS's, but for one piece of equipment?

I do have a Panamax home theater surge suppressor, but I'm beginning to wonder if Panamax is the "Bose" of UPS's!

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
$650?:eek:

I've been using UPS's since I did contract programming/tech support work using the original 8088 Compaq portable! Still use one with an IBM label and another with a Wang label. I have a seperate UPS for my surfing computer/dsl modem, my accounting computer, bill pay computer, cordless telephone/alarm clock, home alarm and my projector/home theater pc.

I'm sure I've spent $650 over the years for UPS's, but for one piece of equipment?

I do have a Panamax home theater surge suppressor, but I'm beginning to wonder if Panamax is the "Bose" of UPS's!
Yeah no kidding. I was able to get a deal on it for $520 but I'm going to return it. I ended up picking up a less expensive CyberPower one at Costco for $99. it's got twice the battery power. I just can't justify the cost of the Panamax right now. to many other things to buy..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts