AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up here in the mountains, I can count at least 20 times the power has gone out in the last 2 years...I'm going to have a propane powered backup generator on our new house that automatically kicks on when the power goes out... but there's going to be a few secs before that happens...

IF the power goes out, I dont know if the projector turns off and stays off when the generator kicks in... none the less, the bulb is going to be hot with no cooling fan for a few seconds.

So my thought was to put a battery backup in the ceiling, same kind of unit I have on every computer in my office... 20 minutes of uninterrupted battery power should the main power go out... which would give me time to shut the projector down.

Do any of you have your projector on a battery backup/surge protector?

What are you using?

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Buy a Double Conversion UPS (AC to DC back to AC.) It will give you all the protection you need. Also it will give you voltage regulation and sine wave control. Don't use a Line interactive unit. I would start with Triplite, I belive they have a 700 watt unit for around $500.00. If it doesn't say "Double Conversion" or "AC to DC back to AC" I would not use it. You can buy Ferro-Resonant, but they are heavy.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy
Buy a Double Conversion UPS (AC to DC back to AC.) It will give you all the protection you need. Also it will give you voltage regulation and sine wave control. Don't use a Line interactive unit. I would start with Triplite, I belive they have a 700 watt unit for around $500.00. If it doesn't say "Double Conversion" or "AC to DC back to AC" I would not use it. You can by Ferro-Resonant, but they are heavy.
I've been using a line interactive APC Back-UPS 1400 with my old PJ and currently with my new Optoma H79 for a total of 3 years now and never had a single problem. I even watched over 15 minutes worth of a movie where the PJ was running off battery due to power loss during last year's hurricanes.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherman
I've been using a line interactive APC Back-UPS 1400 with my old PJ and currently with my new Optoma H79 for a total of 3 years now and never had a single problem. I even watched over 15 minutes worth of a movie where the PJ was running off battery due to power loss during last year's hurricanes.
I agree, Line Interactive will work fine as a battery Backup. I sell Line Interactive systems in my specialized field where dirty power is not a problem, they are less expensive, but you would not use them in a hospital, etc. When we speak of Audio/Videofile applications, people want Hospital Grade, Clean Power. Now, I am not saying that the ups, stated in my above post are "Hospital Grade," but the "Theory of Operation" is the same. The AC is isolated by the AC to DC and back to AC process. For an extra $200.00 to $300.00, I think it's worth it. Furthermore, the person who posted this question uses a "Backup Generator" The AC/AD/AC Conversion method will stabilize the AC much better then the Line Interactive. Some generators will produce dirty power (I am not saying his does)and could damage A/V Equipment.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Quote:
For an extra $200.00 to $300.00, I think it's worth it. Furthermore, the person who posted this question uses a "Backup Generator" The AC/AD/AC Conversion method will stabilize the AC much better then the Line Interactive. Some generators will produce dirty power (I am not saying his does)and could damage A/V Equipment.
I second this advise. Besides TrippliLite you may take a look on Minuteman. They have great but not expensive AC-DC-AC UPS series with sine output as well.

And one more thing: please be sure that everything, connected to the projector either directly (e.g. DVD player to PJ inputs) or indirectly (e.g. subwoofer, which connected through amplifier and DVD player) is powered through the same UPS. Otherwise in case of lightning strike, for example, the projector may be damaged through video inputs. Clean power for HiFi sound is another reason to power everything through AC-DC-AC sine output UPS.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Quote:
For an extra $200.00 to $300.00, I think it's worth it. Furthermore, the person who posted this question uses a "Backup Generator" The AC/AD/AC Conversion method will stabilize the AC much better then the Line Interactive. Some generators will produce dirty power (I am not saying his does)and could damage A/V Equipment.
I second this advise. Besides TrippleLite you may take a look on Minuteman. They have great but not expensive AC-DC-AC UPS series with sine output as well.

And one more thing: please be sure that everything, connected to the projector either directly (e.g. DVD player to PJ inputs) or indirectly (e.g. subwoofer, which connected through amplifier and DVD player) is powered through the same UPS. Otherwise in case of lightning strike, for example, the projector may be damaged through video inputs. Clean power for HiFi sound is another reason to power everything through AC-DC-AC sine output UPS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.