AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some advice. I'm thinking I need to upgrade my battery backup devices for my computer and home theater. I just bought a new DLP big screen, and have read that's important to have a good backup system in place to at least allow the cooling fan to run if power is lost. I've got a cheap Home Depot UPS that I've got it plugged into cuz that's all I have right now.

I'm sitting at my computer this weekend, and a thunderstorm caused my computer to blink/shut-down on me. This 550 VA used to run my old computer for 30 minutes, but obviously will not run my current computer for even a second.... I'm looking for you guy's advice on what I should do, and what I should buy that's reasonably priced. I'd prefer not to spend over $100 on either UPS, but I'll wait to see what you say. If that's insufficient, so be it. Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLP Man
, but obviously will not run my current computer for even a second....

Not to be a D.H., but I'd check 2 things first:

1. Make sure you are plugged into a battery port, not just a surge port. My UPS (350VA) has both.

2. Check the battery. With

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
To be honest any new UPS for less than $100 is going to be be pretty awful. Most consumer grade UPSes put out very distored sine waves that are not good in the long run for electronics. Your options if you want to stay within the price range. Are (in order of cost):

1. Replace battery in exitsting ups they are only good for 2-3 years. If yours is that old or older the battery is dead and hence why it won't power you new computer. Most use standard sealed lead acid batteries that you can find locally or online.

2. Buy another marginal and overated (capacity rating) consumer grade UPS.

3. Buy a used commerical grade UPS. APC Smart UPS and BackUPS Pros are good units. You can often find them used for a song. They will need new batteries but again that is only $20-50 bucks for a battery. You can find the UPSes used on Ebay (make them remove the old battery so you don't pay for shipping) or locally at used comptuer stores, surplus auctions (univesities, governments and businesses). I got 20 commerical grade APC UPS with ratings ranging from 550 to 2300 VA for a TOTAL of $88. Several had new batteries and with 3 exceptions the rest worked with new batteries. The 1400VA unit runs my 3 main computers a P4 2.8, AMD 2200 and P2 366 (firewall) for over an hour sans-monitor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.