AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some advice. I'm thinking I need to upgrade my battery backup devices for my computer and home theater. I just bought a new DLP big screen, and have read that's important to have a good backup system in place to at least allow the cooling fan to run if power is lost. I've got a cheap Home Depot UPS that I've got it plugged into cuz that's all I have right now.

I'm sitting at my computer this weekend, and a thunderstorm caused my computer to blink/shut-down on me. This 550 VA used to run my old computer for 30 minutes, but obviously will not run my current computer for even a second.... I'm looking for you guy's advice on what I should do, and what I should buy that's reasonably priced. I'd prefer not to spend over $100 on either UPS, but I'll wait to see what you say. If that's insufficient, so be it. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I wouldn't have thought that losing power to the projector maybe once a year would be that much of an issue on lamp life? Did you have some sources on that?

Generally speaking, when selecting a UPS, you add up all the power requirements and do your calculation. Have you gotten that far?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLP Man
This 550 VA used to run my old computer for 30 minutes, but obviously will not run my current computer for even a second.
Unless you new computer draws about 3,000 times as much power as the old one, then it's your UPS that's at fault. Probably the battery is dead and needs to be replaced. I had one fail the same way earlier this year, and the replacement battery was only $40 CND.

Mike

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent
Unless you new computer draws about 3,000 times as much power as the old one, then it's your UPS that's at fault. Probably the battery is dead and needs to be replaced. I had one fail the same way earlier this year, and the replacement battery was only $40 CND.

Mike
Mike is right, you need new batteries.

The worst thing you can do to a gel-cel battery (besides discharging it below 10.5 volts) is leave it on a charger 24 hours a day 7 days a week (like in a UPS) and never discharge it.

To maintain battery life you must cycle them at least every 6 months. Pull the power cord on your UPS and let them discharge to cutoff and restore the power.

A good analogy is a rechargeable battery is like a muscle. If you only use %1 of it, over time thats all that is left.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
DLP Man, as mentioned, you need to replace the UPS batteries. You can go through the manufacturer's distributor, but they will try to charge you enough that a whole new UPS looks like a deal. Instead, try to find a battery wholesaler in your area. I've been able to replace "$60" batteries for $12.

If you're not electrically minded, though, don't try to change them yourself. With the batteries (even "dead" ones) in-circuit there is live 12VDC and potentially 120VAC juice inside.

You don't need a big UPS to back up the DLP set, provided that you switch it off when you lose power. The fan draws very little current, so the UPS only needs to hold up the TV until you can turn it off.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Beware of computer power supplies for A/V equipment however. I stole this quote from Audioholics forum:

"Most computer grade UPS have square/modified square sine wave output waveforms. Although perfectly acceptable for most computer based applications, there are some equipment that will perform poorly or simply not work at all.

Pure sine wave UPSes use better quality inverters to regenerate an AC waveform with utmost fidelity.

Factors such VA rating, rated current, etc. that are also important and affect price as you go to higher application needs. That is why it's important to size your UPS accordingly for its intended use."

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys! I have had this UPS for quite some time, so I'm sure you're right & the battery is dead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.