AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Great movie, and the HD DVD really looks crisp. The did, indeed, do a great job w/this.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They did go a great job but lets bring on the critics.

If you're a kid who loves Tanks (Panzer/Tigers) you'll love this movie. Claissic INTERMISSION, Prologs - Movies of the good old days.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman /forum/post/0

They did go a great job but lets bring on the critics.

If you're a kid who loves Tanks (Panzer/Tigers) you'll love this movie. Claissic INTERMISSION, Prologs - Movies of the good old days.

There are no Panthers or Tigers in the movie (nit pick), not even an attemp to make some mock ups, they just use US M47's (irony is that the M47 was known as the Patton) to represent panzers. At least in Kelly's Heros they mock up T-34's to look like Tigers and did very good looking replicas.

·
Registered
374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker /forum/post/0

There are no Panthers or Tigers in the movie (nit pick), not even an attemp to make some mock ups, they just use US M47's (irony is that the M47 was known as the Patton) to represent panzers. At least in Kelly's Heros they mock up T-34's to look like Tigers and did very good looking replicas.

I haven't seen either movie in awhile, but didn't BotB use M24 Chaffee light tanks as Shermans and M47 Pattons as German panzers (Tiger, Panther, etc.). I think that was pretty standard in war movies of the 60's and on, including the film Patton.

But, I think the Tiger in the town at the end of Kelly's Heroes is a real Tiger. Have to watch it again to be sure, though. And, I think Oddball's Sherman was in fact a real Sherman, too.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashFan /forum/post/0

I haven't seen either movie in awhile, but didn't BotB use M24 Chaffee light tanks as Shermans and M47 Pattons as German panzers (Tiger, Panther, etc.). I think that was pretty standard in war movies of the 60's and on, including the film Patton.

But, I think the Tiger in the town at the end of Kelly's Heroes is a real Tiger. Have to watch it again to be sure, though. And, I think Oddball's Sherman was in fact a real Sherman, too.

The Tigers in Kelly's were T-34's. Very good mocks. You can tell by the wheels. The Tigers overlap and the T-34 dont. Both the Panther and Tigers were inspired by the T-34 and were built on the Christie (y) style running chassis. In Kelly's they used Shermans. Only two main Shermans were working the rest in the convoy on road sceen were towed. At leat the M24's were available during WW2. Just love how the turret of Telly's M24 blow apart and the he's still lives
.There are so many wrongs in the movie (Bulge) but if you just forget about the hardware and the various stupid story lines, the movie as a popcorn flick is ok.

I know in most of the war movies of that time did the same thing, If I rem correctly the M-47's used in the movie were actaully the West German army's or was that in Patton? At least Patton was more or less based on facts and with good acting.

·
Registered
374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch /forum/post/0

I've never seen Battle of the Bulge, how do you think it compares to Patton as far as a war movie?

Patton is a far better movie. Bulge is a fun, light-headed action war movie. Patton is more of a character study of a complex man.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
How does the compare PQ & SQ to the SD DVD?

Thanks.

·
Registered
141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED /forum/post/0

How does the compare PQ & SQ to the SD DVD?

Thanks.

The PQ and AQ is incredible in a lot of areas. My family was impressed. They had no intention of watching a 40 year old movie when i popped it in to demo HD-DVD, but they were hooked. The film master must have been in beautiful condition for this transfer.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Agreed when I first looked at it I was surprised. Another one like Robin Hood and even better. Wild some old movies can look as good and even better than recently filmed movies. I hope Midnight Run looks as good that's next up on my list. Great movie.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX /forum/post/0

The first real Tiger shown on a film was saving private ryan. Courtesy of Russia.

The battle scenes in Bob are spectacular better than patton.

Maybe from Russia but still mock's. Check the running wheels. They are mocked Tigers built on T-34 running stock same as the ones in Kelly's.
. I built so many model tanks in the past and gamed with so many miniatures, these things stand out. Also work as a defence analyst for the Canadian Arm Forces and wrote a direct fire sim for them many years ago that dealt with things like tank warfare (modern combat tanks and such for that time like the Leopard I/II vs T-55/72 and others). It was nice that my job at that time coincided with my hobby (war gaming)

http://www.alanhamby.com/tiger.html

Check the overlapping wheels of a real Tiger I in the gallery.

EDIT: Sorry OP.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman /forum/post/0

Nice picture, what a brute of a tank.

Great 88mm gun but very poor reliability like most German tanks of that time. The Tiger II ( http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/tiger2.htm ) was the real monster. Better 88mm and more armor'd but less reliable then the Tiger I. The Panther ( http://members.tripod.com/~dietmagic/panther.html ) was prob the best overall tank the Germans had. Great long 75mm gun and good frontal armor protect and reasonably fast. The Allies with mostly Shermans and T-34 where out match single Tank vs Tank (loose three Shermans to get "maybe" one panzer) but the Allies had the numbers (and great Tac air support) and in the case of the US tanks reliability.

Note: Even in Kelly's Heros, the German tank commander remarked about the bad conditions of his Tiger.

I think Shaw's "Tigers" in BotB were suppose to be Tiger IIs.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Tank Talk:

What tanks were used on "The Rat Patrol" (TV)?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opathoris /forum/post/0

The PQ and AQ is incredible in a lot of areas. My family was impressed. They had no intention of watching a 40 year old movie when i popped it in to demo HD-DVD, but they were hooked. The film master must have been in beautiful condition for this transfer.

And that's in direct comparison to the SD DVD for PQ & SQ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Hi,

I have built a lot of tank models in my days and am always very disappointed when I see a 35 ton T34 or a not much bigger US tank posing as a 56 or 70 ton Tiger tank.

There were some Tiger II and Panther tanks employed in the Battle of the Bulge and knowing how they really looks it hurts to not see them in any war film I have seen so far (including Saving Private Ryan btw.).

On this page (scroll down a bit) there is a comparison with a Sherman tank that shows how huge the King Tiger/Tiger II really was:

King Tiger vs. Sherman

Oliver

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
If it is any consolation to you the Industrial design of the Tiger 2 is alive and well at Barco, in Kuurne, in the Ardenes where the BOB took place and reportedly 13 tiger 2 were abandoned. Is there a connection?

I personally plan on commanding one of these and make a little bulge ( more like a dent
) in the anamorphic projection arena. As this projector relies on servo zoom memories in lieu of an anamorphic lens to change aspect ratio. I think i'll hum the panzer song while doing it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.