AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which do you guys think is a better TV? I'm thinking about getting the Toshiba 56H80, mainly because the Good Guys is selling it for ~ $3500 and I have a Good Guys account ( http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ).

However, I have seen the Pioneer for the same price and I'm wondering if I should rethink my choice.

Pioneer SD-532-HD5:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...22,338,00.html

Toshiba 56H80:
http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/tv/56H80.html

I was only joking about the Good Guys account being the "main" reason why I want the Toshiba. From what I've read about it, it sounds like a GREAT HDTV. This will be my first HDTV.......

------------------

Peace....

·
Registered
103 Posts
if you can see both tv's side by side witht he same feed you will see that

the Pioneer is alot sharper. The Pioneer is also easier to converge but the color decoder is not as accurate as the Toshiba. As long as you get the Pioneer ISF calibrated and then keep up with small minor adjustments every month, its a wonderful tv.

The prices on hte elite models are also coming down, the Pro 510 is an amazing tv.

·
Banned
410 Posts
I have the 532.

After the ISF (really a necessary process) I couldn't be happier with it.

Haven't seen the Tosh. so my opinion is completely and totally biased and one-sided.

FWIW

Rick

·
Registered
609 Posts
I got the 56H80 because my local ISF callibrator said he could do much better with that set than any other. Before calibration not so good, after wonderful.

------------------

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have seen both of these HDTV's displayed side by side at a local B.B. with a HD feed. Both looked great. However after I had tweeked with the contrast, brightness, sharpness and color controls, I thought the Toshiba 56H80 came across with a more window like appearance, even though the Pioneer SD-532-HD5 seem to have a better color decoder.

Also the Pioneer lends itself a darker picture than the Toshiba. Keep in mind that the sets were not shown under the best lighting for RPTV's, but I came away thinking the Toshiba looked better.

Now, had the sets been ISF calibrated, then that of course could change my preliminary opinion of both sets.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info!

------------------

Peace....

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by wanthdtv:
I thought the Toshiba 56H80 came across with a more window like appearance, even though the Pioneer SD-532-HD5 seem to have a better color decoder.
What do you mean by a "window like appearance"? I'm new to HDTV technology/terminology so please be patient with me.... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Peace....

·
Registered
636 Posts
I did a 'soul'searching of HDTVs and ended up with Tosh 56H80 and boy-I'm happy camper http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Tom, I got my 56H80 from authorized dealer in LA for ~2800 incl warranty. E-Mail me if you are interested.

Also if you want to buy locally, make GG match Video Only Price of $3K on 56H80.

Cheers,

Kishore

[This message has been edited by Kishore (edited 04-19-2001).]

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
While I consider the Pioneer SD models better (just a bit better) then the current Toshiba models I must say that these days if you buy a Pioneer, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Panasonic HDTV you will be VERY pleased with your purchase! I think all these manufacturers are producing superb HDTV's and you can't go wrong with any of them. The main consideration would be the subtle differences in features that you prefer one over the others.

------------------

------------------
My DVD/LD List My Equipment List

·
Registered
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FrankS:
I think all these manufacturers are producing superb HDTV's and you can't go wrong with any of them. The main consideration would be the subtle differences in features that you prefer one over the others.
I think that is an excellent point. If you do a search on this forum, you'll find threads about the new Mits line having uncorrectable problems with red push. Besides that, all the HDTV sets on the market now seem to have their proponents. Which means none of them are just awful and I'm sure most of them calibrate just fine.

Speaking of subtle differences, I bought a Toshiba TW56X81 in large part because the Toshiba RPTVs maintain aspect ratio control when receiving a 480p signal. I use a DVDO iScan to double LaserDiscs as well as the occasional 4:3 and Letterbox DVD. Most other sets lock into the anamorphic mode when receiving a 480p signal. To me, this is not an insignificant feature, but it doesn't get discussed very much. I haven't read any reviews of the new "H" series Tosh sets, but I assume they have retained this feature.

The "window like appearance" is just that. The feeling that you are looking through a window when viewing a really good HD transfer.

Kent

------------------

The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.