AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So...today I slipped into OCD mode. I am in search of a replacement TV.

My current TV is a 70" Sony...it's got some issues so soon it may be put out to pasture.

I have been looking at deals for weeks and now that all the Black Friday deals are available to see, I was very disappointed to find that many of the higher end models will not be on sale. Maybe this is just the way of things, maybe most Black Friday shoppers aren't looking for the top tier models.

The result of this revelation was a trip down to the local Best Buy where I spent more time than I care to admit, comparing the picture of various TV models. I learned many things, what I want, what I don't want. Unfortunately for me, I learned that you get what you pay for. A lesson learned many times in life...it would be nice though if for once it just wasn't true.

I learned that almost all, if not completely all, of the majorly discounted TVs on Black Friday are essentially last year's crap models or were just mediocre when they hit the market.

I learned what I already knew...that curved TVs don't make any sense and aren't for me. I learned that modern Vizio's have a pretty picture, especially the M and P series. Unfortunately for Vizio, they also come with a gimicky touchscreen remote. That was an excellent way for Vizio to take itself out of the running. And I learned that there are a whole lot of TVs that are fine and dandy until you put them next to the real special models.

So, who are these great ones...well as you might already know LG's OLED series. My personal preference is the 65" B6. I don't need, nor want the sound bar, so the E6 was disqualified for having features I don't need and a price I don't want. The other winners, anything in the Sony 850D and 940D series. Such pretty HDR pictures, makes you want to cry.

I would have thought that after my current debacle with Sony I would be turned off by Sony TVs but, they were so clear and pretty all was forgiven.

Which brings me to my present conundrum. Do I go with the 65" LG B6 or do I go with the 75" Sony 850D for the same price. I could save about about $1,500 if I get the 65" version of the 850D instead, but I just...don't....know. It is a mega savings to get the 850D in 65" but I would already be stepping down in size to get any 65". Bigger always seems to be the goal in many aspects of life, TVs are generally no different. So...

What would you do? Do you get the OLED? Do you get the bargain? Do you get the giant?

I think I know the benefits and drawbacks of each...reminders are welcome though.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Which brings me to my present conundrum. Do I go with the 65" LG B6 or do I go with the 75" Sony 850D for the same price. I could save about about $1,500 if I get the 65" version of the 850D instead, but I just...don't....know. It is a mega savings to get the 850D in 65" but I would already be stepping down in size to get any 65". Bigger always seems to be the goal in many aspects of life, TVs are generally no different. So...

What would you do? Do you get the OLED? Do you get the bargain? Do you get the giant?

I think I know the benefits and drawbacks of each...reminders are welcome though.

The 850D, like the other poster prev stated, is terrible for black levels.

DKatz from CNET ripped it a new one............Here's the review:

https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-xbr-x850d-series/review/

·
Registered
335 Posts
Biased opinion, as I'm a 940D owner, but I decided that for me, the size was important so I went with the Sony over 65" OLED. I'd definitely recommend the 940D over 850D if you decide to go for size.

If you are willing to spend (a lot) more the Sony Z9D is the pick of the lot in 70+ IMHO.

·
Registered
16,350 Posts
The 850D, like the other poster prev stated, is terrible for black levels.

DKatz from CNET ripped it a new one............Here's the review:

https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-xbr-x850d-series/review/
That's because it is an IPS panel, which do not have good black levels compared to PVA panels, but the off-axis viewing is far superior. However, with a professional calibration and the proper use of a bias light, some of that can be mitigated.

·
Registered
467 Posts

My current TV is a 70" Sony...it's got some issues so soon it may be put out to pasture.

I have been looking at deals for weeks and now that all the Black Friday deals are available to see, I was very disappointed to find that many of the higher end models will not be on sale. Maybe this is just the way of things, maybe most Black Friday shoppers aren't looking for the top tier models.

The result of this revelation was a trip down to the local Best Buy where I spent more time than I care to admit, comparing the picture of various TV models. I learned many things, what I want, what I don't want. Unfortunately for me, I learned that you get what you pay for. A lesson learned many times in life...it would be nice though if for once it just wasn't true.

I learned that almost all, if not completely all, of the majorly discounted TVs on Black Friday are essentially last year's crap models or were just mediocre when they hit the market.

I learned what I already knew...that curved TVs don't make any sense and aren't for me. I learned that modern Vizio's have a pretty picture, especially the M and P series. Unfortunately for Vizio, they also come with a gimicky touchscreen remote. That was an excellent way for Vizio to take itself out of the running. And I learned that there are a whole lot of TVs that are fine and dandy until you put them next to the real special models.

So, who are these great ones...well as you might already know LG's OLED series. My personal preference is the 65" B6. I don't need, nor want the sound bar, so the E6 was disqualified for having features I don't need and a price I don't want. The other winners, anything in the Sony 850D and 940D series. Such pretty HDR pictures, makes you want to cry.

I would have thought that after my current debacle with Sony I would be turned off by Sony TVs but, they were so clear and pretty all was forgiven.

If you're OCD, then your only options are OLED or FALD. So, if I were you, I'd stick with the B6 or get the Samsung KS9800 (i) if you want to stay within a relatively similar price range and (ii) if you're brand conscious (if you're not brand conscious, then get the Vizio P series for most bang for your buck). If you want to pay a bit more, then the x940D (and a lot more $$$, then the Z9D). Personally, I have a new appreciation for Sony's x930D now... it's really great and only a hair over $2K.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I bought a Vizio P75-c1, which I'm extremely happy with. I'm very curious to see how LeEco's purchase of Vizio turns out, since it hasn't yet been finalized and LeEco is currently under a cash crunch.

Here's a link to LeEco's most recent TV, which hasn't been released yet, but with DV, a 7 foot screen, and priced under $5000, this is a TV I would LOVE to see.

http://www.lemall.com/us/tv/leeco_umax85/index.html

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All comments are appreciated alike, the enthusiastic, the cynical, and the ones that didn't read all of the original post.

I went on another adventure today and have altered the choices somewhat. Based upon the comments above and a gander at the 850D up close, the 850D has been removed from the running. Which is unfortunate because it was the cheapest of the bunch...but also unsurprising...as it is the cheapest. Just say no to gray that pretends to be black and to light bleed/flashing/clouding etc.

I have added two contenders to the mix, though both are longshots. The Samsung something something 9000 and the Sony something something Z9D. The Sony is out because...ahrem...$5,498. I'm buying a TV, not a car. The Samsung is nice...but at 65" I'm not sure if it's worth my time. If I am going to make the sacrifice to get a smaller TV such as a 65", its going to have to have a picture that makes you want to cry. Otherwise I'll get a 'nice' 75". At 65" the Samsung is pretty, very pretty...but it's not even close to the same ballpark as the Z9D or the LG B6. To boot, the LG B6 can be found right now for as low as $2500 at one seller and Best Buy is price matching this for some folks. The $300 difference between the 9000 and the B6 is easily worth the upgrade.

One other thing happened today that complicated the process. I was tested with a moment that made it seem like picking a TV is going to be as difficult as deciding on your favorite child. Two Sony TVs were on display...on top was a 65" 930D and on bottom was a 75" 850D. They were lined up so that the edges on one side were in the exact same location. By doing this you could easily see the size difference between a 65" TV and a 75" TV. It was heartbreaking...It was like putting Shaquille O'Neil next to Spud Webb. But also it was like putting Jennifer Garner next to umm Cher? The proximity of the two TVs made the flaws of the 850D abundantly clear.

So...perhaps the question has morphed...would you buy a great 65" or a good 75" TV...and if so, which one?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
All comments are appreciated alike, the enthusiastic, the cynical, and the ones that didn't read all of the original post.

I went on another adventure today and have altered the choices somewhat. Based upon the comments above and a gander at the 850D up close, the 850D has been removed from the running. Which is unfortunate because it was the cheapest of the bunch...but also unsurprising...as it is the cheapest. Just say no to gray that pretends to be black and to light bleed/flashing/clouding etc.

I have added two contenders to the mix, though both are longshots. The Samsung something something 9000 and the Sony something something Z9D. The Sony is out because...ahrem...$5,498. I'm buying a TV, not a car. The Samsung is nice...but at 65" I'm not sure if it's worth my time. If I am going to make the sacrifice to get a smaller TV such as a 65", its going to have to have a picture that makes you want to cry. Otherwise I'll get a 'nice' 75". At 65" the Samsung is pretty, very pretty...but it's not even close to the same ballpark as the Z9D or the LG B6. To boot, the LG B6 can be found right now for as low as $2500 at one seller and Best Buy is price matching this for some folks. The $300 difference between the 9000 and the B6 is easily worth the upgrade.

One other thing happened today that complicated the process. I was tested with a moment that made it seem like picking a TV is going to be as difficult as deciding on your favorite child. Two Sony TVs were on display...on top was a 65" 930D and on bottom was a 75" 850D. They were lined up so that the edges on one side were in the exact same location. By doing this you could easily see the size difference between a 65" TV and a 75" TV. It was heartbreaking...It was like putting Shaquille O'Neil next to Spud Webb. But also it was like putting Jennifer Garner next to umm Cher? The proximity of the two TVs made the flaws of the 850D abundantly clear.

So...perhaps the question has morphed...would you buy a great 65" or a good 75" TV...and if so, which one?

Ha, I'm in the same boat as you. I have an 08 Panny Plasma 50" and don't want to go any smaller than 65. Preferably 75-80. So I'm having trouble myself. I might just wait another year for the bang/buck model to adjust. Spending $4-$5k for a good TV just seems like too much.

·
Registered
467 Posts

Get either the Vizio P-75 or the Sony x940D if you're price and size conscious and you're good to go. Both are great options with great PQ, and given BB's return policy, you can audition both in your home.

Reactions: salavs

·
Registered
335 Posts
What @Radvlad said. I made the same choice to get a "nice" 75" as I wanted the greater immersion a larger screen brings and hence went with 940D. At one point I weakened and almost traded up to the Z9D but sense eventually prevailed and I saved the 5k for other indulgences :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What @Radvlad said. I made the same choice to get a "nice" 75" as I wanted the greater immersion a larger screen brings and hence went with 940D. At one point I weakened and almost traded up to the Z9D but sense eventually prevailed and I saved the 5k for other indulgences :)

What's the story on these 'smearing' issues that some are having with the 940D? Has that been fixed?

Working with Sony now to see if something can be worked out. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
335 Posts
What's the story on these 'smearing' issues that some are having with the 940D? Has that been fixed?

Working with Sony now to see if something can be worked out. Stay tuned.
I'm not aware of any fix for this. It reproduces on my set for certain content but it doesn't bother me enough as it's only visible on certain content. It comes down to what types of issues will bother you most and the best compromise available (and no matter what anyone says, every set out there involves compromising something).

·
Registered
446 Posts

Most people with good eye sight that have never owned a well adjusted plasma probably don't know what it means to have great black levels. The exception being those that really like colors to 'pop'. Some love that, some find it unrealistic.

Remember when the high end Pioneer plasmas were up against the bling bling Sharp's and Sony's? The demo loop for the plasma was often a rock concert with a dark stage, players dressed in black, black speakers and amplifies, black curtains, etc. The demo was filmed from back stage in a dark area and the thing was you could make out every detail and every 'shade' of black. The LCD's in contrast, pun intended, had either a solid white or solid black background with stationary brightly colored objects or they moved around slowly.

Pick which style you like better or best matches the content you watch the most.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A few developments in finding my new TV...

I have been discussing my broken TV with Sony for several weeks. They are going to give me a partial reimbursement on the purchase price of my TV. They also offered me an older TV at a terrible price and unfortunately the TV they offered wasn't very good. To their credit, they didn't have to do anything. Even though the TV has a manufacturing defect, I didn't contact them within the warranty period.

However, now due to the length of time it took to resolve the issue I have missed all the best holiday deals on a replacement.

Best Buy was willing to sell me the XBR75X940D at $3,998 - 10% and tax included at that price, so $3599. A decent deal I think.

Similarly they were willing to sell me the LG OLED65B6P at $2,899 - 10% and tax included at that price, so $2610.

Prices are now back up and the same deals may not be available. Any suggestions on what to do?

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
You will instantly change your mind about the 850D if you saw it in a dark room, as it's an IPS panel. B6 all day every day.
I got my mom an 850D, it is a really nice set until you turn the lights off. Lucky for her she always has a light on. Really too bad, because it is otherwise a sweet picture.

·
Registered
774 Posts
In my opinion you have to stick with 1000 NITS or higher panel, which would rule out the 850, and the G6, also if you care about gaming that rules out FALD. I hate android OS, lots of issues, reboots, etc. Color banding issues on the Vizio.

Which leaves Samsung 9000 - 9800 as the best overall all around panels. Sony 940D does not have Game + HDR mode like the Samsung models, the Samsung models are the brightest panels and also confirmed support upcoming HLG HDR, Dynamic HDR 10 and VP9 profile 2/3.

It's all about HDR. And HDR is all about brightness. I have heavily compared the 940D vs KS9000 and so far I am keeping the KS9000.

Samsung just released Youtube HDR support on all their HDR panels.

Really it comes down to what you like best. I would suggest reading all the threads and choose which panel has the least issues or at least meets your requirements.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Interesting, I had not heard that about HDR with the Sony. About half my use will be for gaming. The Samsung KS9000 is one I have considered but it hasn't been a front runner of late. I will give it a closer look.

By chance do you know if the feet of the KS9000 can be moved inward? Many Sony models have an alternative feet location about a third of the way in toward the middle.

Thx

1 - 19 of 19 Posts