AVS Forum banner

Battle of the shrimp subs! Dayton SUB-800 or Martin Logan Dynamo 300???

• Dayton SUB-800

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Martin Logan Dynamo 300

Votes: 19 57.6%
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me decide which sub to buy for my PC. The sub will be for 'near-field' listening for video games, movies AND music! So, I want a sub that has decent impact, tightness with only slight 'bloat' in the deepest frequencies being acceptable. "Snappy"/controlled bass would be better than loose/farty bass. Gun shots in games need 'snap' and explosions need 'punch', not mush bass. Please vote on which sub can more likely deliver this criteria in a near-field listening environment.

Indecisive? Let the forum decide.

Thank you. Now pick me a winner!

The Dayton 8" looks like the best candidate so far:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-627

The Martin Logan Dynamo 300 is on sale for 129$ on amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/MartinLogan-Dynamo-300-Theater-Subwoofer/dp/B004LRPXAU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372183200&sr=8-1&keywords=martin+logan+dynamo+300

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Can you post two links in your question/post.

·
Banned
8,303 Posts
Due to depth of extension. go with the Martin Logan,

But if you cared, you'd go with the Dayton, SUB-1200 which, for the same price, goes deeper, comes with a 12" driver and fifty percent more amplification which equals more output.

-

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458  /t/1479013/battle-of-the-shrimp-subs-dayton-sub-800-or-martin-logan-dynamo-300#post_23469008

But if you cared, you'd go with the Dayton, SUB-1200 which, for the same price, goes deeper, comes with a 12" driver and fifty percent more amplification which equals more output.

-

+1 Thankyou for the links, I'm lazy

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458  /t/1479013/battle-of-the-shrimp-subs-dayton-sub-800-or-martin-logan-dynamo-300#post_23469008

-

Sorry but specific size requirements on this one. The sub must fit in a small location, so it's physical dimensions must be small. So, it's budget mini sub vs budget mini sub.

·
Banned
8,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91  /t/1479013/battle-of-the-shrimp-subs-dayton-sub-800-or-martin-logan-dynamo-300#post_23469111

Sorry but specific size requirements on this one. The sub must fit in a small location, so it's physical dimensions must be small. So, it's budget mini sub vs budget mini sub.

What are your size constraints?

Personally, your choices in subwoofer based sound reproduction is terrible and in my opinion, you're not going be happy with either of your stated choices. Just saying, based on manufacture provided specifications, your, due to size constraints demands of making a subwoofer fit into a specific location, guarantees fail as the outcome.

-

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck  /t/1479013/battle-of-the-shrimp-subs-dayton-sub-800-or-martin-logan-dynamo-300#post_23469215

The subs seem comparable. I'd get the Dayton only because:

- it's well-rated; and

- I can't see the 60% more-expensive ML being 60% better.

Don't forget to vote folks!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458  /t/1479013/battle-of-the-shrimp-subs-dayton-sub-800-or-martin-logan-dynamo-300#post_23469197

What are your size constraints?

Personally, your choices in subwoofer based sound reproduction is terrible and in my opinion, you're not going be happy with either of your stated choices. Just saying, based on manufacture provided specifications, your, due to size constraints demands of making a subwoofer fit into a specific location, guarantees fail as the outcome.

-

I believe the size constraints from the original thread are 14" x 14" x 14".

The near-field purpose of the sub is clearly stated by the op in the first post of the thread, and no expectations other than decent sound quality have been given.

You can't know what someone will or will not be happy with before they have stated everything they are looking for

·
Banned
8,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James  /t/1479013/battle-of-the-shrimp-subs-dayton-sub-800-or-martin-logan-dynamo-300#post_23469884

You can't know what someone will or will not be happy with before they have stated everything they are looking for

Based on the two choices listed, of course one can and allow me to quote myself: "...and in my opinion, you're not going be happy with either of your stated choices."

And I stand by that "opinion." Allow me to offer an alternative; I'm not the best for offering opinions on PC based subwoofer systems.

-

·
Banned
8,303 Posts
It's not difficult. Pick what's important; sound quality or size. If sound quality is important, size compromises will be made. If size is important, sound quality compromises will be made. What a person chooses to do, represents what they care about.

(my apologies as you found my choice of words offensive)

When one asks for advice, it's understood that by asking for advice, responses are not always be what one wants to read but if one is being genuine regarding their request for advice, they'll appreciate the brevity of the advised recommendation.

Personally, I don't think the OP will be happy with either of their posted choices and in my opinion, the OP should be looking to alternative choices that fit within the constraints of their budget which, include choices that are larger than the two choices presented in the poll.

If the OP insists the two choices are their only two choices, then they'll have to live with the outcome of the restrictions they personally laid out. Down the road, I don't expect them to be happy and expect them to wish they had made alternative choices. My bet, if they stick with their posted choices, after getting the subwoofer system up and running, they'll better understand my recommendation and due to dissatisfaction, will upgrade their choice where such a restricted size is not a consideration.

(I should have listened to that bee dude)

Nothing wrong with giving advice one does not ask for. If the OP finds the pointed out comment offensive, my apologies to him and anybody else who took offense to my choice of words but personally, in my defense, I find that someone who chooses size over sound quality, cares about size and not sound quality.

-

·
Banned
8,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck  /t/1479013/battle-of-the-shrimp-subs-dayton-sub-800-or-martin-logan-dynamo-300#post_23470657

...while meeting his size/placement and budgetary constraints.

And we both know that due to size and budget, he's going be disappointed. A person is what they do, not what they say and when one says they care about quality and then in pretty much the same breath, kills any chance of acquiring said quality, then in truth, they don't care about quality. In this case, pushing me on this issue isn't going change the brevity of my opinion.

The choices the OP has are, up the budget, up the size, do both or do without sound quality. If the OP cares and size is a paramount issue, he'll do his best to increase his budget considerably and acquire what he wants such as a SVS, SB-1000 where he would have both; size and quality. Caring comes with expectations as one can't say they care and then turn around, shoot themselves in the foot and repeat, I care. It's like you're trying to slam me against the wall, twisting my arm up in the process, all the while saying: "Say he can have what he wants" and you'll back off.

Okay, uncle, he can have what he wants. But my posting this is a lie and we both know it.

His choices are, boot sound quality issues and go with size for the price or for the price, boot size issues and go with higher sound quality (which is what he says he wants) or, he boots price and goes with sound quality and size. What the OP chooses to do will represent what they care about.

I'll let you have the last word on the issue as it gets circular from here.

-

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck  /t/1479013/battle-of-the-shrimp-subs-dayton-sub-800-or-martin-logan-dynamo-300#post_23470323

It appears that the OP has size/placement and budgetary constraints, and that he's trying to find something that will work within those constraints. How does that equate to him "not caring"?

We never stick to the original budget. Size always goes by the wayside and if the OP wants sealed we talk him into ported.., but then if the OP desires ported, we talk him into sealed! You should know that by now.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458  /t/1479013/battle-of-the-shrimp-subs-dayton-sub-800-or-martin-logan-dynamo-300#post_23470068

Based on the two choices listed, of course one can and allow me to quote myself: "...and in my opinion, you're not going be happy with either of your stated choices."

And I stand by that "opinion." Allow me to offer an alternative; I'm not the best for offering opinions on PC based subwoofer systems.

-

You do understand this is for 'near-field' listening, right? From my experience, you don't need a 12-inch sub in order to have 25Hz range response 'near-field' (I'm literally going to be sitting right next to it). I don't require any lower than that. An 8" sub with a decent design should be sufficient to deliver generous, accurate and deep near-field bass provided that it's not a poor driver in the design. Also, I will be able to run an auto-calibration on the system which should flatten out response issues. So, let's take this from the top and not get all silly here.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458  /t/1479013/battle-of-the-shrimp-subs-dayton-sub-800-or-martin-logan-dynamo-300#post_23470710

And we both know that due to size and budget, he's going be disappointed. A person is what they do, not what they say and when one says they care about quality and then in pretty much the same breath, kills any chance of acquiring said quality, then in truth, they don't care about quality. In this case, pushing me on this issue isn't going change the brevity of my opinion.

The choices the OP has are, up the budget, up the size, do both or do without sound quality. If the OP cares and size is a paramount issue, he'll do his best to increase his budget considerably and acquire what he wants such as a SVS, SB-1000 where he would have both; size and quality. Caring comes with expectations as one can't say they care and then turn around, shoot themselves in the foot and repeat, I care. It's like you're trying to slam me against the wall, twisting my arm up in the process, all the while saying: "Say he can have what he wants" and you'll back off.

Okay, uncle, he can have what he wants. But my posting this is a lie and we both know it.

His choices are, boot sound quality issues and go with size for the price or for the price, boot size issues and go with higher sound quality (which is what he says he wants) or, he boots price and goes with sound quality and size. What the OP chooses to do will represent what they care about.

I'll let you have the last word on the issue as it gets circular from here.

-

Well, it sure is a good thing we live in a perfect world of absolutes, where sound quality is completely defined by extension and output and every situation absolutely requires 20hz at 120db. If we didn't your opinion might not be very valid

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
You do understand this is for 'near-field' listening, right? From my experience, you don't need a 12-inch sub in order to have 25Hz range response 'near-field'. I don't require any lower than that. An 8" sub with a decent design should be sufficient to deliver generous, accurate and deep near-field bass provided that it's not a poor driver in the design. Also, I will be able to run an auto-calibration on the system which should flatten out response issues. So, let's take this from the top and not get all silly here.

Maybe a little optimistic, I get some good tactile feel from the 8's in my Psb 500's near-field, but more around the 35hz range and they plummet below 30.

The Dayton is likely a good 40hz performer and the Martin Logan is probably a good 35hz performer. There may be a couple of options closer to the 300$ budget in your other thread, but it's difficult to find a compact sub with a low tune below 300$.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458  /t/1479013/battle-of-the-shrimp-subs-dayton-sub-800-or-martin-logan-dynamo-300#post_23470710

Trying to tempt me with products beyond my budget? A 12-inch sub seems like overkill considering I won't be using all the output it's capable of while I'm sitting right next to it. Therefore, there will be about 80% of it's capability left unused. With a smaller sub, I will use a bit more of the output it's capable of, but still coming well short of it's total SPL output capabilities. So, convince me why it's necessary to buy a sub with so much more headroom that won't be utilized?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James  /t/1479013/battle-of-the-shrimp-subs-dayton-sub-800-or-martin-logan-dynamo-300#post_23470964

Maybe a little optimistic, I get some good tactile feel from the 8's in my Psb 500's near-field, but more around the 35hz range and they plummet below 30.

The Dayton is likely a good 40hz performer and the Martin Logan is probably a good 35hz performer. There may be a couple of options closer to the 300$ budget in your other thread, but it's difficult to find a compact sub with a low tune below 300$.

Remember that as you get closer to speakers, the efficiency & output increase dramatically. It's why you can stick earbud headphones in your ear canal and get 20Hz response. Because the closer to your ear canal the driver is, the LOUDER it is at ALL frequencies, thereby increasing the headroom of the driver(s). When sitting literally right next to a subwoofer, you WILL have the ability to tune the sub to playback audible frequencies that you would not hear from a distance. It becomes a matter of proper tuning at the listening position. This is also why you can utilize very small drivers and achieve THX certification for multi-media desk speakers. The proximity of the listener to the speakers changes everything about the capabilities of the reproduction.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts