AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sent a copy of this great (violent) film from HONG KONG this week. It is a legit, above board region 3 release. However, its quality left a lot to be desired. Its not awfull, but its not great either.

Power DVD was dropping frames and tripping up over Bob and Weave. So was WinDVD. This is a very poorly encoded or flagged dvd. The picture clarity is fine, but its all over the place in terms of image stability and smoothness.

So, as a last resort I inserted it into a now defunct Sony 7700 DVD machine. This looked great through DSCALER 308. No jerks, dropped frames or the like. It looked great! So the moral is, dont bin those set tops just yet ;)

Naturally, software players are my 1st choice, but on this occassion they lost out to the old man of my Rack!

Just thought I'd share...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just got my Battle royale disc too great movie i got the hong kong release like yours im guessing the picture is kinda crappy in comparsion to the japanese version from what ive heard(why dont they just use the same damn transfer...) but it worked fine in winDVD for me im running 3.0

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Craig: thanks for the report. Could you please post any relevant changes from the default that you used on deinterlacing? What deinterlacing algorithm did you use?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Deinterlace settings are always set as:

Auto pulldown detect

Judder termination

Adaptive

I think it stayed in greedy 2 frame for most of the movie.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SpiderGEC

It plays fine for me to, but upon close inspection on a big screen, you will see where the bad flagging of the source affects the image. Even my DVDo Iscan had problems, flicking between its video and film auto modes. I guess the disc doesnt know what it wants to be.

Isnt it just a great film though?????????????????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.