AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
There is always the possibility that this could actually wind up being a good film....though a lot will depend on who they get as the leads, and possibly what gender they are. Will they go back to Boomer being a black man and Starbuck, also a man, being a skirt chasing flyboy?

Eddie Almos gave such a stunning performance as Adama in the recent series that it will require someone at least of his stature to pull this off.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
I hope it winds up good, as I am a BSG fan (new and original).

Just not sure how great of an idea it is to do a movie that's based on a show that was never that popular and was remade into another show that was never that popular (although with a rabid fanbase and critical acclaim, it still couldn't garner good ratings).

Yeah, it has a built-in fanbase, but it couldn't keep either show on TV. Of course, that didn't stop Serenity from being made (thankfully)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Hmmm, seems like a bad idea, what are the chances that they get the "re-imagining" right two times in a row.

Also can we impose a moratorium on the word "re-imagining", I mean really it's just a remake, let's leave imagining to John Lennon.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
It will be tough to beat the recently ended series. It has been some of the best television I have seen in a while. The real question is; what is happening with Caprica? Is the series still going to go, or is it dead. I really enjoyed the pilot episode.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr /forum/post/16999796

Eddie Almos gave such a stunning performance as Adama in the recent series that it will require someone at least of his stature to pull this off.

And... have you seen/heard his [cough] "performance" at the UN when the cast was invited once the series was over? The guy seems to take himself a little bit too seriously... Besides, his low monochord tone wasn't that stunning to me. I guess it was to make Adama look more "severe"

·
Registered
6,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren_G /forum/post/17000987

It will be tough to beat the recently ended series. It has been some of the best television I have seen in a while. The real question is; what is happening with Caprica? Is the series still going to go, or is it dead. I really enjoyed the pilot episode.

According to the SyFy site , it is still scheduled for January 22, 2010.

I also thought the pilot episode was surprisingly good.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper /forum/post/17000034

I hope it winds up good, as I am a BSG fan (new and original).

Just not sure how great of an idea it is to do a movie that's based on a show that was never that popular and was remade into another show that was never that popular (although with a rabid fanbase and critical acclaim, it still couldn't garner good ratings).

Yeah, it has a built-in fanbase, but it couldn't keep either show on TV. Of course, that didn't stop Serenity from being made (thankfully)

Oh, you mean like Star Trek...

·
Registered
21,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr /forum/post/16999796

Eddie Almos [sic, his last name is actually Olmos.] gave such a stunning performance as Adama in the recent series that it will require someone at least of his stature to pull this off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo /forum/post/17001080

And... have you seen/heard his [cough] "performance" at the UN when the cast was invited once the series was over? The guy seems to take himself a little bit too seriously... Besides, his low monochord tone wasn't that stunning to me. I guess it was to make Adama look more "severe"

Olmos is a terrific actor, never better than he was in the BSG TV series. Nevertheless, he is another arrogant but poorly educated Hollywood lefty who keeps shooting himself in the foot by popping off and acting out when he would have been far better advised to have kept quiet. It's not as if that kind of thing is unusual in Tinseltown.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/17010065

Olmos is a terrific actor, never better than he was in the BSG TV series. Nevertheless, he is another arrogant but poorly educated Hollywood lefty who keeps shooting himself in the foot by popping off and acting out when he would have been far better advised to have kept quiet. It's not as if that kind of thing is unusual in Tinseltown.

Yeah, but Eddie says such really stupid things that it's easy to completely ignore him and just enjoy his great acting. Appears he's only as smart as the writers of whatever role he's playing.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar /forum/post/17010710

Yeah, but Eddie says such really stupid things that it's easy to completely ignore him and just enjoy his great acting. Appears he's only as smart as the writers of whatever role he's playing.

Yep, that's Hollyweird -- think Tom Cruise, and he's not even that good an actor..

·
Registered
3,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr /forum/post/17001084

According to the SyFy site , it is still scheduled for January 22, 2010.

I also thought the pilot episode was surprisingly good.

Yes, thats right about it starting in 2010, and I too thought the pilot was excellant, I have it on dvd.

I am not sure about the movie of Battlestar Gallactica if they are going to make everything different, but I will probably go see it anyway.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/17010745

Yep, that's Hollyweird -- think Tom Cruise, and he's not even that good an actor..

Well, maybe I'm just not a fan of Olmos... OTOH, Tom Cruise... Born On The 4th Of July, Magnolia, Collateral, Jerry Maguire, Valkyrie, and the list could go on... He proved more than once that he can act.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo /forum/post/17027263

Well, maybe I'm just not a fan of Olmos... OTOH, Tom Cruise... Born On The 4th Of July, Magnolia, Collateral, Jerry Maguire, Valkyrie, and the list could go on... He proved more than once that he can act.

To me Cruise is a short, whiney voiced, pretty boy who has gone through his career playing cocky pilots, cocky sports agents, cocky race car drivers, and cocky disabled veterans ad nauseam. I used to try to take the guy seriously but finally had to give it up as a bad job.
About all I can say in his favor is that he, or his handlers, have made excellent choices in his roles. Unfortunately, though, even when the films he is in were good ones, my reaction was that he wasn't quite as bad as I had feared he might be. He is, to say the least, two dimensional.

Olmos may make himself his own worst enemy with his big mouth but he at least turns in credible performances and sometimes impressive ones.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/17027614

To me Cruise is a short, whiney voiced, pretty boy who has gone through his career playing cocky pilots, cocky sports agents, cocky race car drivers, and cocky disabled veterans ad nauseam. I used to try to take the guy seriously but finally had to give it up as a bad job.
About all I can say in his favor is that he, or his handlers, have made excellent choices in his roles. Unfortunately, though, even when the films he is in were good ones, my reaction was that he wasn't quite as bad as I had feared he might be. He is, to say the least, two dimensional.

Olmos may make himself his own worst enemy with his big mouth but he at least turns in credible performances and sometimes impressive ones.

LOL! Morpheo picked some of the best Cruise movies, and Gwsat picked his worst (although I couldn't stand Born on the 4th of July). Cruise, like many actors is a mixed bag. But I will say that Magnolia and Vanilla Sky are two of my favorite movies. I still say you need to check Magnolia out Gwsat. With your taste in quirky films, I still feel this one would be right down your alley. I think it's one Cruise's best performances as well. But there is an all-star cast in Magnolia, so it's not like he carries the film. It was also one of Jason Robards last films (if not his last).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.