AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, after hearing all the hoopla and praise for this show, I finally decided to watch the DVDs. I've been recieving one after the other from Netflix now for almost a month, and I've just started season 2.5 and have season 3 on TIVO awaiting the final disk from Netflix.

It's brilliant. Forget that it's sci-fi (for those of you who dislike sci-fi stuff), this is some of the best writing, acting, and special effects I've seen in ages.

NOW I hear that the Sci Fi Channel may not be picking it up for the 4th season after this one concludes. That would be an absolute shame, and when we live in an age when tv shows way outlive thier freshness (can anyone say "ER") and new series survive when they have absolutely no reason to, if this show doesn't get renewed......well, I'm done with TV and will stick strictly with film.

For those of you who have never seen an episode of this show, you don't know what you are missing.....

And now I'll step off my soapbox and let you get on with your lives.

·
Registered
460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsante /forum/post/0

Okay, after hearing all the hoopla and praise for this show, I finally decided to watch the DVDs. I've been recieving one after the other from Netflix now for almost a month, and I've just started season 2.5 and have season 3 on TIVO awaiting the final disk from Netflix.

It's brilliant. Forget that it's sci-fi (for those of you who dislike sci-fi stuff), this is some of the best writing, acting, and special effects I've seen in ages.

NOW I hear that the Sci Fi Channel may not be picking it up for the 4th season after this one concludes. That would be an absolute shame, and when we live in an age when tv shows way outlive thier freshness (can anyone say "ER") and new series survive when they have absolutely no reason to, if this show doesn't get renewed......well, I'm done with TV and will stick strictly with film.

For those of you who have never seen an episode of this show, you don't know what you are missing.....

And now I'll step off my soapbox and let you get on with your lives.

Um, the season four rumor has already been debunked on every web site I know of...check around I guess? This was old news a couple weeks ago, either a stupid fanboy rumor or just more clever underground marketing I guess.

They have confirmed they're about to kill off a major character though, and that an actor's name is about to be removed from the main credits of the show. They're also made it clear who it is in interviews, but I won't say as this isn't a SPOILERS thread.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
As long as a Sci fi show is hot it'll survive but when the ratings continually slump then they get the ax quickly because of the expense of the effects.

I'm looking to get caught up pretty fast as well. I'm glad we're seeing a show get resurrected in the right way with quality acting and writing.

·
Registered
29,283 Posts
'BSG' is the most prestigious show ever produced for the SciFi channel. It's gotten more buzz than everything else they've ever done all put together. Won a Peabody Award for best drama series last year. It's on nearly every TV critic's top 10 list w/ several having it as the "best show on TV".

It's not going anywhere for those reasons. There will be a fourth season.

But are the ratings lousy? Yep. Can't understand it; makes no sense to me. Ten times more people watch dreck like 'Desperate Housewives', and four times as many watch 'The Closer' (another basic cable show). It's sad; really, really sad. The American TV audience gets what it deserves, I guess. But 'BSG' sells well on DVD; it's likely still profitable for NBCU.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.