AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I downloaded the demo. Tried a few games. As with my old PC days of Operation Flashpoint, you spend more time sitting in the lobby waiting for everyone to "ready up" than you do playing. Especially in this case, since every game eventually had the host close the session because there was one person who couldn't or wouldn't ready up.

The best part is that when the host closes the session, the 360 locks up (at least for me) and has to be powered down and restarted completely.

So, in other words, I haven't actually played the game yet.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Attempt 1: Game locked up when attaching to a lobby.

Attempt 2: Got into the lobby, waited 10 min for everyone to get ready.

Game started and I was looking at a building on the shore. Hit a few buttons until B brought up a window allowing me to create two vessels. Made a ship and a submarine. Managed to launch the sub but not the ship.

I headed towards the enemy VERY slowly (Fair enough I am in a 1940s diesel sub!) Two planes caught up with me and buzzed by, I was able to switch to AA guns but the fire button did not work.

Match crashed before I reached anyone else.

I like the concept but I am not sure the demo is intuitive enough. An offline demo with a tutorial would have been a better idea I think.

·
Registered
287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard /forum/post/0

As with my old PC days of Operation Flashpoint, you spend more time sitting in the lobby waiting for everyone to "ready up" than you do playing.

There were so many great things about that game, all undone by some truly atrocious design decisions.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The demo is a piece of ****. Froze my 360 twice. When it didnt freeze my 360 you are sitting in a confusing lobby for 10 minutes. Once you get through the lobby the game loads at the begining and then freezes. What a turd.

P.S. The graphics look like crap from the small part of the game that I was able to see.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Played many games last night and yes had a few problems, but it's a demo. I like the feel and pace. I found out that if you keep the xbox media remote handy you can open the drive when is freezes and it will go into dash so you don't have to reboot. This is more than a shooter.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I played two games last night and no lockups. The impatient types do seem to leave the game in the middle of playing. This is game about tactics/strategic awarness first and then a "shooter" second.

I do say they should have used the tutorial that comes with the full game as the demo, NOT toss you in to a multiplayer fray with little/no documentation.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The controls are very frustrating. Also, I couldn't figure out the on screen indicator for when I could shoot my artillery guns on my destroyer. The three little circles just didn't make sense so I just kept hitting the right trigger rapidly and it seemed to fire pretty randomly.

And how do they expect us to control two ships at once!?

Great concept, bad execution. Too bad.

·
Registered
563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer65 /forum/post/0

Single player demo would have been a lot better in my opinion.

I don't see how. This is a game, like Battlefield, that seems built completely around multiplayer play.

It's not the most polished game in the world, and a tutorial would have really helped, but it's a lot of fun once everyone in the game knows what they're supposed to be doing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yea, it really is a lot of fun despite its fault. I'll definitely be playing some more of it tonight.

Is there a way to roll when you're in planes? I seemed to only be able to use the right joystick while flying, which really limits mobility.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Played on LIVE last night with a friend in the same house (no system link ??) had no issues at all but how confusing. I agree with most, where's the tutorial ? Can you get subs in the demo ?? The ship battles were great and being able to control squadrons of planes is saweeeeet. I think people will quickly loose interest in this game because of it's complexity and it's a long road to the end if you start loosing. I like it though.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.