Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Article in San Mateo County Tmies. Saturday eddition

AT&T Cable to start HDTV Broadcasting in 2003.:D

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Did it list the cities that would be the first to get the service? Seeing how as ATT and the City of San Jose are still duking it out over what new features to add and how much to charge the end user I don't see San Jose getting HD over cable any time soon let alone by 2003.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Any HD AT&T has scheduled will most surely be put off with the buy out of AT&T's Broadband TV/Internet to Comcast.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I am also very pessimistic . . . I can see them touting it as new technology but it will probably be launched on only 1 cable plant in 1 Bay Area city. I'll believe it when it actually happens.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
When I cancelled my AT&T subscription (got HD satellite/OTA receiver) and they asked me why. I just told them, "You don't carry HDTV signals" and she just said, "Yeah, we don't." I wonder what percentage of their cancellation database has "no HDTV signals". I wonder if that's any significant...

Hong.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
When I cancelled my AT&T subscription (in Palo Alto) recently, the person I talked to was in her own way very nice.

I told her the reason for may cancelling AT&T cable was lack of support for HDTV.

She read me a canned description about how HDTV was so new and standards were not set etc. and this was the reason why AT&T was not carrying it.

I told her that I have HDTV in my house and have had it for some time. Moreover, other cable systems do not have the problems that AT&T is claiming to have. I mentioned some cities (e.g., Raleigh NC with TWC) that have had HDTV for some time on their cable systems.

She said, yes, she had heard this before; she just had to read me the presentation that she had been given.

If you're going to lie, at least you might as well do it with a sense of humor I guess. :)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I also dropped ATT Broadband Cable to go with DirecTV and OTA for H/DTV. But, you know the ironic thing about this is that I'll probably HAVE to go back to cable to get NBC3 in HD. I can't receive it in SF via OTA and cable just may beat DBS when it comes to providing our local H/DTV. :(

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
stephenC: too bad... So the KNTV problem is for those living up north.

I just installed an OTA antenna and it seems KNTV (both analog and digital) is the strongest although I had my antenna point to Sutro. I am in San Jose, BTW.

Also, if you already have DirecTV, why not just add an option for local channels for $6/mo? AT&T won't (yet) carry HD signals anyway...

Hong.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Hi, Hong:

I have the SF locals via DirecTV so I can watch them on my non-HD sets. I only use the antenna to receive the H/DTV signals from Sutro. I just can't get KNTV for NBC which has announced more of their Fall shows will be HD.

Even though ATT will be slow to provide HD channels, I think they will be providing local HD channels via cable before DirecTV is ready to provide local HD service via satellite.

DirecTV is going to need some very good compression technology before they can provide all the local-into-local channels in HD. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.