AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or is everyone having problems receiving Fox 2 - KTVU?

My reception of KTVU has been a bit spotty in the past, but recently I'm not getting anything.

·
Registered
532 Posts
All this warm weather and absolutely clear skies ... it's just terrible. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Glad I'm not alone, last night was terrible, yet the weather was nice and clear, no too much wind, etc.

From Sunnyvale, it typically get worse in the evening, do you guys know why?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Even CBS had dropouts in the evening. Anybody knows where I can find an accurate schedule for DT-30? KQED has some listings on their website ( http://www.kqed.org/tv/dtv/upcoming.html ). When they refer to HDTV on DT-9.1 do they mean DT-30, or is there another digital channel? For some reason the HDTV program advertised for tonight on DT-9.1 (Evolution) was already broadcast on Sunday night on DT-30. I'm a bit confused...

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
thenexte,

You can check the national PBS schedule here . KQED just passes the national feed on 9-1 (and 30-1). When KQED has a special showing they interrupt the national feed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
thenexte: DT-30 is aliased onto 9.1. so they are referring to the same thing. (See this excellent table: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html )

Ken: From what I observed, KQED usually does not show HD shows the same time as the national feeds. I'm pretty sure Evolution was broadcast last month by most other PBS stations. KQED is just doing it now. (If you look at your link for the national PBS schedule, Evolution is not listed for June). The following is a cut and paste of part of an email I received from KQED:

As many of you know, KQED does not yet have a server on which we can store HDTV programs. As many of you also know, when PBS announces an HDTV program, they actually only feed the HDTV or Widescreen Definition signal in two of their five feeds of the evening.

The good news is... we now have one HD tape machine, and a few very expensive HD tapes, so we are now able to tape Widescreen SD and HDTV programs, and play them back as simulcasts with TV-9's schedule, as long as the broadcast is fairly close to the feed. The broadcast schedule will be a little easier to follow now.

The bad news is... we do occasionally need to skip programs that PBS has announced. If we don't think we'll be airing the program within 2-3 months of the feed, for the moment we might need to let a show go by because we can't tie up the tape stock, and we don't want to use up a release of a program broadcasting it only on DT-9.1 when we might want to keep that release for later use on TV-9.

What's a release? You're about to learn more about broadcast rules & regulations than you probably ever wanted to know. :::smile:::

Background: When KQED acquires broadcast rights for a program, we are told a time window in which we can broadcast the show (anything from a few days to a few years), AND how many times we can broadcast the show within that window. A few programs specify it right down to the number of telecasts (every use counts). Most programs specify a "release," meaning that we can use a program as much as we want WITHIN a 7-day period. So... if KQED's first broadcast of a show is at 8pm Tuesday, our final use of the show has to end by 7:59pm the following Tuesday to count as using only 1 release. If we air a program at 9pm Wed 10/10, then air it again on Friday 10/19, those broadcasts are 9 days apart, so count as 2 different releases. The most common contract allows for 4 releases over a 3 year period, though many are stingier, and a few more generous. We generally try to spread the use of a program out over the life of its contract.

Where this fits in the DT-9 scheme of things: The new plan is that if KQED TV-9 has a broadcast scheduled of a program within a reasonable time period after the feed, we'll tape the HDTV or Widescreen SD version to playback on DT-9 as well. This would still count as KQED using up only 1 release.

If the program is not slated for TV-9's schedule within 2-3 months, but the contract offers a generous number of releases, we may still broadcast the program as a special for DT-9 only. In this case, the schedule on our digital TV website would include a "TV-9 will be airing XYZ" note, so that you can make your choice. The exit out of the HDTV feed back to the pass through of TV-9's signal may be less than perfect when we do this, and you may end up joining some other show already in progress, but I told TPTB I didn't think DT-9 viewers would mind that very much.

However, if the contract for the show has a small number of releases, and we don't plant to air the program on TV-9 "soon," then we'll be skipping the broadcast on DT-9 as well. This situation will be resolved down the road once we're able to store programs digitally, but for now, we can't afford to tie up an expensive HD tape indefinitely. (We're still a few to several months from having the storage part of our conversion completed.)

Hopefully, I haven't confused or totally bored you with my "release" explanation, but it is the basic concept that'll be driving whether we adjust DT-9's schedule to accommodate the PBS feeds for the near future. So... while we might not be able bring you everything, we will be able to bring you most HD offers over the next several months. Let me know if I can answer any additional questions.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
42 Posts
By the way, thenexte, was Evolution really broadcast on Sunday night on KQED's digital broadcast? I didn't see it listed anywhere for Sunday night, and didn't notice it channel surfing that night.

·
Registered
95 Posts
DT-30 had Evolution on from 9-11PM "The Mind's Big Bang" & "What About God?" - the demo loop was interrupted. Haven't been able to find a listing about it either. I don't think KQED simulcasts channel 9 programs in HDTV on DT-30 (as networks do), I believe they are just letting the DT-30 signal pass through at this point, lacking the basic ability to store and rebroadcast HDTV programs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Interesting... that's the last 2 segments of the series, scheduled to air next Tuesday. I looked up the listings for a few random PBS stations across the country as well as the satellite feed for Sunday night, and no one else was showing it then. I wonder if someone at KQED made a mistake. The national feed for the entire series of Evolution was in May, so it couldn't be a passthrough. And as explained in the cut and paste letter from KQED in my earlier post, they do have basic capabilities for recording and rebroadcasting HD shows (one machine and a few tapes).

Usually KQED does not simulcast. But they are doing it with Evolution this week and next.

·
Registered
532 Posts
In the past, they'll show on 9.1 a HDTV or EDTV program at the same time they're taping it for its scheduled broadcast 3 hours later that evening. I don't know why Evolution suddenly appeared one day, unless the national feed was happening a week ahead of schedule. I just regret only catching the last 45 minutes or so. :(

Tonight, if all goes well, we'll see parts 1, 2, and 3.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My experience in Mountain View is a bit different. Usually the evenings are good for me. My reception seems to be poorer during the day.

I can get most of the channels with little or no tweaking. But, I have been completely unable to get KTVU for the last couple weeks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ze Bask
Glad I'm not alone, last night was terrible, yet the weather was nice and clear, no too much wind, etc.

From Sunnyvale, it typically get worse in the evening, do you guys know why?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thanks Ri-Chee! Just how much are the tapes? Need computer expertise?Just ask. Love my Digital 9.1 ! And appreciate all the work you folks have done.

Anyway; boy has KTVU been problematic recently. If I didn't know better, I'd say they reduced power, maybe to save the output tube...

I've lost them almost completely this last week or two... *sigh*

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the thanks, webmarin. Though I think you may have slightly misread my email. I'm not affiliated with KQED in any way. I was just posting part of an email I received from KQED when I signed up for their HDTV emails.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have to say I am still baffled by DT-30's programming, they did broadcast "American Family" at 10PM last night (as advertised), however this was preceded by a program called "Saints" (film about Ireland) - with no reference whatsoever at their High Definition programming guide ( http://www.kqed.org/tv/dtv/upcoming.html ).

As it stands today there does not seem to be any type of definitive reference as to DT-30's programming schedule. I simply can't imagine that they would not know in advance what they will broadcast on this channel. Anybody can help here?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lately, I've been getting red and blue grain appearing in the picture on KTVU. It's strange, because I've been getting a strong signal from them, but there is this bright red grain that appears, only on KTVU. Has anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have, and I think it started after they were testing out the 1080i the other night. Before that it was clear, but since then its been as you described.

BTW, rat shack VU-90 and DST 3000. 2 miles from sutro, clear line of site.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In my case, it's little red and green squares that pop up all over the screen. What's funny is that is seems to happen only during their evening news and only when they are showing the anchors. The different segments from the street come up nice and clear.

EDIT: Using MyHD tuner if that's relevant.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.