AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live on the 3rd floor (of 3) in a San Mateo apartment complex. I have couple of walls to go through, but seem to have an OK line to Sutro sans a few hills. Using a Win TV-D card (hopefully I'll have a DTC 100 soon to replace it) and a couple of Radio Shack Antennas (Double Bow Tie and a figure 8) at the same time (using both TV-D inputs) I have achieved these results:

24 KGO-DT Reliable

29 KPIX-DT Reliable

56 KTVU-DT Rarely can lock in a picture

12 KNTV-DT Never have been able to pull in

52 KICU-DT Fairly Reliable

57 KRON-DT Fairly Reliable

30 KQED-DT Reliable

45 KBHK-DT Rarely can lock in a picture

19 KBWB-DT Fairly Reliable

Note: I'd post the Win TV-D diagnostics for the stations, but I don't currently have them with me at work.

Is this reception typical for someone on the Peninsula? Also are UPN45 and FOX56 usually tougher to lock in than other stations?

Thanks for any responses. I had a more detailed post finished, but entered the wrong password and lost it...so hopefully this has enough detail.

One more thing...do you think a silver sensor would help me, or would it just produce results similar to what I have now?

------------------

Dave

[This message has been edited by kahnoodie (edited 04-02-2001).]

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kahnoodie:
I have achieved these results:

24 KGO-DT Reliable

29 KPIX-DT Reliable

56 KTVU-DT Rarely can lock in a picture

12 KNTV-DT Never have been able to pull in

52 KICU-DT Fairly Reliable

57 KRON-DT Fairly Reliable

30 KQED-DT Reliable

45 KBHK-DT Rarely can lock in a picture

19 KBWB-DT Fairly Reliable

Is this reception typical for someone on the Peninsula? Also are UPN45 and FOX56 usually tougher to lock in than other stations?
That is fairly similar to my results. I have been able to pull in 12, but I am much further SE than you and I only pull it in if I point my antenna down south. Not much programming on it anyway.

Isn't 45 located on Sutro? I'm kinda surprised you can't get them at all. Perhaps they are broadcasting at really low power?

KRON must be doing something wrong or are on low power . . . why can we get the other networks fine but not NBC?

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Try a UHF (up to 950mhz) variable amp from radio shack but you probably need an outdoor antenna.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 04-02-2001).]

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. After running 50 feet of cable from my PC to my bedroom, which is closest room in my house to the Sutro Tower, I was able to pull in all stations except for KBHK-DT (UPN45) and KNTV-DT (12). I think the amplifier got me over the hump with NBC and FOX.

So thanks for the advice on the amp, Bill...I was finally able to watch Leno in HD (well...psuedo HD since the Win TV-D card downconverts the signal..but it still looks good http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ).

------------------

Dave

·
Registered
190 Posts
I live in Palo Alto and have my OTA pointing towards SF, this is my channel lineup:

2.1 FOX

4.1 NBC

4.2 BAYTV

12.1 ABC?

12.2 ABC?

24.1 ABC

24.2 ABC

29.1 CBS

30.1 KQED

45.1 UPN

I am using the SONY SAT-HD100.

To get 12.1 and 12.2, I needed an amplifer. Let me know what you guys are getting.

Nav

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nav Sandhu:
I live in Palo Alto and have my OTA pointing towards SF, this is my channel lineup: [snip]

12.1 ABC?

12.2 ABC?

[snip]

To get 12.1 and 12.2, I needed an amplifer.
Channel 12 is KNTV from South of San Jose . . . it is an WB station. Pretty impressive that you can get it. You should be able to get channel 19 (WB20's DTV channel) and channel 52 (UHF channel 36's DTV channel).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Dagman:

Do you think I can point another antennae towards San Jose? Could I just use a reverse splitter to merge the signals? It sucks to be in between the two cities.

Nav

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nav Sandhu:
Do you think I can point another antennae towards San Jose? Could I just use a reverse splitter to merge the signals? It sucks to be in between the two cities.
Yeah, you can do that . . . but why bother? At least for now, most of the good stuff is up on Sutro. As 2002 approaches, then you might want to look into having a Southward pointed antenna to get KNTV.

But if you persist, here is info on antenna joiners:
http://www.channelmaster.com/pages/cjs1.htm

I wish Channel Master was publically traded because I think their business is going to take off in the next couple of years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.