(last update 5/20)

no news from Rinpoche, so we're not sure about Dolby Laboratory... :(

so far for the Bay Area Shoutout we have:

Location proposals:

Berkeley (Moe) : with CRT projector / not too big

Oakland loft (dan marquardt) :larger room / no screen

San Jose (Dean McManis)

San Francisco (nu77): fairly large loft

Dolby Laboratory "kick-ass screening room" :) (Rinpoche) (see image)

???

Date:

-wek-end june 1st

-week-end june 8th

list of projectors:

- a Z1 (rogo)

- SMARTed TW100 (jwtseng)

- NEC HT-1000 (pkelley)

- Infocus screenplay 110 (pkelley)

- Panasonic L300U (bobjew)

- Sony G70 8" CRT unit (Moe)

- NEC LT240 (Andyspix)

- modified Davis DLX650 and a panamorph (NickB)

- Sony HS-10 with CC40R filter (harry905)

- Panasonic L300U (bzo) [maybe?]

- Panasonic L300U (PilotChris)

- Proxima UltraLight X350 (dcs)

- NEC LT150 (Andyspix) [maybe]

- Dell 3200MP (Aztek) [maybe]

- 30-yd roll of black velvet

- 2 ReplayTV units (1 3xxx and 1 45/50xx progressive scan unit with VGA/Components outputs) (aztek)

- RP-91 DVD player

- OTA HDTV receiver

- several HTPC ( including WinDVD/ffdshow ##### add descriptions)

- additional HDTV STB (SIR-T151) and Silver Sensor combo (PilotChris)

- ISCOII anamorphic lens (noah katz)

- pizzas

- Zachary's Pizza

I forgot something let me know...

(more updates to come)

Original Message:

I'm looking for a place, a shop, something where I could actually see the popular projectors (LT-240, M20X, L300U, HS-10...) in the bay area...

Let me know if you know such a place.

thanks

see the Dolby Laboratory room:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...993&fullpage=1

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm interested too. I posted a similar thread a month ago or so and got no responses.

Magnolia HiFi in Palo Alto has a couple of projectors set up, but none of the ones you mentioned. I think they had an InFocus Screenplay 110 and a DWIN projector set up. Fry's in San Jose had a projector set up, but it wasn't anything special and it wasn't set up in a good viewing environment.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I know about Fry's... I tend to go there too often... :)

But the projectors they are selling aren't really interesting.

I'm quiet surprised that we can't find easily such a place in the Bay Area, where I think lot of people are interested by that kind of products.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,

I just posted a similar question. I live in the bay area also and have no luck in finding the Pan L300U or Sony HS10. I would really like to see it in action before making a decision. I tried calling Panasonic 1-800 number but was unable to speak to someone after being on hold for 25min.

It sure seems strange that a successful projector such as these are not in any stores in the bay area.

Cheers

·
Registered
24 Posts
I live here in the Bay Area as well, and when I started looking into Front PJs, I also wondered where I could actually look at these things before giving $1300 to a company I don't know for a device I'd never seen in action.

So I called around and got the owner of a projector place in Menlo Park who claimed that the margins for retail sales of these projectors have gotten so low (

·
Registered
697 Posts
In the South Bay (San Jose/Cupertino) area there are a few places besides Fry's where projectors can be seen. Magnolia HiFi has already been mentioned. In Saratoga there is Century Stereo. They pretty much deal in higher end stuff like Runco and the occasional Sharp...basically their attitude is that if they don't carry it then it isn't worth their time. Pretty snobby sales people unless they think you have the dough.

Bay Area Audio on DeAnza has a couple home theater rooms set up. More down to earth than Century, but still high end...more emphasis on custom installs.

Just down the street a little on DeAnza is LaserLand Home Theater. They had a smattering of lesser known, more consumer level projectors last time I was there...Yamaha, Sim2, etc. If anyone had a HS10 or AE300 in the Bay Area, it would probably be them. But I wouldn't hold your breath. They are a friendly bunch down there, though.

·
Premium Member
25,004 Posts
It seems the only way to see these pj's is for someone who has one to show it to you. Just post a request or PM an owner.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for this list...

although they all seem to have "high-end" projectors... :(

hey noah katz, what projector do you have? :p

Mountain View is not too far from Sunnyvale, where I live... :) :) :)

·
Registered
697 Posts
It seems like there are a LOT of us here from the SF Bay Area (Santa Clara). Perhaps a few of us can get together one weekend or something. I've got a SMARTed TW100 and very soon a High Power screen as well as a Pandora Orpheum HD HTPC.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I would love to attend a Bay Area "shoot-out" of these machines! I don't have one of the machines to contribute (I have an older Infocus) but would bring pizza for anyone setting up such a session.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Great idea! I would attend as well, with my 2100MP and/or X1 (both very reasonably priced) in hand. It'd be great to chat with people face to face about this stuff...

·
Registered
2 Posts
This thread has finally given me reason to register... I've been lurking in these forums for the last two months, personally waging the HS-10 vs L300U in my troubled mind. Heck, I even travelled back home to VA to see a demo of these great machines!

A SF Bay Area shoot-out has been a long time coming. The under $10k projector market around here is abysmal. This may be our only chance to see the hot projectors in person. Though I have nothing to share myself, I'd be happy to help in any way I can...

jwtseng -- I especially want to know about your TW100. I have the opportunity to pick one of these up for $2999, and was wondering if it would be a superior decision to the newer HS-10. The Epson is the only machine I haven't seen with my own eyes. Have you compared the two projectors?

- Jeff

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I will bring a Z1 to this hypothetical shootout. Especially, now that I know rlsmith is bringing me pizza from Pizza My Heart (I like the plain cheese from there :) ).

Mark

·
Premium Member
25,004 Posts
I still have an RPTV. I'm holding out for 3000:1 CR for $3K.

Now that you mention it, it is about time to have a Bay Area shootout.

I'd sure love to see an NEC HT1000 and/or Optoma H56. How do people feel about including more expensive pj's?

Not that many would be interested, but I have a dozen rear screen samples I could bring. One curiosity is Gerriets Show, a .2 gain material that looks pitch black in full ambient light. I have enough to make a full screen; it would be interesting to see how big the picture can be made before it gets too dim.

·
Premium Member
25,004 Posts
Actually, maybe I do have something useful to bring. If the venue has poor light control, I have a 30-yd roll of black velvet we can use to make a shadow box around the screen. In case you're wondering, it's to line the projection booth for the RP setup I'm going to build.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm glad other people are interested...

I was just looking for a place to see popular projectors, thinking about a specialized shop or something like that, but I must admit a shout-out sounds great.

so where could we do it?

also, we need more projectors/products...

so far we have:

- a Z1 (rogo)

- SMARTed TW100 (jwtseng)

- 2100MP (chinapaulo)

- X1 (chinapaulo)

- pizza

- 30-yd roll of black velvet

I can also bring 2 ReplayTV units (1 3xxx and 1 45/50xx progressive scan unit with VGA/Components outputs) if some people are interested...

anybody else who can bring a projector?

Aztek

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by aztek
I'm glad other people are interested...

I was just looking for a place to see popular projectors, thinking about a specialized shop or something like that, but I must admit a shout-out sounds great.

so where could we do it?

I don't have a projector to bring, but I could bring chow and/or drinks. I'm down in Monterey, so if anything comes of this, I would appreciate an invitation. I'd be interested in seeing some overhead projectors in action, especially things like the Dell unit (65" Mitsubishi rear projection currently in use).

See ya. Dave

([email protected])

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I just joined the forums (although I've been lurking the site for quite a while) so that I can request to be included in this gathering. I too am looking for a front projection, and would greatly appreciate seeing for myself the difference in the various manufacturers.

Thank you!

J.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.