AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
No, EW are a total rip for everything except microdisplays. Your set has a 3% chance of failure. You are already covered under your credit card's double or 1 year extention. Please don't throw your money in the trash!

·
Registered
11 Posts
As a servicer of many of the major manufacturers of LCD, LCD projection and plasma displays, I have to disagree that EW plans are a TOTAL waste. LCD certainly have a low failure record compared to some other sets, but depending on the cost of the plan, the cost of the tv and your aversion to risk, it may be worth it. You will not find a servicer to work on your $1500-$2000 lcd set when its out of warranty for less than $199 (Labor typically starts at, or above that for a 32" lcd HDTV, plus parts and service call fees). So if you need a repair during the 3 years after your manufacturer warranty, $200 is gonna be cheap compared to what it could run.

Best Buy also has a pretty good extended warranty plan and customer service.

Still, I wouldnt purchase if its much more than 15% of the product price. If your set is more than $1300, Id say go for it @ $199 if you're risk averse. Ive seen people that have skimped out on the service plan and had bad lcd panel after 18 months and end up with a $2000 paperweight. Of course, I can count the number of times that's happened on one hand, so you would prolly be safe without it. But personally, Im risk averse and Id shell out the $200 and have the peace of mind for 4 years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.