AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the upgrade itch & this set has caught my eye. Component HD & VGA inputs (800x600p), 1600 lines of horizontal resolution, and I've always thought it looked good on the (decent) showroom floors...but a little pricey. $3499 is a little more reasonable for 55". I've done some forum searches and most of the threads seems positive about the set, somewhat negative about the service. I'd appreciate any feedback from any owners out there. I'll be using the HD & VGA inputs only, for HTPC, DTC 100 & prog scan DVD, switched thru a Yamaha RX-V1.

TIA...

------------------

Wayne Harrelson

Germantown, MD
http://www.geocities.com/wayneharrel...HTPC_Page.html

http://www.mp3.com/karnis

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The 60PP9601 reportedly has the same chassis but it has a taller screen (4:3), and it's just $2199 at Costco. The 60PP9601 produces the same 55" 16:9 picture when in squeeze mode. $1300 more for a smaller screen... that sure will test your willpower to go 16:9!

The 480i line doubled picure on these sets usually looks washed out for some reason. However, you're a HTPC dude, so you'll probably be pumping in 960i, 1080i, or 1200i from a HTPC, and the color on the progressive inputs is very strong. I find 1800x1200i is best for full screen 4:3, and I use 1440x960i squeezed for anamorphic DVD's.

The other major caution on these sets is that they have no discrete input selection. You can hack a long slow macro on a universal remote to get around this shortcoming.

Oh, and the internal reflections are pretty narly on the 60PP9601, but I'm not sure about the 55PP9701.

What these sets are really great for is HDTV (and HTPC). The resolution and color is excellent. The 55PP9701 got the set of the year award from the Stereophile Guide to Home Theater (January 2001), largely for its HDTV performance.

You can get in touch with a few owners of this set at the link in my sig.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

DirecTV + Sony SVR-2000 TiVo upgraded to 128 hours basic quality

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile

Kenwood VR-407 receiver & subwoofer, nOrh 4.0 marble center speaker
s>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.