AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok before I get flamed, blamed or otherwise called a liar I will put a disclaimer that your MMV.

I received my weekend RZ coupons today, and as I normally do, headed down to BB even before the coupons actually take in effect. First, I bought Rockband and got 10% (never thought I would buy it but what the heck)

Then as I was flipping through the coupons, I noticed a 20% off for Blu Ray and HD-DVD players. on the backside, was the usual disclaimer about what is and isnt valid. they list the Pioneer Elite, xbox 360 hd-dvd drive, blu ray and hd-dvd burners, closeouts etc etc etc. So I ask myself.....what about the PS3??? no where mentioned what so ever. So I pick up a PS3 and take it to the register just to see what happened. Plop down the PS3, coupon and credit card. Girl doesnt even bat an eyelash and proceeds to try and scan in the coupon. Well because the coupon doesnt start until this weekend she has to call over a sup. Sup comes over and fidgets with the coupon and says "oh this doesnt start until this weekend" but because you are reward zone member its ok. So she takes TWENTY PERCENT off the PS3. well at this point, I realize that I dont need a second one and my test has succeeded so I tell her I changed my mind etc etc.

So, it may work, it may not but its worth a try if you want to pick up a PS3 at a 20% discount.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I tried to get Guitar Hero 3 on a RZ 10% off video game coupon before xmas. It wouldn't scan through, but usually when that happens most clerks will just override the transaction and manually give you the discount. This cashier said that it wasn't good on GH3 because its not a video game, I wanted to ask her if she had passed the 5th grade yet and she just stared at me. I even showed her the big picture on the box that said "GH3 game included inside". She called over another cashier and she said the same thing, but the problem was they were both in training and didn't know how to manually overide anything. I could of kept going but I gave up and just came back the following day and got the right guy who accepted it. I guess its all in who you get at the register.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thowe21 /forum/post/12922151

I tried to get Guitar Hero 3 on a RZ 10% off video game coupon before xmas. It wouldn't scan through, but usually when that happens most clerks will just override the transaction and manually give you the discount. This cashier said that it wasn't good on GH3 because its not a video game, I wanted to ask her if she had past the 5th grade yet and she just stared at me. I even showed her the big picture on the box that said "GH3 game included inside". She called over another cashier and she said the same thing, but the problem was they were both in training and didn't know how to manually overide anything. I could of kept going but I gave up and just came back the following day and got the right guy who accepted it. I guess its all in who you get at the register.

It's usually not a good idea to insult someone else's intelligence while misspelling elementary words like "passed."

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaxon /forum/post/12923225

"liked "passed""?

Ooh. That herts.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
these are reward zone coupons , you had to have been a member prior to this weekend to get them. Most likely you had to join a month ago. We don't know if you actually get 20% off though

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
I tried to buy rockband at BB last weekend with my 10% off any video game coupon.

It wouldn't scan in, and the cashier told me it was hardware. I told her it was not hardware, it was a video game. I let her know that there was no possible way to play the game without the included controllers.

I argued with her for a solid 5 minutes before she finally got her manager to come over. I explained the same thing to the manager, that it is NOT hardware, it is a video game that happens to include some controllers with it, because there is no other way to play the game if it didn't.

The manager told me that there was absolutely nothing she could do, because the computer views it as hardware and she could not override it or push it through.

I was pretty pissed, and definitely caused enough of a stink that I thought they would have put it through anyway.

I ended up buying it (I was going to buy it either way), but I figured I might as well use the coupon too. I told them that they might as well write on the bottom of the coupon that the coupon is only good for whatever the heck they feel like giving you 10% off on, and that hardware isn't the only exception. Evidently BB sees rockband as guitar, drum, and microphone hardware that comes with a free game. Oh well.

I can't believe that some people have so much more luck with BB than me!

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaxon /forum/post/12923225

"liked "passed""?

I have no idea what you are talking about.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_Rage /forum/post/12926792

I tried to buy rockband at BB last weekend with my 10% off any video game coupon.

It wouldn't scan in, and the cashier told me it was hardware. I told her it was not hardware, it was a video game. I let her know that there was no possible way to play the game without the included controllers.

I argued with her for a solid 5 minutes before she finally got her manager to come over. I explained the same thing to the manager, that it is NOT hardware, it is a video game that happens to include some controllers with it, because there is no other way to play the game if it didn't.

The manager told me that there was absolutely nothing she could do, because the computer views it as hardware and she could not override it or push it through.

I was pretty pissed, and definitely caused enough of a stink that I thought they would have put it through anyway.

I ended up buying it (I was going to buy it either way), but I figured I might as well use the coupon too. I told them that they might as well write on the bottom of the coupon that the coupon is only good for whatever the heck they feel like giving you 10% off on, and that hardware isn't the only exception. Evidently BB sees rockband as guitar, drum, and microphone hardware that comes with a free game. Oh well.

I can't believe that some people have so much more luck with BB than me!

I had a similar problem a while back. I had bought a gameshark for ps2 at walmart but the needed ps2 disc couldn't be read by my ps2. So I went back to walmart to get my money back. They said it was a game and they couldn't give money back on a open game. Well fo course gameshark is a gaming accessory. Back and forth for about ten minutes until they finally took "this one time". I then went to gamestop and bought the rival codemonkey(I think that's the name). What's sort of sad is that the only reason I needed a hacking tool for ps2 was because I wanted the to play the two hidden songs on Guitar hero 1.

·
Banned
4,619 Posts
I absolutely hate going to best buy and will only do so as a last resort. In my opinion, they treat there customers like crap. They have that security guard that stands at the front entrance that goes out of his way to say hi...but in a voice that sounds more like "I'm watching you f#$%er" (every customer that walks in should kick that idiot square in the nuts when entering the store). My wife (gf at the time) bought me a cd player for Christmas about 12 years ago. It did not come with the ribbon cable to connect to the mother board so I took it back (receipt and all). Wanted my money back to get a different one any way. They said that it should have come with a ribbon cable (on the box it did not say one way or the other) and they could refund the price minus $5 since I obviously lost the cable. Went round and round with the manager, no luck. I was pissed and wanted out of there so I took the refund. On my way out I thought this just is not fair. Went back to the computer isle, found the cd player, opened the box (not taped, it just opened up), and guess what. No ribbon cable. Opened another just to be sure. Took both up the customer service (what a joke), showed the manager. At this point he comes unglued because I opened the box (as opposed to admitting he was wrong) and digs in his own pocked to give me $5
. That is one of many unpleasant dealings I have had with them. When I do go there, I try not to talk to anyone, get my stuff and get out.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I've never had a problem in Best Buy. In fact, I've pretty much always gotten exactly what I wanted, and if there was an error, it has pretty much always worked out to my favor.

I am not a hot chick, and I don't "play well with others," so I guess I'm just lucky.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kekborg /forum/post/12927906

That is one of many unpleasant dealings I have had with them. When I do go there, I try not to talk to anyone, get my stuff and get out.

It has sort of become this way for me too, the above is only one of the things I dislike about BB.

I often think this in my mind, someone tell me if I'm crazy: BB is comparable to Walmart, as CC is comparable to Target.

Make sense?

·
Banned
4,619 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_Rage /forum/post/12927963

I often think this in my mind, someone tell me if I'm crazy: BB is comparable to Walmart, as CC is comparable to Target.

Make sense?

Yes, it does and I would agree. We had a local CC that shut down in my area. Closest one is about 50 miles away. Bought me 61" Sammy from them. Delivery was supposed to take 4-5 days (bought it on a Saturday). They ended up calling back and said they would make a special trip for me that day if I wanted (no extra charge). Now that's customer service! Walmart may have better prices, but Target is a much better shopping experience (wow, how's that for married with children...)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kekborg /forum/post/12928124

Yes, it does and I would agree. We had a local CC that shut down in my area. Closest one is about 50 miles away. Bought me 61" Sammy from them. Delivery was supposed to take 4-5 days (bought it on a Saturday). They ended up calling back and said they would make a special trip for me that day if I wanted (no extra charge). Now that's customer service! Walmart may have better prices, but Target is a much better shopping experience (wow, how's that for married with children...)

When you live in the Minneapolis area where there's a Target on every corner (like Wal-Mart when I used to live in Oklahoma), you see pretty quickly that Target is pretty much just like Wal-Mart, but more expensive. Even the really neat two-story Target on Nicollet Mall is just a normal Target with a cool escalator in the middle of it with a place for the carts to ride up. It still sells the same low quality junk as every other Target. Occasionally they have a clearance on their overpriced household goods (like bedding) and it becomes worthwhile to buy them. But in my experience they've been pretty interchangeable with the 2 Wal-Marts I've been to here (only 2 within 10 miles of my apartment).

There's also a BB on just about every corner here, and the service varies wildly there. A new one opened up near my work a few months ago, and it's amazing how nice they are right now. I had 5 different employees ask me if I needed any assistance one day. And to top if off, the cashier asks "Did anyone offer to help?" I'm sure that will change, but it was kinda funny.

I'm actually surprised they can maintain these stores. There are at least 5 BB stores within 15 miles of my apartment. It's kind of crazy.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I can confirm that this WORKS, *but,* you have to be a little persistent and firm (though not impolite) with whoever is working the videogame section. I just used this coupon to buy a shiny, brand-new PS3 over my lunch break.
The guy I encountered wasn't willing to do it initially, but I pointed out that the coupon specifically excluded the 360 HD-DVD add-on and didn't mention the PS3 anywhere, whereas most of these RZ coupons state it on the back. When I pulled out one of their standard coupons to show him, that made him pause. lol

Even then, he said he was afraid to do it because (paraphrasing): "Sony puts a price lock on these and I'll get in trouble if I reduce it. Besides, it's not exactly a Blu-Ray player. It just plays Blu-Rays."
But I wasn't having any of it, and told him that they SHOULD honor it because they certainly consider the PS3 a BLU-RAY PLAYER when people come in and get an HDTV+PS3 and they knock $100 off the price.

That was the straw that broke the camel's back.
He disappeared in back for nearly 10 minutes to talk with his manager, and came back.

"Ok, we're good."

On top of that, I had a RZ coupon and a $20 gift card, so by the time he added those -- well, let's just say I got a PS3 WITH a 2-year PRP for less than the cost of a 360 Arcade.

So it IS possible, guys. Just don't be afraid to try.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlord /forum/post/12930921

I can confirm that this WORKS, *but,* you have to be a little persistent and firm (though not impolite) with whoever is working the videogame section. I just used this coupon to buy a shiny, brand-new PS3 over my lunch break.
The guy I encountered wasn't willing to do it initially, but I pointed out that the coupon specifically excluded the 360 HD-DVD add-on and didn't mention the PS3 anywhere, whereas most of these RZ coupons state it on the back. When I pulled out one of their standard coupons to show him, that made him pause. lol

Even then, he said he was afraid to do it because (paraphrasing): "Sony puts a price lock on these and I'll get in trouble if I reduce it. Besides, it's not exactly a Blu-Ray player. It just plays Blu-Rays."
But I wasn't having any of it, and told him that they SHOULD honor it because they certainly consider the PS3 a BLU-RAY PLAYER when people come in and get an HDTV+PS3 and they knock $100 off the price.

He disappeared in back for nearly 10 minutes to talk with his manager, and came back.

"Ok, we're good."

On top of that, I had a RZ coupon and a $20 gift card, so by the time he added those -- well, let's just say I got a PS3 WITH a 2-year PRP for less than the cost of a 360 Arcade.

Sweet! Sounds your your BB is alot better than mine.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlord /forum/post/12930921

"Ok, we're good."

Wow.

You should consider visiting Israel... I hear there's a little squabble going on over there you may be able to solve.

·
Registered
426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper /forum/post/12931229

Wow.

You should consider visiting Israel... I hear there's a little squabble going on over there you may be able to solve.

LOL. I think I'll be content to help the world in my own small way using [email protected] on my PS3.

I'm really thrilled right now. It's great to own both a 360 and PS3, and even better not having paid full price for either.

I almost felt bad for that BB rep. He was nervous even after he got approval from his manager, and kept asking me weird questions, like, "You have an HDTV, right? You'll use this for more than just Blu-Rays, right?" lol

·
Registered
217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee /forum/post/12922298

It's usually not a good idea to insult someone else's intelligence while misspelling elementary words like "passed."

Thanks for the info, four the phuture I'll phorward all my phosts to you beforehand so you can correct my wooork.

Oops, you must of missssed this onee.

P.S. The 5th grade comment was a thought by the way, didn't mention it out loud.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts