AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
there's no need for "DVD" in your thread title, the BBC is publicly funded by us and so is not allowed to choose one format over the other, if both formats are there then they must release for both, so you should have really said "BBC Does HD"

from what I read last year, the current series wasn't shot on film, just in 16:9 PAL

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Well, I'd love to see doctor who in HD-DVD as well, I just hope they don't sell for those high prices. I think series 1 was 70 bucks for 13 episodes. The us just got a basic style boxset well. No LE like the UK..

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
There will be no HD DVD release of Doctor Who. And even if they decide to put it on HD DVD, it would be upscaled since the series is shot in SD on Beta.

At least that's the case for the first two seasons and the upcoming third season (or series as the british call it). Torchwood on the other hand is shot in HD, so there might be a chance we'll see that on HD DVD.

It will be a pain to go back and watch Doctor Who in SD after the HD treatment BBC gave us with Robin Hood and Torchwood and all the movies at the end of last year.

I hope they will start shooting season four in HD next year.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Is Torchwood a separate show or spinoff or what?

The two-part finale of Rose "How I died" was some of the best television I've ever seen, and that on a limited budget UK show ported to the US Sci-Fi network.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Torchwood is a seperate spinoff yes. Features Capt. Jack from the first series.

I think we just need to get Dr. Who on a channel over here besides sci-fi! I download the new episode (not telling where :) ) about 2 hours after the new episodes air in the UK. I wouldn't have to do that if the BBC would just SHOW the episodes over here around the same time! Series 2 comes out on DVD in a few weeks, but that is over 6 months after the final episodes aired in the UK.

Dr Who is shot in Beta??? Hmm, I'm not so sure about series 3. I watched the confidential episode for the Christmas Special Runaway Bride this year and the cameras they were using are HD! Thats very sad if that first 2 series were not shot in HD... either way, the show looks great!

Off topic... anyone seen Torchwood yet or the other spinoff the Sarah Jane Adventures?

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Torchwood is EXCELLENT. A little slow at first, and the Cyberwoman episode is awful. However, only about half way through the first season of 13 episodes. Also have the Sarah Jane Adventures, but that is more oriented at kids, so haven't watched it yet.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetwoodguy79 /forum/post/0

I wouldn't have to do that if the BBC would just SHOW the episodes over here around the same time! Series 2 comes out on DVD in a few weeks, but that is over 6 months after the final episodes aired in the UK.

Well, that's always the case with oversea stuff. Lost didn't start over here until after a full year after the US premiere. A 6 to 12 month delay is the rule, not the exception.

Quote:

Dr Who is shot in Beta??? Hmm, I'm not so sure about series 3. I watched the confidential episode for the Christmas Special Runaway Bride this year and the cameras they were using are HD! Thats very sad if that first 2 series were not shot in HD... either way, the show looks great!

It's shot in Beta yes. Some (all?) of the Confidential stuff is shot in HD. They stated that they're not very happy with the technology of currently available HD cams. They started using HD cams for Torchwood and had to reshoot the whole first episode, because they were not happy with the results. I think that is one reason why they have not switched to HD for Doctor Who. Something similar happened with Robin Hood (shot in HD as well), they had to reshoot some episodes as well. The official story about it was, that someone had stolen the tapes, so they had to do it again.

As far as Doctor Who goes, it looks good for SD. But it could look alot better in HD.

Quote:

Off topic... anyone seen Torchwood yet or the other spinoff the Sarah Jane Adventures?

Unfortunatelly I'm a series junky, so I don't have time to watch every series right when they air. I'm trying to catch Smallville and Lost whenever possible. I've only checked the quality of Torchwood (BBC HD), I'll probably watch all episodes when I take a few days off in February. From what I heard from Doctor Who fans, the series is awful. A friend told me he stopped watching it, because it's so bad.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Torchwood was slagged off something rotten across AV forums, but all my non geeky friends and colleagues loved it. I fit somewhere in the middle - this geek loved it.

I agree with the comment above, it will be a struggle going back to Who in SD.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinuk /forum/post/0

The 1st series was not shot in HD, the second was, as was Torchwood.

The Christmas episode shown on Christmas day was also shot in HD as will the new series.

What's your source for this? You better tell BBC because they don't know.

·
Registered
513 Posts

Quote:

Torchwood is a seperate spinoff yes. Features Capt. Jack from the first series.

I think we just need to get Dr. Who on a channel over here besides sci-fi! I download the new episode (not telling where :) ) about 2 hours after the new episodes air in the UK. I wouldn't have to do that if the BBC would just SHOW the episodes over here around the same time! Series 2 comes out on DVD in a few weeks, but that is over 6 months after the final episodes aired in the UK.

I do the same thing, waiting half a year to see it on sci fi is preposterous

Torchwood is a great series. THe first season was quite good indeed. Wish the seasons on UK shows were 24 episodes like in the US.

Jorge

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.