AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I verify that I have a cooke E86 (Toshiba DST3000 version).

Symptoms include.

1. Transponder signal strength flucuates and is lower than on another box, some stations do not come in at all, but do fine on a different box.

2. Replaced the dish and multiswitch, symptoms somewhat improved, but signal still weak.

3. Unit was on top of entertainment center but covered and used with a Tivo (so powered and generating signal) for two years.

Things I have tried.

1. Replaced entire dish (went to 18x20 three LNB with internal multiswitch). Only difference is that old Sony A4 upstairs now has functional signal meter.

2. Reset the box using soft reset procedure.

3. Attempted hard boot. by leaving unplugged for 2 hours disconnected from dish.

4. Taken to other wire inside house and connected, signals approximately the same.

Questions I have.

1. Is it possiblely a wiring problem somewhere? If so where should I start and how can I test?

2. If the box does have heat damage is there anything that I can do with it? Can it be repaired? Would it be better to replace it (urgh!) with a new unit?

If anyone has any advice I would love to hear it.

thanks

Brentley

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Try this hard reboot:

Uncheck local OTA channels. Exit via 'Done' Set 'Local 1' to 'None'. Done

Clear zip code. Done

Update guide. (Automatic)

Exit menus via 'Done'.

Exit main menu via 'Video'.

Turn off receiver and TV.

Unplug receiver and detach satellite input. Replug and reattach after 2 minutes.

Turn on receiver and TV.

Set 'Local 1' to 'Antenna'.

Scan local channels.

Insert zip code.

Hope for desired results

If it works, add a small fan blowing across the top of the stb to prevent a repeat.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just tried all of this and it had unfortunately no effect.

Any other good ideas on how to go about troubleshooting this?

thanks

brentley

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have had similar problems with a Mits HD5. I added a cooling fan & found that digital OTA reception improved but D* recepton went downhill. I have also lost all signal from 110 and analog OTA is gone.

D* reception for me is best the warmer the box gets.

I believe that my box is toast, but with the flawed choices currently on the market I am reluctant to replace at this time.

I would like to know if others agree that my box is dying & if anything can be done for this box.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I don't know about the Toshiba version of this STB, but the Hughes E86 has a two-year warranty. If you're still in the warranty period, it sounds like you should be able to get a replacement free of charge.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Toshiba has a one year warrenty.

I am going to call them on Monday and see if I have any options to fix it.

I will update then. Total bummer.

Good news was that I found an open box E86 for 440, but I would rather wait for an HD Tivo/directtv device. That would be worth paying for.

brentley

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I too am looking forward to the Directv/TIVO STB. I intend to make it my primary STB and use my E86 for my bedroom STB and retire my old Sony SAT-A2. However, don't hold your breath. There's no guarantee that it will be available this year. Plus, it will probably be priced at a premium, maybe above $1,000.

As for the open box E86, $440 sounds high to me. New E86s have been selling at $499 for quite a while. I'd think an open box would be more in the $350 range. $440 sounds high to me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update.

Talked to Toshiba this morning and they want me to send it in to them for an estimate. They have either a repair or exchange program.

The guy on the phone was unable to tell me what the maximum cost would be so I will be calling them back.

I will keep you all updated.

brentley

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Wow, they apparently have some serious reliability problems with these boxes. I am in the exact same situation. My Mitsubishi has worked fine for 2 years and all the sudden I'm getting terrible signal strength for the satellite channels. I hooked up an old satellite receiver to the same cable and the signal strength was good for the same transponder (84 compared to 0) so there is nothing wrong with my setup.

I contacted Mitsubishi about this and I hope they have some kind of replacement deal too. I expected more for an $800 piece of equipment...

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I posted another thread on this - but after 2 years my Mits HD receiver is also going out on me. It won't pick up Showtime or channel 90 (110-Sat C). My dish alignment is fine because I have another receiver (Hughes) that is able to receive the signal just fine. There is a difference of about 40 points on the two receivers.:mad:

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
It's been stated here many times that the Hughes boxes have heat problems. If you don't put a fan near these boxes, you will eventually have problems.

Save yourself the problems and get a cooling fan.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So will a cooling fan help an already apparently damaged box? Or should I get it repaired and or replaced? I did find a lot of threads on the fan when searching. I am surprised that hughes would put out a box without a fan but in looking at their product line it appears that none of their boxes come with fans in them at all.

brentley

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Does anyone have a link to a good fan to use with these boxes??

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Don't have a link, but any 12v pancake computer fan will work. Try RatShack.

Connect it to a 6 or 9 volt AC adapter. It will be quieter, but still blow enough air to dissipate the heat.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Check that the fan and power adapter match. They are usually DC. Arxaw's brain was undoubtedly thinking 110V AC adapter to 6-9V DC when his fingers were writing something that could be misconscrewed.

I'm very familiar with the process.;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have 2 E-86s', one about 6 months and the other 9 months old, both connected to the same dish.

The "old" one has just started giving me problems with some D channels. Tried to watch the BBall game on 198 last night and could not lock in the signal on the older box. The newer box was fine. The other day it was channel 300 troubles, now today it's fine.

While I don't have a fan on this box it is pretty much in the open air and has never been covered. I'll try a fan tonight and see what happens.

On another note, the Toshiba exchange program came in handy with an out of warranty dvd player. I don't recall exactly what I had to pay to exchange my dead unit but I believe it was far less than repairing the unit or getting a new one. They actually sent me a similar but more recent (expensive) model than what I sent them.

Joe

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by brentley
So will a cooling fan help an already apparently damaged box?
Maybe, maybe not.

Quote:

Or should I get it repaired and or replaced?

brentley
Since you will still have the same brand box after a repair or replacement, you would still need to get a fan to prevent the same thing from happening again.

Therefore, I would get the fan now to see if it helps with your current problem. If it doesn't help, you haven't lost anything because you will still need the fan after you get your box repared or replaced.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
I found this a while back, but have no experience with them:

http://www.psr1.com/welcome.htm
I have emailed these guys and told them the problem I'm having with my receiver. I haven't heard back yet. Anyone else get a response??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.