AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
JVC NZ8, 2.35:1 125" screen, Marantz AV7705, 7.2.4 Def Tech speakers, Sunfire Theater Grand 400x7
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[soapbox]

VHS -> Laserdisc -> DVD -> DTheater -> HD-DVD -> BD and people ***** more than ever about PQ (grain, DNR, EE, etc.) Give me a break! Sounds like some people will never be satisfied.

If you're not happy with current BD quality, don't buy it, RENT instead. Try being grateful for how far the quality has come along in a relatively short time. IMHO, these comparison threads are a waste of time, AVS space, and Internet bandwidth.

Life's too short. Try watching a movie instead....

[/soapbox]

Anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I think this thread is a huge waste of time and should be locked.

These comparison threads are the very best thing about AVS!

·
Banned
5,823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw /forum/post/15580448

[soapbox]

VHS -> Laserdisc -> DVD -> DTheater -> HD-DVD -> BD and people ***** more than ever about PQ (grain, DNR, EE, etc.) Give me a break! Sounds like some people will never be satisfied.

If you're not happy with current BD quality, don't buy it, RENT instead. Try being grateful for how far the quality has come along in a relatively short time. IMHO, these comparison threads are a waste of time, AVS space, and Internet bandwidth.

Life's too short. Try watching a movie instead....

[/soapbox]

Let me guess you worked on the transfer of The Longest Day and are here to tell people to stop moaning because it's just perfect....Am i right ?

·
Registered
JVC NZ8, 2.35:1 125" screen, Marantz AV7705, 7.2.4 Def Tech speakers, Sunfire Theater Grand 400x7
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /forum/post/15580665

Let me guess you worked on the transfer of The Longest Day and are here to tell people to stop moaning because it's just perfect....Am i right ?

Good one.
(And no, you're not right.)

I'm greatful for being warned to stay away from bad titles, but I got that info/warning from PQ rating threads with HD-DVD and earlier. PQ high, so buy, otherwise rent.

I'm just not sure that anyone can say for certainty that TLD or Patton will EVER look better? Some films just have poor masters, focus issues, etc.

I'm all for trying to get the studios to deliver the best BD possible and end the use of DNR and EE. I just don't see how 10 pages of posts nit-picking King Kong HD-DVD vs. BD or other high quality titles helps that effort at all. Seems like much ado about nothing.

·
Banned
5,823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw /forum/post/15580987

Good one.
(And no, you're not right.)

I'm just not sure that anyone can say for certainty that TLD or Patton will EVER look better? Some films just have poor masters, focus issues, etc.

In the case of those two titles they had good quality masters but added DNR when making the Blu Ray encode and thats the only reason they look the way they do on Blu.

Good to see you have a sense of humor

·
Registered
1,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw /forum/post/15580448

[soapbox]Life's too short. Try watching a movie instead....

[/soapbox]

You bet! It's like beating a dead horse.......

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn /forum/post/15580709

You're right it's just you. The comparisons are fun ,the potential and opportunity lost in poor transfers is not.

Art

Maybe, but at least there's now a thread for a different point of view on the subject. Hopefully, it leads to more concrete action. Perhaps an email compaign to address studio DNR/EE. Something more construction then just nitpicking quit decent BD titles before the medium is truly crowned king by market share. Obviously, poor transfers are a loss to all (except maybe a studio double-dip).

And no, I'm too busy working (and watching movies) to start said compaign.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Xylon's and others posting help me to choose and therefore save money.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey p /forum/post/15581083

You bet! It's like beating a dead horse.......

Mikey,

I can see by our similar years on AVS with relatively low post count that brilliant minds think alike.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds /forum/post/15581115

Xylon's and others posting help me to choose and therefore save money.

Agreed 100%. That's what I said with regards to PQ rating threads, buying vs. renting, etc. Xylon's pictures and initial observations are great and useful for making a decision to spend/save money.

I guess what I have an issue with is the 19+ pages of follow-up posts to Baraka, for example. Seems like overkill when you can suse what Xylon's saying on the first page.

I'm also wondering what the point is for pages of posts comparing the King Kong or Serenity HD-DVDs and BDs, other than to say they're virtually identical, so save your money. Seriously, if you think those HD-DVD require an upgrade to BD, then you've got too much spare cash and should donate your "second coat" to charity (sell the HD-DVD and give the proceeds to the poor).

Guess I'm just advocating some common sense to those with upgraditus, that see EE and missing grain at every turn.

Relax, BD is MUCH better than VHS, Laserdisc, etc. I see more nitpicking now than in previous generations of media.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw /forum/post/15581303

Guess I'm just advocating some common sense to those with upgraditus, that see EE and missing grain at every turn.

Relax, BD is MUCH better than VHS, Laserdisc, etc. I see more nitpicking now than in previous generations of media.

Because BR is capable of being essentially for all intents, forsake of my comments, and purpose flawless the first time round. Sheesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeuz /forum/post/15581627

I agree thread starter. WHAT THE **** is wrong with people on this site?

Go watch the movie, sitting there like some lame nerds going over pics! Xylon should be banned and this forum should allow for more thread starting about blu-ray releases.

Seems to me people r just looking for flaws on releases. One little grain flaw and people go anal. GTFO, bunch of bitter hddvd kids.

Just because your expectations in level of quality are so minimal does not mean others will share a similar attitude.

No one here can force you not to buy or appreciate a movie regardless of its technical merits or not.

The big sticky issue is most folks that have been labeled as 'anal' are film buffs, more so than the lowest common denominator and have most likely paid up on various improved releases. Those who have invested more than once on their favorite films and feel that at last that BR is the medium that can deliver a stellar product and no longer need to upgrade beyond it.

BR can provide image quality that is very similar to the original source and I for one want a product that provides the best quality since I've purchased many films before more than once, BR can be my final purchase of a beloved film.

Thus I know from personal experience in my field and in watching various BR films that there are no more excuses for less than stellar transfers.

If you're ok with minimal effort, flawed, and distorted transfers, fine enjoy the movie. You would never buy a new car with a few chips and dents in it because you simply enjoy the car without expecting a good discount and service to repair the damage.

Best Regards

KvE

PS There are no real reasons, especially from high profile Hollywood films, to settle for less this time since BR is fully capable of delivering the goods the first time round.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw /forum/post/15581303

Well, obviously. If I'm listening to a tape on a walkman, I'm not going to complain about the mastering, because that's not the point of why you'd listen to tapes in a walkman. If a CD sounds bad on my nice stereo gear, that's an issue.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
The funny thing about LD, is that if we actually went back to re-examine some of those releases, we would discover that a lot more grain was possible in mere sd, than we have become accustomed to in the dvd age. This became suspect to me one day when I fired up my old copy (one and only possession from the LD era, as well) of Career Opportunities on LD. It is by no means any sort of reference quality production, but what I did immediately notice is what unadulterated film grain actually looks like in sd. It's a pretty distinct difference from the norm that has been set by dvd (the "lossy digital" look, if you will).

No doubt, the same is even more true for hd productions. The full extent of how much grain is really in the master vs. what we are being fed through various consumer formats may be far more intense than we expect. It's not the format or the available resolution of hd. By far, it is some wiseguy who sneaks into the studio to twiddle a dnr knob. We must find each and every one of them and expunge them from the industry (ok, just being melodramatic there, as I really don't know what stance should be appropriate).

·
Registered
640 Posts
i like the comparison threads, especially when the blu rar destroys the PQ of the dvd....but on the other hand when the thread turns into comparisons of this

you have to take a step back and really ask if you enjoy watching movies

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.