AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfjunky /forum/post/20880114

Netgear NeoTV 550. Relatively cheap and plays all my BD ISO's without a hiccup.

GJ

I also use a NeoTV 550 with BD ISOs and I would not call it hiccup free. It does an admirable job with everything except a handful of movies that have DTS-HD MA audio and BonusView. Those movies will get mixed with lossy DTS into PCM as the NeoTV cannot internally decode DTS-HD MA. Additionally, if the bonus view track is using DTS LBR (Express) you will not get any BonusView audio.

I have also had issue with BD-Live discs locking up the player. Netgear is actively working on new firmware, but those issues persist. The theory is the Netgear still needs its BDA license before it can address those problems.

I am still tossing around the idea of going back to a HTPC because of the inconsistencies. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 /forum/post/20882089

I also use a NeoTV 550 with BD ISOs and I would not call it hiccup free. It does an admirable job with everything except a handful of movies that have DTS-HD MA audio and BonusView. Those movies will get mixed with lossy DTS into PCM as the NeoTV cannot internally decode DTS-HD MA. Additionally, if the bonus view track is using DTS LBR (Express) you will not get any BonusView audio.

I have also had issue with BD-Live discs locking up the player. Netgear is actively working on new firmware, but those issues persist. The theory is the Netgear still needs its BDA license before it can address those problems.

I am still tossing around the idea of going back to a HTPC because of the inconsistencies. Just my two cents.

...or just get a Dune that has a full license

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
If you don't mind not having full BR menu, the TViX S1 is pretty good with BD-ISO and support HD-Audio as well as smooth 23.978Hz playback.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 /forum/post/20883994

I am curious as to why you say that? What makes the Dune playback superior to that of a PC?

I wouldn't say playback is superior. For playback I would consider the Dune to be plug n play whereas with an HTPC it would require some work (such as auto switching refresh rates, setting up codecs, etc....)

·
UHD Addict
39,541 Posts
The PCH products playback with full BD menus from BD ISOs with no issues. At least my C200 does. I certainly would rather use my C200 than a PS3 if I were to play back a disc. But that is also a rare occurance for me to play an actual disc.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

Quote:
I am curious as to why you say that? What makes the Dune playback superior to that of a PC?

There is a thread in the htpc section where I clarify my opinion. In short, the only way to get perfect 23.976 (ie, no frame skips/drops over an entire movie) is to do a custom resolution with an nvidia card and using madvr. This custom resolution is slightly different depending on card and display. However, nvidia cards have/had color space issues. For instance, it is tricky to get 16-235 output correctly in my experience. Further, there is no way to use madvr when playing a full br with menus.

Meanwhile media players like the dune (and especially the late sagetv hd300) can output perfect video and audio with no trouble at all. And at a cheaper price. I suppose you can get very close to the video quality of a media player with a properly setup htpc, but it will cost a lot more and require a lot more tinkering to get there.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 /forum/post/20882089

I'm just giving my experience that I've never had a problem with any BD ISO that I've tried. Granted I am not a power user by any means and I do not play BD-Live discs, so I can't chime in on that.

For the price, it's worth a look.

GJ

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound dropouts /forum/post/20884044

There is a thread in the htpc section where I clarify my opinion. In short, the only way to get perfect 23.976 (ie, no frame skips/drops over an entire movie) is to do a custom resolution with an nvidia card and using madvr. This custom resolution is slightly different depending on card and display. However, nvidia cards have/had color space issues. For instance, it is tricky to get 16-235 output correctly in my experience. Further, there is no way to use madvr when playing a full br with menus.

Meanwhile media players like the dune (and especially the late sagetv hd300) can output perfect video and audio with no trouble at all. And at a cheaper price. I suppose you can get very close to the video quality of a media player with a properly setup htpc, but it will cost a lot more and require a lot more tinkering to get there.

I can certainly agree with the pain in setting up a proper HTPC. I have done several through the years and keep finding myself bailing on them because the maintenance involved was just too much. The Netgear has been good thus far, but the audio mixing issues on BonusView discs definitely gets under my skin. I have looked at the Dune players in the past, but have had a difficult time justifying the cost in comparison to a PC. I guess when I get my media server complete, I will take another look at them. Thanks... I think

·
Registered
367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback /forum/post/20880074

Besides the Dune and PCH players, which other players are able to play a blu-ray ISO?

If you're looking for a media player that simply plays BD ISOs, check out the Patriot Box Office - it doesn't offer menu support, but it does a great job at playing BD ISOs - and it's usually available for around $50+/- after rebate

I have 2 of them plus a couple other higher priced/higher featured media players - one PBO is set up on my wired Gb network and gets used fairly often for playing media (including 'many' BD ISOs) in one of the locations in the household where movies are watched - the other PBO resides at my girlfriends' place and is utilized by taking a USB HDD there and connecting it to one of the 2 USB ports on the PBO

It's not one of the most fully featured media players - but for the price per features, it's hard to beat

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is an interesting topic - like the OP I am also investigating the options for Blu-Ray ISO playback for two main reasons: 1, I am fed up with the terrible load times for Blu-Ray's and 2, the convenience of having your BR's on an HDD ready to go.

I would be interested in any views as to HDD playback if it speeds up the menu load times etc.,?

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm2007 /forum/post/20901425

This is an interesting topic - like the OP I am also investigating the options for Blu-Ray ISO playback for two main reasons: 1, I am fed up with the terrible load times for Blu-Ray's and 2, the convenience of having your BR's on an HDD ready to go.

I would be interested in any views as to HDD playback if it speeds up the menu load times etc.,?

No actually all these players are slower than all my BD players. rip main movie only and then the movie starts in .5 seconds.

Sean

·
Registered
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith
No actually all these players are slower than all my BD players. rip main movie only and then the movie starts in .5 seconds.

Sean
Sean,

I just got a Blu-Ray drive for my Windows 7 PC and am happy to rip main movie only for my collection of titles. What would you recommend as the software/workflow for the rip?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd024
If you're looking for a media player that simply plays BD ISOs, check out the Patriot Box Office - it doesn't offer menu support, but it does a great job at playing BD ISOs - and it's usually available for around $50+/- after rebate

I have 2 of them plus a couple other higher priced/higher featured media players - one PBO is set up on my wired Gb network and gets used fairly often for playing media (including 'many' BD ISOs) in one of the locations in the household where movies are watched - the other PBO resides at my girlfriends' place and is utilized by taking a USB HDD there and connecting it to one of the 2 USB ports on the PBO

It's not one of the most fully featured media players - but for the price per features, it's hard to beat
Are you running stock firmware or one of the alternatives such as MEDEBO or ACRBO?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.