AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the Oppo BDP and it is marvelous. I noticed there was a firmware upgrade so I took the opportunity to put it online using the ethernet port. Firmware upgraded fine. I then got hold of the Watchment blu-ray disk and though I'd see what BD Live was about. Either I'm doing something wrong or the answer is "not much".


After the tedious setting up an account with Warner Brothers, I logged in and tried to download a feature. I was 40MB, and in 10 minutes it was at 58%. After 30 minutes it was still at 58%. So I tried again (you have to turn the Oppo off and back on to do this), downloading a different feature. Same problem - gets a bit over halfway and hangs.


I did get far enough to discover I really don't care about the BD Live extras anyway, but I am curious why it doesn't work Thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocostich /forum/post/16952090


I got the Oppo BDP and it is marvelous. I noticed there was a firmware upgrade so I took the opportunity to put it online using the ethernet port. Firmware upgraded fine. I then got hold of the Watchment blu-ray disk and though I'd see what BD Live was about. Either I'm doing something wrong or the answer is "not much".


After the tedious setting up an account with Warner Brothers, I logged in and tried to download a feature. I was 40MB, and in 10 minutes it was at 58%. After 30 minutes it was still at 58%. So I tried again (you have to turn the Oppo off and back on to do this), downloading a different feature. Same problem - gets a bit over halfway and hangs.


I did get far enough to discover I really don't care about the BD Live extras anyway, but I am curious why it doesn't work Thoughts?

I have read that the problems are with the studio's servers. I think BD-Live is a gimmick, and I am one of those people that rarely watches extras, but...once the costs lower, I am sure the studios will increase support.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,671 Posts
The Oppo player generally has fast connection times to BD-Live, depending on your internet connection, of course. The problems with Watchmen were due to the studio's servers.


For the most part, there's not a lot interesting out there on BD-Live. However, the Star Trek (both TV show and film series) discs make very good use of it by providing access to an online encyclopedia of Trek info. That's really been the only standout for me so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,546 Posts
BD-Live would be better if:


1) There was a standard between studios. BD Live doesnt look or feel the same. Some have different ways of signing up. I'm not even sure if it's the same within studios.


2) You didn't need a disc to be BD-Enabled in order to use it. The player is capable, so why does the disc need to be? This kinda extends what I said in 1). For example, Let the Right one in has incorrect subtitles. If BD-Live was done correctly, I would be able to get the correct subs by logging into BD-Live without the need to have that particular disc be BD-Live capable.


Wolverine is supposed to allow IMDB access... So what am I going to do... put the disc in every time I want to access IMDB from my BD player? This should just be a BD-Live feature, and each movie should have movie-specific content that you can access if you insert the disc.


I think it's a mess that is in need of a standard. Not sure if it will ever happen though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVH /forum/post/16953646


I have read that the problems are with the studio's servers. I think BD-Live is a gimmick, and I am one of those people that rarely watches extras, but...once the costs lower, I am sure the studios will increase support.

+1 for gimmick


All of these extra features were big selling points back in the HD media war days...I was an early adopter of HD-DVD that had full capability very early on and I found these little "U control etc.." type features to be pretty much useless unless you're extremely bored and have nothing better to do. I just want the best possible PQ/sound and an interesting "making of" thrown in...but don't really care about marketing bullet points.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,100 Posts
I never access BDLive. Where I live (in the middle of nowhere) it costs a fortune for bandwidth, and I'm only allowed 20gigs/month as the highest package offered, paying an absolute premium.
It irritates me that in order to access certain special features, I have to spend my own bandwidth on it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack /forum/post/16954501


gimmick and very annoying. The old dvd days of all the extras being actually "ON" the disc... ah, memories....

Exactly. That's a trend I don't like to see.


Also, there are some truly idiotic uses, like Lionsgate which gives you weather updates and a clock on the main menu. Huh? What the hell good does that do?


The only time I've ever said "cool" to a BD-Live feature was the Terminator 2 Skynet edition, in which it located my exact location, ISP, and stated I was a prime target for elimination. Pointless, but I smiled. Not worth the extra load time everytime I put the disc in though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod /forum/post/16954856


Also, there are some truly idiotic uses, like Lionsgate which gives you weather updates and a clock on the main menu. Huh? What the hell good does that do?

Especially when both the clock and weather info are inaccurate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,899 Posts
BD Live would be OK if you didn't need to log in or create accounts. It's too tedious now.


Why can't I just hit one button and automatically access the servers for the content I chose?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,801 Posts
Is this thing even really being utilized anymore? I largely ignore it, but don't remember seeing it touted by studios these days. I know Watchmen had some sort of dealio going on, but that was the last time I remember anything sustantial related to BD Live.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 /forum/post/16953979


+1 for gimmick


All of these extra features were big selling points back in the HD media war days...I was an early adopter of HD-DVD that had full capability very early on and I found these little "U control etc.." type features to be pretty much useless unless you're extremely bored and have nothing better to do. I just want the best possible PQ/sound and an interesting "making of" thrown in...but don't really care about marketing bullet points.

Exactly my thoughts too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
BD-Live will hopefully fade away and die when the Studios realise that nobody ever uses that ****. And then we might finally be free from that **** and get faster and problem free disc loading



I thought lame interactivity like this would stay dead when CD-I crashed and burned in the mid 90:s



Makes me wish I was back in the Laserdiscs days with no damn load times, no silly and crappy menus. Just pop the disc in and the movie started right away.

Good times!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,801 Posts
You can't believe how happy I get when certain (very few) movies let me start again from where I stop. Get rid of all the garbage on Blu Rays and just let me watch the movie!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile /forum/post/16956149


indeed bd live is a worthless joke of a feature. hopefully it will improve in speed and content or it will disappear.

Quoted for truth.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top