AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this beta software and have tried it a few times. For the point and clickers among us, this software is SUPERB, and its still a BETA !!

I'm sure it will get much better, but I can't even imagine how much better it CAN be, so far for me it has worked flawlessly, absolutely perfectly.

Have a look, try it and let me know what you think:

http://snipurl.com/98zxf

I've no affiliations with the creator, I just wanted to get the word out so development might be hastened. I hope this post doesn't break any rules or conventions, this isn't something I do regularly...

·
Registered
111 Posts
According to the beta testers at Doom9 (where I dare not speak) the program still has quite a few bugs, but it seems to have great potential. If it could decrypt we would be talking about a sort of "BluRayShrink" (sweet...)but it seems that for the time being AnyDVD is the only option in that front.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Being beta, I have no doubt it has lots of bugs, I haven't personally run across any in the three BD's I've shrunk, but I'm sure they are there, of course. The potential of this is HUGE in my estimation. Automating a process like this is invaluable for a "point and click" user like me, its basically freedom to backup my less important BD's in a way which allows me to do it easily onto media which is dirt cheap.

I already have AnyDVD HD which makes this software super simple. The last disc I did was "Me Myself and Irene" which I did from a mounted image on a remote computer. Worked superbly with one click !

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
This is great news. I haven't visited Doom9 for a while so I was unaware that this existed. I've been a long-time user of DVD Rebuilder Pro and it's the absolute best compression package for DVDs anywhere. If J Dobbs has ported over his technique for compressing BD discs into a more manageable size then I'll be a very happy camper. He doesn't compromise when it comes to picture quality, which is my No. 1 priority (not much point in going with Blu-Ray if you're going to have it look like a standard DVD when you're through).

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I concur, this is the most amazing software in my 8 years of HTPC.

I shrunk The Dark Knight BD onto a DVD+R DL WITHOUT picture quality loss, absolutely amazing!!!

The audio track was recompressed to 448 Dolby, but I don;t care. Now I can archive my movies on HD for 1/5 the space without any picture loss

I watch my movies on a 100" screen from a NEC XGLC CRT 8" fully balls to the wall PJ at [email protected]

This is awesome software! But I will need to buy a new PC. It took 22hrs to do the encode lol!!!

On a Quad core it should take abbout 5 -7 hrs for a 2hr movie

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YONEXSP /forum/post/15486449

I concur, this is the most amazing software in my 8 years of HTPC.

I shrunk The Dark Knight BD onto a DVD+R DL WITHOUT picture quality loss, absolutely amazing!!!

The audio track was recompressed to 448 Dolby, but I don;t care. Now I can archive my movies on HD for 1/5 the space without any picture loss

I watch my movies on a 100" screen from a NEC XGLC CRT 8" fully balls to the wall PJ at [email protected]

This is awesome software! But I will need to buy a new PC. It took 22hrs to do the encode lol!!!

On a Quad core it should take about 5 -7 hrs for a 2hr movie

You're insane, you can't do that kind of compression without loss of quality. You may not percieve the loss in quality, that doesn't mean it's not there. I've played around with the 10gb or so 1080p rips that float around, they are no where near the same quality as a full BD, although they do look great. THis is on my 42" 1080p LCD.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/15487220

You're insane, you can't do that kind of compression without loss of quality. You may not percieve the loss in quality, that doesn't mean it's not there. I've played around with the 10gb or so 1080p rips that float around, they are no where near the same quality as a full BD, although they do look great. THis is on my 42" 1080p LCD.

Yeah, you'd think that but the results speak for themselves. I have no doubt that there is missing information but it's done in such a way that it's very difficult, if not almost impossible, to see it. But isn't that what really counts? JDobbs is an absolute whiz when it comes to compressing the heck out of a movie without screwing it up visually. I've been a fan of DVD Rebuilder for quite some time now and have been truly amazed at how good the results look. I think it blows DVD Shrink and any other compression apps right out of the water.

I also "shrunk" The Dark Knight to a DVD+9 size (i.e., movie only option) and the picture quality is absolutely amazing. I haven't checked to see what it did to the sound tracks but I'm hoping it retains the original HD audio. The only downside I'm seeing so far is that it takes a ridiculous amount of time to process a single movie. The Dark Knight took about 24 hours to process, but then again I was doing it across a network interface. The original iso file is located on my unRAID server but I mounted the image locally on my PC to work with it. I'm not sure that matters all that much but I thought I'd toss that out there in case it did. I have no propblem playing back remotely mounted iso's of ripped BD's via my HTPC.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/15487220

Those rips are not from BD Rebuilder, and until you try it scoff all you want. Try it then get back to us. You will come back and admit my original statement. Then everyone will get out their 8x magnification software to find a pixel here or there.

So no, I'm not nuts, and been around long enough not to throw around statements such as I did in AVS forum without being sure of the statement.

Try it, then get back to us, Take The BD Rebuilder challange

Or you can spend the next couple of days arguing we are all nuts without trying it. Go on, don;t be like the rest, give it go then comment

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm going to give it a try, as the price is right, but I'm going into it with the a bit of skepticism. This reminds me of the arguments that I had with my friend over 10 years ago when he said that a 3MB MP3 was of the same practical quality as a 20MB+ WAV file, because the encryption only takes out the "stuff that you can't hear." If a lossless compression was possible, why wouldn't studios have done so? (That's ignoring the tin-foil hat conspiracy theorists who think that it's done so you have to buy a new player. They could just as easily create DVD+ players that use the same optical media storage, but promise this better output, for much less money than the BD - HDDVD war cost.)

·
Registered
2,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhorwitz /forum/post/15487669

I'm going to give it a try, as the price is right, but I'm going into it with the a bit of skepticism. This reminds me of the arguments that I had with my friend over 10 years ago when he said that a 3MB MP3 was of the same practical quality as a 20MB+ WAV file, because the encryption only takes out the "stuff that you can't hear." If a lossless compression was possible, why wouldn't studios have done so? (That's ignoring the tin-foil hat conspiracy theorists who think that it's done so you have to buy a new player. They could just as easily create DVD+ players that use the same optical media storage, but promise this better output, for much less money than the BD - HDDVD war cost.)

Sounds like a fair position to me, look forward to your report. FWIW I encode to DVD9 (DVD+ DL size) as my setting, going to DVD5 is to small.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Will this software allow you to strip out extras and audio tracks you do not want and leave the menu system and chapter structure intact?

I dont want any compression, but I also dont care for the 3-4 other language tracks or extras.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZAJ /forum/post/15487967

Will this software allow you to strip out extras and audio tracks you do not want and leave the menu system and chapter structure intact?

I dont want any compression, but I also dont care for the 3-4 other language tracks or extras.

Yes

·
Registered
2,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 /forum/post/15488147

Cool, I'm all for a "BDShrink" app, but I don't want any recompression done. So I'll be giving it a try.

Be aware that it takes loong time depending on your machine it could be long. On mine it took 24 hrs to Rebuild The Dark Knight.

Download a copy of imgburn and that is all you need

·
Registered
2,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 /forum/post/15488486

Why does it take so long with no recompression?

32gb (TDK) of data to process takes a longtime. If you have a quad-core it is much faster, probably 8hrs. I read the new i7 cores can do it even faster. Sonme say 5hrs for a 2hr movie

·
Registered
2,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumworx /forum/post/15488704

What players would be able to play hte resultant DVD-9's?

You can't play them in a standard DVD player.

I'm not sure if a Blu-Ray player could play these.

The only player I could see is the PC.

Are there others?

I belive some Samsung BD players are capable. ther is a list of compatible players out there. But as this is the hTPC forum "The only player I could see is the PC." does not seem to be a problem

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.