AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have anyone try to use the BD-ROM with a USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Cable Adapter? I want to try my LG BD-ROM in my other HTPC. I'm too lazy to open up the entertainment center and the PC case. If it works, it will save a lot of time and I can use the same LG BD-ROM on multiple HTPC.

Here are the photos:

·
Banned
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and another thing too, can Intel P4 3 GHz processor handle blu-ray? The LG BD-ROM works fine on my P4 3.4 GHz. I want to make sure it works on the 3 GHz before I remove it from the HTPC down stair. It is a lot of work to remove it from the entertainment center and the PC case. Thanks.

·
Banned
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ79 /forum/post/15594120

Yes, and a conditional yes (only with hardware acceleration).

DJ79- thanks. Is it yes, meaning BD-ROM will work with a USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Cable Adapter and 3 GHz processor will work with a BD-ROM? Can you be more specific? Can you recommend a hardware acceleration hardware?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Sorry. The drive will work with the USB 2.0 SATA adapter. I was using one from Sabrent (SATA only). But you can use it for Blu-ray with a P4 only if the video section has hardware acceleration, as the CPU isn't powerful enough on its own.

You didn't specify which OS, which player, and which video board you're using, and the final answer may depend on those as well, but you said your other system works fine, so I'm guessing you'll manage with this one, too. Any recent video board should have HD hardware acceleration. I'd look at an ATI X4650 or equivalent.

·
Banned
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you use the Sabrent SATA Cable Adapter w/ the BD-ROM? The player is listed above and it is a LG BD-ROM. It is Microsoft Windows XP Media Center 2005 w/ SP3. Unfortunately, the 3GHz system graphic card is not HDCP ready.

As you suggested, I might have to get a new video card with the hardware acceleration.

I didn't have to do anything special w/ the 3.4GHz system, and everything is equipped to support BD-ROM.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys did it work? I also want to follow this method. i have a laptop with core2duo T7500 proc 2.2 ghz and 8600mgt to support Hardware acceleration

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
I use such a USB adapter with an LG Blu-ray reader and an LG Blu-ray writer. It works fine with both. USB2 has plenty of bandwidth to handle any Blu-ray demands. Blu-ray = up to 40mbps. USB2 = up to 50MBps.

8mbps = 1MBps.

I have my computers in the basement and the Blu-ray drives upstairs for easy access. I use an active USB2 cable and a regular USB2 cable to get the distance I need for that cable run. You could also use a USB hub to extend the run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts