AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
10,408 Posts
It uses a lesser DAC from the same MFR, plus Oppo uses a better scaling/de-interlacing chip from a different MFR all together. So why this cost more still remains an enigma.

·
Registered
17,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun /forum/post/17751943

It uses a lesser DAC from the same MFR, plus Oppo uses a better scaling/de-interlacing chip from a different MFR all together. So why this cost more still remains an enigma.

When he was referring to OPPO similarities, I think he had the older DV-980H in mind... not the BDP-83.

At any rate, CA seems to usually focus more on the audio side of things, so who knows what may be in store for that aspect.
IF they have created a high end analog stage for audio, the player may sell very well for audiophiles.

We shall see how it stacks up, once we see a few reviews.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have a Cambridge Audio 840c cd player and a Oppo BDP83(currently in transit to be upgraded to SE). The 840C sounds better than the 83 on cd playback, to me. I hope that the audio side of the 650BD is on par with the 840C and I could be onboard to buy one, unless the Oppo SE upgrade dramatically improves the analog sound.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6737 /forum/post/17754366

I have a Cambridge Audio 840c cd player and a Oppo BDP83(currently in transit to be upgraded to SE). The 840C sounds better than the 83 on cd playback, to me. I hope that the audio side of the 650BD is on par with the 840C and I could be onboard to buy one, unless the Oppo SE upgrade dramatically improves the analog sound.

pete I feel you are being a bit unrealistic, the 650bd is to retail at half the price of the 840c and the 840c in not just dacs and power supplies and analog stages it is a quantum ahead of the oppo as you have found and have no doubt will be the same for the 650bd as well.

you have in the combination a best of both worlds, I doubt you will expect the same from a product at a cheaper price point and that is not likely to have the same technologically. just not really something going to happen.

·
Registered
330 Posts
just a pipe dream
, , don't wake me up!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you noticed the rear plate on USA model?

You can see it on CA com site...

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka3rd /forum/post/17786226

Have you noticed the rear plate on USA model?

You can see it on CA com site...

Please elaborate.....are you saying that there is a difference between US and European models? Personally I have a hard time believing that, since they make the player with a 50/60 Hz switch mode power supply..

Flemming

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
According to the official webpage, it's a universal player so the "BD/SACD" in the thread title should be amended.

Also it has gold-plated connectors (I've seen them myself at the dealer) so the photo in post 1 isn't accurate any more.

I shall audition it together with the 650R receiver (which I'm hoping to replace the old non-HDMI NAD AVR with) when it arrives at the dealer.

I wonder if the Oppo multi-region mod kit can be used on the 650BD - probably wishful thinking.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca /forum/post/17819975

According to the official webpage, it's a universal player so the "BD/SACD" in the thread title should be amended.

Also it has gold-plated connectors (I've seen them myself at the dealer) so the photo in post 1 isn't accurate any more.

I shall audition it together with the 650R receiver (which I'm hoping to replace the old non-HDMI NAD AVR with) when it arrives at the dealer.

I wonder if the Oppo multi-region mod kit can be used on the 650BD - probably wishful thinking.

Don't worry about the mod kit - there's one for the 650BD already.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flemminghb /forum/post/17823242

Don't worry about the mod kit - there's one for the 650BD already.

Is this mod-kit like the one for the Oppo which you just plug straight in to replace the ribbon cable or is it more like the one for the Panasonics and Pioneers which requires some soldering?

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_vfr /forum/post/17829966

Is this mod-kit like the one for the Oppo which you just plug straight in to replace the ribbon cable or is it more like the one for the Panasonics and Pioneers which requires some soldering?

Yes, same type as for the Oppo - no soldering required - I have the link, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it - but you can IM me.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flemminghb /forum/post/17831896

Yes, same type as for the Oppo - no soldering required - I have the link, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it - but you can IM me.

Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
 Cambridge Audio 650BD multiregion DIY kit

Since there've been a few threads on multi-region mods here I don't see any particular reason not to allow discussion in this thread. I hope this thread allows free flow of info unlike the atmosphere cultivated in the Oppo thread.

I was going to get the Oppo some time for MR Blu-ray playback but my old region A Panny BD player has played most (>10) region B 'locked' discs I've bought so there is no urgency. Now with the availability of MR kit for the CA I might get this instead (Canadian MSRP $799). I already have the DVDO Edge so not having the ABT chip in the CA BD player isn't important at all. Another consideration is there isn't an Oppo reseller locally and I'd rather not buy electronics via the post.

·
Registered
17,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca /forum/post/17835691

Since there've been a few threads on multi-region mods here I don't see any particular reason not to allow discussion in this thread. I hope this thread allows free flow of info unlike the atmosphere cultivated in the Oppo thread.

OPPO discourages the talk of hacking their players software or hardware mods that may brick the player, and for sure will void the warranty.

Of course anyone can choose to do what they want with their own player though.

The biggest reason for the subject becoming somewhat taboo in the OPPO threads, was that when OPPO decided to abide by the BDA rules, thus not risking their license to sell BD players by selling them with region unlocking ability, many people made a stink over it.

The decision was done and over with, but many just didn't want to hear it, and wanted to voice their opinion very loudly. So the end result was banning region free talk.

Since then, the reins have been loosened a bit, but OPPO still discourages such talk for all of the reasons listed above.

Quote:
I was going to get the Oppo some time for MR Blu-ray playback but my old region A Panny BD player has played most (>10) region B 'locked' discs I've bought so there is no urgency. Now with the availability of MR kit for the CA I might get this instead (Canadian MSRP $799). I already have the DVDO Edge so not having the ABT chip in the CA BD player isn't important at all. Another consideration is there isn't an Oppo reseller locally and I'd rather not buy electronics via the post.

Why do you fear buying products over the internet.

Many thousands of businesses do legitimate and safe business on the internet everyday without consequence. (see Amazon.com and Ebay.com)

OPPO is one of those businesses that has sold many thousands of products to many satisfied customers.

With their 30 day money back guarantee, a shipment that is fully insured, along with top notch customer service and support, there is no reasonable reason to not buy from them.

Of course if you think the BDP-83 may not be the right player for you, then that is a different story.

Remember also, that OPPO is scheduled to announce the addition of a new BD player to their lineup VERY soon.

Watch their website or anywhere on the internet for more news coming soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
"....Remember also, that OPPO is scheduled to announce the addition of a new BD player to their lineup VERY soon.

Watch their website or anywhere on the internet for more news coming soon..."

That sounds very interesting.......what can we expect to see?

·
Registered
5 Posts
anyone find any reviews on this? Saw a good price for it here in HK and was listening to it play blu-ray and SACD at the store I was at...was very good indeed.

Hoping to replace a cheapo mini-bluray player I got (and hpefully donate that to my parents).

·
Registered
113 Posts
I got the Azur 650BD yesterday and all I can say is that it is a solid and well thought of player with high end picture and audio. And it really is lightning fast too!

61 - 80 of 210 Posts