AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get Blue Ray up and running on my PC. I have a couple of BD disks (The Dutchess and Batman Begins) but both give me trouble - Batman Begins image staggers a little and The Dutchess BD stays on the title menu (no way to skip to a chapter or click on Start/Play). Does anyone have any suggestions on any teaks that could make the titles work? Is it a PC issue or a PowerDVD issue?

I have PowerDVD 7 Ultra and I have a PC that satisfies the minimum requiremetns according to Cyberlink's BD Advisor. The only items that are orange (and not green) are hardware accelleration and CPU. The PC uses an AMD Athlon 3800 (which should satisfy the minimum requirement), and has 2Gig memory and graphics card is ATI x1900. I have the latest version of Catalyst installed. BD drive is a LiteOn DH-401S drive.

The PC is typically running at very high % of CPU power when trying to run the BD disks and sometimes even touches 100%. But even when running at lower CPU, I find the image on Batman Begins a bit staggered. Is it just CPU horsepower I need, or are there wider issues? Might there be settings I can play with in Catalyst (any way to turn on hardware acceleration? It's greyed out in PowerDVD settings).

Thanks in advance! (I have a date tomorrow, and would be great to have BD working by then
)

·
Registered
2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnetbiz /forum/post/15564933

I'm trying to get Blue Ray up and running on my PC. I have a couple of BD disks (The Dutchess and Batman Begins) but both give me trouble - Batman Begins image staggers a little and The Dutchess BD stays on the title menu (no way to skip to a chapter or click on Start/Play). Does anyone have any suggestions on any teaks that could make the titles work? Is it a PC issue or a PowerDVD issue?

I have PowerDVD 7 Ultra and I have a PC that satisfies the minimum requiremetns according to Cyberlink's BD Advisor. The only items that are orange (and not green) are hardware accelleration and CPU. The PC uses an AMD Athlon 3800 (which should satisfy the minimum requirement), and has 2Gig memory and graphics card is ATI x1900. I have the latest version of Catalyst installed. BD drive is a LiteOn DH-401S drive.

The PC is typically running at very high % of CPU power when trying to run the BD disks and sometimes even touches 100%. But even when running at lower CPU, I find the image on Batman Begins a bit staggered. Is it just CPU horsepower I need, or are there wider issues? Might there be settings I can play with in Catalyst (any way to turn on hardware acceleration? It's greyed out in PowerDVD settings).

Thanks in advance! (I have a date tomorrow, and would be great to have BD working by then
)

PDVD7? Maybe you should looking to upgrade to PDVD8 or TMT. Also, AnyDVD HD might help too.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
A couple of things:

1) Your video card is marginal for BD playback at best - not sure which codecs it supports via HA (different studios use different ones)

2) The way to enable HA with PDVD however, is to select it before you put in the disc. (I have heard it said that PDVD automatically uses it anyways, but I have not verified this myself)

Also, have you downloaded/installed the latest PDVD patches? That can also make a big difference depending on which movies you are trying to play.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Shouldn't be a need to upgrade to 8 - I've been running 7 for quite awhile and it hums along quite nicely on my (far from overpowering) rig.

Also, I've found that PDVD 7 works every bit as good as TMT when it comes to smooth playback.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input so far. I have downloaded the latest PDVD 7 patch (their primary 'update' - not sure if there are any more? I'm not seeing any suggested updaetes when I try the 'upgrade' tab, apart from the offer to upgrade to PDVD 8).

I'm also using AnyDVD - not sure if that might be part of the problem.

My graphics card shows up as Green on the Cyberlink BD Advisor (jus the Hardware Accelleration aspect of the Graphics card shows up as orange).

I had been using this machine to play HDDVDs with no problem - was using the outboard XBox drive, so it's disappointing to be getting problems with the BD drive.

Anyways, any more suggestions very welcome - hope I can get this fixed without having to get a new machine or processor/motherboard.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I'm going to stick with my "it may meet the minimum specs, but won't play all codecs properly" theory.

The card and processor are really pre-BD and are not optimized to handle HA of the types of codecs regularly used these days.

A new video card should do the trick and would be able to offload the vast majority of the processing from your cpu.

BTW-the HD-DVDs are a piece of cake to process compared to the latest BDs...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts