AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys getting ready to purchase a new HTPC. As far as the play back go's I know a 4 or 6 won't matter much and I don't mind using an external vid card if needed. My Navida 9500GT does a great job on the vid side......holds 23.97.

My question is on the MKV rip side.........I use MakeMKv and Handbreak,but on my present 2 core AMD system 5600+ it takes 24 hours for the rip and 8 for the handbreak encode...yes 32 hours. How much difference in a AMD 6 core vers a Sandybridge 4 core or a AMD Llano....are we talking a few min or a few hours in the rip/encode

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Ripping a BD movie by MakeMKV usually takes

As for x264 encoding (HandBrake is just a frontend of x264), x264 HD Benchmark scores will be helpful. Even with Core i7-2600K, it takes ~8 hours to encode a 2 hour HD video. "8 for the handbreak encode" with "2 core AMD system 5600+" is another mystery...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.......looks like the 6 core is going to get the nod. I'm with you on the MakeMkv Iv'e ripped several always 24 hours...... my drive is an older 400 Gb IDE not Sata ,and my Backup HTPC I used for ripping only had 2 GB Ram........maybe this had something to do with it.

Thank renethx I have read several of your post to others seeking advice on HTPC and your sticky is full of advice. Ill let you know how the new machine does on the MKV/Handbreak......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.