AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1308 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 /forum/post/13390325

Span, I think you mentioned something in the other thread about Warner titles reverting to 60 fps. I haven't noticed this but I'll pay closer attention next time.

EDIT: I tested 8 Warner HD DVD titles. All with the exception of 2 played at 24 fps, TMNT and Blood Diamond. Phantom of the Opera, Superman Returns, Million Dollar Baby, Gothika, Corpse Bride, and a Scanner Darkly all showed as being at 60 hz on my Samsung display. I don't have any of the titles you listed in the other thread but we might be onto another glitch here.

Warner Bros HD DVD titles I have which the BD-UP5000 plays in 60hz mode include:

- Oceans Eleven, Oceans Twelve, Oceans Thirteen, 300, Harry Potter/Order of the Phoenix

Coincidentally, I have watched two of those films in their entirety with the BD-UP5000 (Oceans Thirteen and 300) and they are the only two films I've experienced audio dropouts with so far of any format (seems to happen within a minute of a chapter break).

Warner Bros HD DVD titles I own which the BD-UP5000 presents at 24hz include:

- Matrix, Matrix Reloaded, Matrix Revolutions, Troy, The Departed, Charlie/Chocolate Factory.

Of those Warner films, I've watched Charlie & the Chocolate Factory in its entirety with no audio drop outs.

I would not be surprised if all of the Warner Bros films that force a 60hz mode also have audio drop outs, while those that play in 24hz mode do not; as I watch more of these films on the BD-UP5000 I will try to confirm if that is the case or not. So far these two issue seems to coincide with one another.

·
Banned
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Spanbauer, you're indeed onto something. TMNT on my 5000 also exhibited dropouts!

Eurotrance, I only listed Beowulf as I've still seen several reports (which mirror my own) of minute-long waits before the web update graphic even appears. Welcome back, btw. I hope you don't mind what I've done here during your forced hiatus.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore /forum/post/13392228

I also had significant problems loading the AG disc unless I double tapped the Fast Forward key on versions 1.0 and 1.1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurotrance /forum/post/13395078

AG is American Gangster. My copy works fine on the BD-UP5000.

American Gangster is one of my current rentals, and I was also having difficulty getting the disc to load. My BD-UP5000 is connected to the internet, so the first thing the disc tries to do is download content. My fifth trial and error got the disc to load (skip 1-4 if you don't want the long story):

1st try: the network loading screen came up for a bit, followed by an error message that it couldn't connect at this time and gave me the option to try again or go on without. I accidentally chose to try again, which may have been the source of my continued troubles. It never got anywhere so I ejected the disc and put it back in.

2nd try: nothing but a blank screen this time, with the counter running on the front of the player. Waited 2-3 minutes and ejected the disc.

3rd try: the network load screen returned this time, but neither the load bar or the counter on the front of the player were doing anything. ejected the disc to try again.

4th try: the network load screen hit the ground running this time, but after five minutes of nothing I decided to try the "cancel" button which did no good. Powered the unit down.

5th try: Went in to the persistent storage management in the player's setup/system setup menu. There were Warner Bros entries, a New Line entry, and then several unknown entries. Not sure which was American Gangster, I deleted all of the entries that weren't labeled as another studio (American Gangster is Universal). After that, I started the movie again after after a minute or less of the network loading screen the disc proceeded to the menu just as it should. Henceforth, the network screen only appears for a second as it's already loaded what it wants to load.

Hope this helps others.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just to throw in 2cents... A number of problems with these players and internet download able content may vary depending on your connection speed. Anyone with a player that is wired to an ethernet bridge or wireless adapter is going to have more data loss and thus, a longer download time for the info from the studio. Also keep in mind, when (time wise) you are watching a movie... is it prime time on the east or west coast (of the USA) all of these factors can significantly effect the download speed of the player as well as the content that is being downloaded from the web. As far as 24hz v. 60hz on Universal discs, I am going to sit down now and re-analyze my library... I have many of the movies already mentioned, but if anyone wants a detailed list posted here I would be more than happy to test em all!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone else tried the BD "Hitman"?

For me, it refuses to load -- "This disc cannot be played" or something of the sort. I tried rebooting the player and still no go; tried to play it several times. Nov. build, FW 1.2. For my player anyway, this is the first disc to do this repeatedly.

By the way, it's a brand new disc -- not a rental.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
How can you connect the Samsung BD-UP5000 by Wireless?

It only has an Ethernet port. Besides most peoples Broadband is no more than 8Mb (correct me if I'm wrong) which is much less than 54Mbps G.

For those with American Gangster problems, have you tried disabling the Ethernet port? It sounds more trouble than it's worth.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've played all the Harry Potters and only experienced drop outs on Order of the Phoenix. I didnt get drop outs on TMNT on multiple veiwings. I will go through my Warner HD DVD movies ( I have a quite a few) over the next few days to see if I experience any drop outs.

So far the only movies I've had drop outs with are Order of the Phoenix and Beowulf.

·
Banned
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It's really hard to find a rhyme or reason on these audio dropouts but I think it's obvious there's an underlying problem or else we wouldn't have similar reports.

Bradavon, I'm pretty sure tarch was referring to connecting the BD-UP5000 to the internet by way of a wireless internet bridge (with a network cable connecting it to said bridge
). Oh, and Tarch, just so you don't waste your time with Universal discs, remember to check the Warner HD DVDs for the fps discrepancies/audio dropouts.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
@ Vinnie: Understood.

Are there any discs with particularly bad audio drop outs, that everyone can agree on? The LG has this issue too.

·
Banned
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
particularly bad? Nope, lol. There might be a combination of settings and setup situations that are helping trigger it. I just watched Sunshine and detected none. Using DTS-HD it played until the third chapter from the end when the video slowed to a crawl and the audio stuttered and then muted. Restarting the unit, switching to DD and playing back from the chapter where I left off, it played to the end (this was without doing any extra navigation). I hope the next firmware gets to the bottom of this. I also checked Live Free or Die Hard tonight, flawless operation (watched the first 5 minutes, did some fast forward navigation).

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Cool, thanks. It sounds like the audio drop out issue is a generic hardware one and could happen on any HD Disc, has it happened on any SD DVD?

Live Free or Die Hard is called Die Hard 4.0 over here, it's something to do with Live Free or Die Hard being the motto of an American state and no one outside of America probably getting it (that's what I read anyway). They tried to be clever though calling it 4.0 not 4 after the hacker connection

·
Banned
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
heh, thanks for the exposition there.

It does seem to be a generic problem when it comes to DVD using Dolby Digital (I don't have many DVDs to test this but the one I own, Gattaca, exhibited these random dropouts). At the same time, there are high def discs where no dropouts have been reported and I have plenty that don't exhibit dropouts of any sort. Out of about 30 or 40 high def titles, only 3 (TMNT, one of those pesky Warner titles that only displays at 60 fps and Beowulf, which has a DD+ soundtrack) have exhibited audible dropouts and one of those (Ratatouille, PCM) hasn't manifested but one time.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
vinnie97, it sounds to me that your "audio drop out" on "Sunshine" had more to do with the entire player choking (i.e. the video came to a crawl as well) and not really in the same family as the other audio drop outs we've experienced.

Last night I discovered that Ocean's Eleven, another one of the films on my list of Warner Bros movies that cause the player to switch to 60hz mode, also had audio drop outs. So far my theory that if a disc has one issue (60hz only) it'll have the other as well (audio drop outs at the chapter change) holds true. It's also possible that all of these discs have the same kind of audio track (Dolby Digital), which is something I should look in to.

It seems to me at this time that Blu-Ray discs aren't susceptible to only displaying at 60hz mode or the chapter-marker-induced audio drop outs (except in situations where the whole house comes crashing down, i.e. Sunshine). Rather, just SD DVDs and some HD DVDs have these issues. This would make sense, considering HD DVD is just a souped up version of standard DVD, and manufactured in the same fashion. Since the BD-UP5000 will only display SD DVDs at 60hz, perhaps those Warner Bros discs which also cause the player to switch to 60hz are closer in relation to SD DVD than those which do not? Regardless, it's highly likely that all of the Warner Bros films that have audio drop outs and display only at 60hz were authored for Warner by the same company, with the same software.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Planet Earth in HD has audio dropouts for me, about every 7 min's...
I reported this to Samsung and hopefully they will include this in their list...

Peace...

·
Banned
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Span, exactly, I wasn't trying to muddle the issues of audio dropouts on certain HD DVDs with the Sunshine playback problems. Notice I didn't include Sunshine in my list of 3 titles that have exhibited the audio dropouts in question. My apologies for not separating that response into a few paragraphs.

The forced 60 fps does seem to cause some kind of instability for these Warner discs. I will add this to the list but was hoping for one more confirmation before doing so (hopefully Tarch can confirm). 60 fps, Dolby Digital, chapter changes...the answer is out there!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

Quote:
and one of those (Ratatouille, PCM) hasn't manifested but one time.

That's interesting. So it's not even a reoccurring issue on the same discs, not always anyway.

Does it happen more when the player has been on for awhile?

·
Banned
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Nope, does not seem to be related to overheating. Movies that don't exhibit dropouts don't start manifesting at the end of watching said movies, at least not from what I've noticed. That Ratatouille dropout was between 1 and 2 seconds long and near the beginning of the movie.

EDIT: Re: Beowulf dropouts (finally watched this all the way through, tired of waiting for a fix). This evening I heard a handful of them but they sounded more like glitches more than absence of sound.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Quote:
Are there any discs with particularly bad audio drop outs, that everyone can agree on? The LG has this issue too.

Beowolf has the most audio dropouts by far that I have ever experienced on my 5000. The only other movie that I had multiple audio dropouts on was Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix.

·
Registered
20,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 /forum/post/13403803

Nope, does not seem to be related to overheating. Movies that don't exhibit dropouts don't start manifesting at the end of watching said movies, at least not from what I've noticed. That Ratatouille dropout was between 1 and 2 seconds long and near the beginning of the movie.

EDIT: Re: Beowulf dropouts (finally watched this all the way through, tired of waiting for a fix). This evening I heard a handful of them but they sounded more like glitches more than absence of sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMM1 /forum/post/13413215

Beowolf has the most audio dropouts by far that I have ever experienced on my 5000. The only other movie that I had multiple audio dropouts on was Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix.

The funny thing is I didnt experience any dropouts on Beowulf.....So again we have the hodge podge expereince.

21 - 40 of 1308 Posts