AVS Forum banner

861 - 880 of 1308 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 /forum/post/18561596

Don't know what to say about your intermittent BD pausing problem but that doesn't sound firmware-related (sounds like more of a dirty laser issue).

Do a regular cleaner for cd optics work or is there a special one I should use for the player?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludawg94 /forum/post/18575178

Do a regular cleaner for cd optics work or is there a special one I should use for the player?

I have just been using the old now discontinued? Discwasher DVD lens cleaner and an old BiB CD lens cleaner discs. The BiB fixed my Tosh A35 a while back but I used it first so the DW might have cleaned it ok. Check on Amazon there are several and one specific Maxell one that says is is for BD/HD/DVD/CD. I think they sell the same thing with different target markets much like the old CD/DVD/Game Doctor resurfacers that basically ruin your optical discs.

Anyhow I have been meaning to order one of those or possibly the Endust one listed there that specifically mentions BD and or HD. There is also one from Alsop that looks ok? Hard to tell. You might want to do a global AVS search for comments on those things. I think it good practice to open up the unit once in a while and give the lens a good cleaning. That is how we have kept out old original PS2 working all these years.

BTW - I bought a bunch of the DW DVD cleaner discs on closeout years ago and still have a couple extras in case anyone is interested. I have an old original version with the smaller brush and 3-4 or the newer version with the longer brush a couple of which I have never opened. They are great for car stereos where I have used them the most. Other than our PS2 I haven't had to use them much in the in home optical players. However I do run them through every year or two on all my players when I think of it, just to do some Spring cleaning.

Also BTW - I have 2 spare well used copies of Transformers HD up for grabs for a buck+shipping (a tad over 3 clams 1st class total) if anyone is interested. They need a good home. I might keep a spare, but have the BD now. I stocked up on some used ones a couple years ago and am left holding the bag ;-) I see they have gone up to ~$2+$3 shipping online now that inet is out of them and is not selling them for $.99. Maybe in 10 years they will be up to the $10+tax I paid for them?

I also have spare sealed UK import copies of Wyatt Erp and The Reaping on HD-DVD as well for you competionists out there. And a few other odds and ends I need to get rid of. One of these days when I get time I will post a complete list.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Hmmm....well I am so flustered by this last experience that I don't know what to say ;-)

Just got an E-mail from Sammy support replying to my original E-mail about the Sunshine and Pirates 3 regression on Saturday. I explained to them that I had gone from 1.4>1.5>1.4>1.5 and that the two movies would not play with 1.5. I also told them that I system reset the player a couple of times. Did not tell them I had two players with the issue (should have). Anyhow I just got a standard, reset, reapply power cord cycle E-mail from them. This is infuriating. If I had not called Sunday and escalated I would be really pissed at this point, since I would not have a ticket till tomorrow. I guess Sunday is a good day to call, probably not getting a lot of calls early Sunday morning?

Of Course I replied that I was not satisfied and let them have it right between the eyes. I'm not used to this treatment from them. I did get a standard call us live E-mail way back 2 years ago when DDTHD was only 2.0 which I can understand since most 1st tier techs would not understand that issue. However reporting a problem title should go straight to 2nd level if the person sounds credible. Oh I wish these people had to call me for technical support, that would be really fun ;-)

·
Registered
2,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludawg94 /forum/post/18560743

wow I never knew there was such a thread or even a forum to speak about what discs played well on the player. I happened to have stumbled upon this forum having googled up the player (Samsung BD up 5000) to see if a new FW update was in play. The reason was not for avatar but the fact that the Dark Knight was pausing on me during the play of the movie, I guess it was loading? I figured updating the FW would help this out. I noticed this on a couple of other Blu ray movies too where it would pause then keep going, when I would do a rewind of the scene to if it was duplicated the disc woudl just keep playing fine.

Also I noticed on the first post of this thread it talks about the disc quality on Paramount/Dreamwroks movies flickering. I noticed there was something wrong with Transformers, The Warriors, Stardust and Old School all in HD DVD having like a cut or the "flickering" problem when watching these movies. Is it really a problem with the player itself? I thought that problem would be with the disc in the way the movies were encoded given that some of these were the first HD DVDS out there especially with Transformers. So if I turn 24fp mode off on the player these will work fine with out the flickering? That's the reason I got Transformers in Blu-Ray.

**Oops not one of the first HD DVD out there I meant the first format Transformers was released in was HD DVD (which was released really early and quick) then on dvd and blu ray.

Once you clean your laser and all is well and you upgrade to 1.5, can you set to 24fps and check Old School, The Warriors and Stardust and see if they still have the flickering/tearing issue. As far as I know the 1st two are on the potential list, but have never been verified and this is the first I have heard that there might be a problem with Stardust. Both my old school and Stardust are still sealed and I don't own the other.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Vinnie. Will you be updating the problem disc list to include regression on Sunshine and now Pirates 3. I think we have at least 2 confirmations on those (and 3 if you count both my players ;-)

Also, I have tried several web enabled discs that worked on 1.4 recently and none of them work anymore. Seems the only Internet feature that still works for me is checking the firmware, which is worthless on anything above 1.3. NTP is broke, works fine on 1.4 but not 1.5.

Also, I have not had time to check on 1.4, but there are a bunch of newer titles that Bonus View does not work on at all with this player and a couple other older Sammy players (2500/2550 for sure); 9, Public Enemies, Harry Potter 6, Twilight which I have verified and several others reported; Matrix flicks and a couple others that I don't have. Several of those just made their way into my player this evening and a couple I tried once or twice, but I rarely if ever mess with BV content.

I keep searching for any discs that any of the older Sammy players have problems with to test since I'm gun shy on this new release. I guess I should try all of them that I own just to be sure. If I tried a movie or 2 a day it would only take me a few months to get through them all. Anyone know if there is a master list of all BDs that have given any player grief? There seems to be some common thread. Other companies seem to detect and fix the problems much quicker than Sammy, however.

·
Banned
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #868
Done, but a time may be coming soon when I have to forgo updates and pass the torch onto someone more interested like yourself.
(you still haven't PM'd me your preferred email address, btw)

·
Registered
195 Posts
For now, I'm sticking with v1.3 in both of my players.

It has given me the least amount of problems out of all of them and I can certainly live with not being able to watch the BD version of Avatar.

The problems that Samsung has apparently introduced with v1.5 of the firmware is inexcusable. and should be rectified quickly, but I realize that unless a significant amount of customers speak out, it may never happen.

Actually, the need to have CONSTANT firmware updates for ANY BD player is inexcusable in my opinion. Relying on standards (BD-Live, Bonus View BD-Java, DRM, etc.) that allow so many of these types of issues to pop up is ludicrous.

I know that there are some manufacturers that do a better job with firmware updates but I'm growing tired of having to perform them every time I get some new disc that "supposedly" adheres to the wide-open, ever changing, BD standards.

I wouldn't be surprised if in writing new firmware to get Avatar to play, Samsung purposely sacrificed some code space just to make the new code fit in the existing memory space available. Maybe that's why NTP, Ethernet, and some previous functionality is now lost. Maybe it is impossible to put 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag. Maybe they had to remove some old crap before they could dump more new crap in.

Sounds harsh, I know, but it is the only sane rationale I can fathom that explains how they can screw functions up that previously worked fine.

This is maddening.

I am keeping these players until they die but I won't be buying anything with the Samsung name on it in the future.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbouch8828 /forum/post/18581429

With 1.5 I can't play standard DVD movie Tom Jones, MGM 1989.

I haven't anticipated ANY issues with DVD or HD-DVD (at least new ones). I have only tried a couple DVDs that were laying around. Now I have to check both old and new burned discs on a few different types of media and some real ones as well.

All the James Bond 007 movies are on MGM, so that might be bad?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 /forum/post/18580896

Done, but a time may be coming soon when I have to forgo updates and pass the torch onto someone more interested like yourself.
(you still haven't PM'd me your preferred email address, btw)

When you get sick of it, providing I don't give up and get an Oppo or other capable player, I can take over the reins. BTW - I did PM you the other day, perhaps it got lost?

·
Registered
129 Posts
If this has not been posted a new firmware update has been released that will enable playback of Avatar on this player. I do not know if this also fixes additional problem discs.

·
Registered
475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessej /forum/post/18583635

If this has not been posted a new firmware update has been released that will enable playback of Avatar on this player. I do not know if this also fixes additional problem discs.

Hilarious! Intentionally or not...

·
Registered
2,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessej /forum/post/18583635

You been sleeping under a rock the past couple weeks ;-) Read the thread before you post. (I've always wanted to flame someone for that since I got flamed a bunch over in some of the other forums I read. Real snobs in the Denon and H/K AVR forums)

Yup, as I used to say, "No **** Sherlock". Not only is there a new firmware, but it has a great side benefit. It breaks some of your old movies so you can sell them online to pay for your copy of Dances with Smurfs ;-) Oh, and it just might render several of your old DVDs unplayable and then you can sell all of them on that online auction place and recoup enough to pay for the extended release due out later.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytown rick /forum/post/18584165

Just happened to have a copy at hand. It plays with 1.5 on my machine.

Rick

Works fine on my JVC D-VHS deck. Oddly it won't play in my original iMac.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytown rick /forum/post/18584165

Just happened to have a copy at hand. It plays with 1.5 on my machine.

Rick

You know, I thought I was getting sucked into a joke. But there is actually a 1989 Tom Jones DVD called Live at this Moment. Is that the one that you are referring to or is it April fools all over again?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Oops my bad. I am actually from the LG BH200 camp so I generally don't read this thread. I deserved that and appreciate the sarcasm, some of the comments are great! It is good to see that both LG and Samsung have finally realized there are still owners of older players though.

861 - 880 of 1308 Posts