AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 14234 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero/One /forum/post/12494742

I just picked up one of these today and noticed it cannot do

BD-RE, BD-R. Am I overlooking something? I have a BD burner on my computer and need a player that will play these.

The only way to know for sure is to see if the player will actually play it. The manual also says it won't play DVD+R discs, but maybe it will. It you have any DVD+R I would like to know if it indeed will play in this machine. My Sony BDP-S1 will play BDMV created discs but not BDAV.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Here's another:

Can it output multichannel PCM via HDMI?

This is the way you're supposed to get digital audio out of a Blu-Ray or HD DVD player right? (Because of the internal mixing)

I'd expect MPCM via HDMI would NOT do any down-mixing, speaker distance, room EQ or bass management since the receiver should be able to do it on a digital signal.

I guess the 7.1 analog inputs are "down stream" of the DSP which handles this stuff for Dolby Digital, DTS, etc which is why everyone wants the player to do it.

·
Registered
286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawoman /forum/post/12494925

The only way to know for sure is to see if the player will actually play it. The manual also says it won't play DVD+R discs, but maybe it will. It you have any DVD+R I would like to know if it indeed will play in this machine. My Sony BDP-S1 will play BDMV created discs but not BDAV.

I just got the computer and I dont have any BD-RE or BD-Rs to confirm it. I was just making sure it it would or wouldnt before I st it up in my system. I also have a Panasonic 30 and at Tosh 35 sitting in my living room. We are under a winter storm warning so I guess I will have plenty of time to play around with all of them. I just need to get to the store and get some discs. Does Wal-mart carry BD-Re, -Rs?

·
Registered
196 Posts
More info:

the HDMI input is really low to the bottom of the chassis, and this is causing me problems on the rack shelf (Gruber two space) since it has a lip. I've had to shim the player up so to not stress the HDMI cable.

So, the System Information Screen says:

S/W:071108.02_1114_0924.11_XAA

Region: A/1 (BD/DVD)

Looks to me like a software build date of November 8th, 2007.

I've hit my first couple of snags:

1) I am set up for 6.1 (just a single center surround). The analog setup does not give an option for one or two center backs. Just two.

2) There are no crossover point settings for analog out. My system (JBL performance PT800s towers and PS1400 subs) needs cross over at 80. The manual says in crosses at 100, but my subs will be happy with that (ok up to 150 in normal use).

Stuff that seems to work so far:

-Picked up a DHCP address (checked my router, the networking settings don't seem to show what the IP leased is)

-Set to 24P, which changed even the setup menu to it. My BenQ W10000 sees it, which is good because it is going HDMI through two switches (first, a Zektor HDMI5, then into a Zektor MAS71). Eventually, this will go through only the Zektor MAS71, but I am using a different components HDMI cable for the moment. I'm really tired of buying things today.

More as I go.

·
Registered
196 Posts
For giggles, since I am sitting away from it for the moment, but using my laptop (use your imagination), I checked for the following network stuff:

ping - nope

http - nope

https - nope

ssh (port 22) - nope

telnet - nope

ftp - nope

·
Registered
196 Posts
Speaking of network stuff, I turned on the NTP (network time protocol) option and it picked up the time, which was a good confirmation of the connectivity.

Boot time from standby (red led) to a menu is about 40 seconds. It says "Load" on the display and the HDMI output is off / not usable.

I checked my network logs on this boot, and saw it hit NTP servers on boot.

Next, I hit System Update, and it says no need to update (latest firmware installed)

Checking my router logs, the request went to:

http://203.254.223.77

For rigour, the log really said protocol TCP and port www, which just means what I typed above.

Now, when I type that into my browser, I get a pop-up which has lots of unprintable characters (probably need to set my locale to Korea), and then when I hit ok, I got redirected to:

http://liveupdate.blurayplayer.samsung.com/login.jsp

Which is a page for the DVD Division Administrator System. Not sure what good this does, but hey, I'm just being, well, me...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Folks - easy on the questions. If you look at the top of the thread, I already started the question list.

I'll hit stuff as fast as I can, but I am going to take a break and go see I Am Legend at midnight (in a few hours) on the local Imax. I'll hit this again after.

I'm going to start bringing up discs now, and I'll start with the DTS-MA thing with Die Hard.

Give me a bit.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ok - Die Hard:

53 seconds (all seconds counted doing "1 onethousand, 2 onethousand, etc.") from door close to the FBI warning.

The Samsung loading screen was about 11 seconds, then from there was another loading screen, blank screens, etc.

I'm on the menu now.... wait for it....

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ok people... Given my trip to drop off the wife today at LAX, then to hit the Best Buy where I found this thing, it is quite fiting that, yes....

with DTS-MA, on Die Hard, I hear all channels going out the analog outputs, confirmed as John McClaine's plane lands at LAX.

DTS-MA, uh, maybe not. See the FAQ:

http://bd-up5000.wikidot.com

·
Registered
512 Posts
DTS-MA decoding at launch FTW!

I'll be at BB tomorrow trying to score one of these.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SileasResearch /forum/post/12495530

Ok people... Given my trip to drop off the wife today at LAX, then to hit the Best Buy where I found this thing, it is quite fiting that, yes....

with DTS-MA, on Die Hard, I hear all channels going out the analog outputs, confirmed as John McClaine's plane lands at LAX.

DTS-MA, check.

Wow, that is big news, very nice!

I'd like to know about stopping and restarting both bluray and hddvds. Does it restart from where you last pressed stop?

Thanks for all the great info

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Not to bombard you with additional requests, but any chance you could put in a TrueHD disc real quick just to see if it does more than 2 channels. Thanks for all the info you've provided us with so far. It is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Next up, The Fifth Element, for uncompressed and TrueHD checks.... Bruce is in the house tonight...

The Fifth Element default is TrueHD, but I'm checking uncompressed first. Funny, the "PG-13" screen is 1080p60, so everything switched over, then back to 24p.

Ok, uncompressed on the analog outputs (all 5,1 channels for this film)... check

Next, TrueHD....

bizzzzzt... Thanks for playing, but sorry folks, two channel only on the TrueHD analog audio outputs. The ugly rumors are true. This baby needs new firmware.

TrueHD on the analog outputs, more than 2 channels, - nope!

·
Registered
196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomb /forum/post/12495564

Wow, that is big news, very nice!

I'd like to know about stopping and restarting both bluray and hddvds. Does it restart from where you last pressed stop?

Thanks for all the great info

Bluray, stop, then play (no power off), yup - restarts right away.

Neato... Bluray, poweroff, then poweron, wait for microwave mac & cheese to cook, and it goes right back to where it was and keeps playing.... "Aziz! Light!"

·
Registered
221 Posts
have any movies with TrueHD? Awesome news about MA, just don't own any MA discs

damn i took too long to post lol

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Sileas are do you have an HDMI reciever in order to test these findings (DTS-MA & TrueHD) over HDMI - here's to hoping that it'll work via HDMI.

Oh, boy. I bet he wishes he had kept the news of his new toy to himself!!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SileasResearch /forum/post/12495569

Next, TrueHD....

bizzzzzt... Thanks for playing, but sorry folks, two channel only on the TrueHD analog audio outputs. The ugly rumors are true. This baby needs new firmware.

TrueHD on the analog outputs, more than 2 channels, - nope!

SONOFABITCH!!!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hmm, DTS-MA and no TrueHD multi. Interesting .. this really favors Blu-ray since there seem to be far more Blu-Ray titles with DTS-MA than HD-DVD. Also, ditto for uncompressed PCM.

Let's hope the TrueHD multi is firmware upgradable and not some sort of weird hardware limitation. Looking forward to a statement from Samsung. The reviewers will be merciless with this limitation, although, the DTS-MA helps somewhat...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ok, next up, some HD-DVD... 12Monkeys.. (told you, Bruce is in the house)

First, the good - insert to picture, around 40 seconds. this is faster than Bluray.

Uh,oh.... the universal logo that first hits the screen had serious motorboating and distortion issues. Samsung guys, we have a problem. Let's try that one again, shall we?

Mmm... this time it is clean... maybe this was a codec issue when switching from bluray to HD. I powered off and brought it back up. Clean this time. Later I will try to reproduce this, but I bet a power cycle will clear it every time.

uh-oh... just started the movie, and the Dolby Digital Plus track is motorboating and crackling. Somebody call Ray Dolby. We have a licensing violation here.

Chaptering forward and back and ff/rr eventually clears it. Will have to check with another disc to see if it is only this disc.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SileasResearch /forum/post/12495530

DTS-MA, check.

Out of curiosity, how do you know it's DTS-MA as opposed to DTS-HD? Isn't the core track extracted when DTS-MA is NOT supported? And how would one know over the analogs? Not trying to be a pain, I just don't know so I'm asking. Cheers.

On the plus side, if the player does have DTS-MA over the analogs, then TrueHD 5.1 can only be a firmware update away....

21 - 40 of 14234 Posts