AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 6957 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
I am not exactly sure what Youtube access means with respect to this player- one can do searches, etc, without a computer- would quality be the same?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
I went to Best Buy to pick this up today, only to find that this "networked" player requires a "wired" internet connection. I was under the impression that the only difference between this model and the upcoming 390 was the lack of 7.1 analog outputs on the 370. To find out that it's missing the wireless feature as well was a dealbreaker, I walked out of Best Buy disappointed and empty handed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emannikcufesin /forum/post/16051600


I went to Best Buy to pick this up today, only to find that this "networked" player requires a "wired" internet connection. I was under the impression that the only difference between this model and the upcoming 390 was the lack of 7.1 analog outputs on the 370. To find out that it's missing the wireless feature as well was a dealbreaker, I walked out of Best Buy disappointed and empty handed.

Sorry to hear it, but what was the price (range) listed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,339 Posts
There seems to be pictures on the web of these being spotted on the shelf at Best Buy. Anyone seen them yet. How is the picture quality?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,666 Posts
I picked mine up yesterday at Best Buy, I had to call to check stock. This player is still not listed on their web site as of right now. The best buy SKU # is 9244908. When you call your Best Buy this will save you 10 minutes of waiting on hold while they try to figure out what you are talking about. They can also check all other local stores for stock using this number.


Well I played with it for 4 hours last night, very impressive machine. My only concern is it buzzes an awful lot even when there is no disc in the machine. Sounds just like the hard drive in my DVR but this Blu-ray player has no hard drive! I am very bothered by these noises and unless someone who owned a BD300 can tell me this is normal I will probably seek an exchange today, good luck! There is probably no stock available to do so, we'll see! These noises are a constant buzzing, ticking, and sizzling type of noises. They are hard to describe but it just doesn't seem right, the player operates flawlessly otherwise. I want to note that they seem to reduce or go away when a Blu-ray is playing but not when streaming content (Netflix or Youtube) is.


Anyway on to my impressions of the player. The Netflix functionality works perfectly. I was really surprised at the quality of one of my streaming movies which was available in HD ( I think it was called Flawless). It was no Blu-ray but I thought it looked great, certainly many orders of magnitude better than the other non HD movies I streamed from Netflix. The standard definition streaming movies were hit and miss, some were better than I expected, others were exactly as I expected. One glaring omission is that you cannot tell if a movie is streaming in HD until you select it and start playback. This is probably more of a Netflix complaint than an LG, c'mon Netflix label the watch instantly with a simple "HD symbol" on your site so we know if we want to add them to our instant queue.


The Youtube functionality is another nice surprise. Video quality on my 120" screen was far better than I was prepared for. That's not to say it's good, but I expected it to be abysmal. Depending on the clip it ranged from acceptable to good.


The zoom function works great. I detected only minor image degradation when zoomed. It was satisfying to see the movie fill my entire screen, but it was bittersweet because I knew I was truly seeing less picture, not more.


Image quality on Blu-ray is just stellar. At least as good as my PS3. I did not try an SD DVD as I don't plan on watching any in this HT.


So the player is definitely awesome, however it turns out the only improvements for me over my PS3 are Netflix streaming, zoom, and Youtube. Is that worth replacing the PS3 with the BD370? I'm not sure. Add the sizling noises to that and I am left quite torn. This is clearly a fantastic machine, but I sit here staring at the PS3 and the BD370 and the winner is not clear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprego /forum/post/16060510


I picked mine up yesterday at Best Buy, I had to call to check stock. This player is still not listed on their web site as of right now. The best buy SKU # is 9244908. When you call your Best Buy this will save you 10 minutes of waiting on hold while they try to figure out what you are talking about. They can also check all other local stores for stock using this number.


Well I played with it for 4 hours last night, very impressive machine. My only concern is it buzzes an awful lot even when there is no disc in the machine. Sounds just like the hard drive in my DVR but this Blu-ray player has no hard drive! I am very bothered by these noises and unless someone who owned a BD300 can tell me this is normal I will probably seek an exchange today, good luck! There is probably no stock available to do so, we'll see! These noises are a constant buzzing, ticking, and sizzling type of noises. They are hard to describe but it just doesn't seem right, the player operates flawlessly otherwise. I want to note that they seem to reduce or go away when a Blu-ray is playing but not when streaming content (Netflix or Youtube) is.


Anyway on to my impressions of the player. The Netflix functionality works perfectly. I was really surprised at the quality of one of my streaming movies which was available in HD ( I think it was called Flawless). It was no Blu-ray but I thought it looked great, certainly many orders of magnitude better than the other non HD movies I streamed from Netflix. The standard definition streaming movies were hit and miss, some were better than I expected, others were exactly as I expected. One glaring omission is that you cannot tell if a movie is streaming in HD until you select it and start playback. This is probably more of a Netflix complaint than an LG, c'mon Netflix label the watch instantly with a simple "HD symbol" on your site so we know if we want to add them to our instant queue.


The Youtube functionality is another nice surprise. Video quality on my 120" screen was far better than I was prepared for. That's not to say it's good, but I expected it to be abysmal. Depending on the clip it ranged from acceptable to good.


The zoom function works great. I detected only minor image degradation when zoomed. It was satisfying to see the movie fill my entire screen, but it was bittersweet because I knew I was truly seeing less picture, not more.


Image quality on Blu-ray is just stellar. At least as good as my PS3. I did not try an SD DVD as I don't plan on watching any in this HT.


So the player is definitely awesome, however it turns out the only improvements for me over my PS3 are Netflix streaming, zoom, and Youtube. Is that worth replacing the PS3 with the BD370? I'm not sure. Add the sizling noises to that and I am left quite torn. This is clearly a fantastic machine, but I sit here staring at the PS3 and the BD370 and the winner is not clear.

great post Docprego, keep us posted on your noises. 299 not a bad price
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,666 Posts
Exchanged it, just left Best Buy with a new unit. I'll let you know how it went later tonight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprego /forum/post/16065116


Exchanged it, just left Best Buy with a new unit. I'll let you know how it went later tonight.


If you could also compare the loading times to the PS3, that would be great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,888 Posts
Just got mine. Anyone try Divx files yet? I had some on a USB drive and it didn't recognize them



Doing firmware update now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD /forum/post/16066609


And where is CinemaNow that was promised? Odd...

I can't find Cinemanow either, anyone know the trick? Is this going to arrive with a firmware update?


Brief report on my new exchanged BD370: I can't say the new one is 100% noise free but it is dramatically better than the first one. Now that I have had a chance to watch the same movie on the PS3 and then the BD370 I feel confident in saying that Blu-ray looks better on the BD370. There is a sharpness to the BD370 Blu-ray images that I found the PS3 could not match.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Hi everyone,

can anybody confirm (or not) this player can read files (DIVX, MKV, AVCHD, etc.) from external Hard-Disk drives (with or without power supply), USB connected? A forumer (german forum) claims he successfully connected a 20 GB external hard drive (2,5" I guess)...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,888 Posts
Just for my BD370. So far so good. The remote has a faux leather feel to it and it opens/closes like the A1/XA1/XA2 Toshiba Remote. I'm in love


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by masdigvid /forum/post/16068344


Hi everyone,

can anybody confirm (or not) this player can read files (DIVX, MKV, AVCHD, etc.) from external Hard-Disk drives (with or without power supply), USB connected? A forumer (german forum) claims he successfully connected a 20 GB external hard drive (2,5" I guess)...

Won't play my .avi, Divx or MKV files.
 
1 - 20 of 6957 Posts
Top