AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with 2 different s-video feeds (from a dreamcast and a DVD player) I get horizontal black line(s) just above center. It appears on all CRTs on my BD800 and it goes from bad to worse in order of B-G-R with Blue and Green being faint and Red being very thick and pronounced (2 lines with a possibly faint/thin third line). They flicker and do not show on CRT face with unit off and optics removed, so I know it is not burn in.

With all memory blocks deleted and everything set to mid-position in service menu, they are still there. Would the pots/electronic adjustments being improperly set cause this or maybe a bad card? I have struggled to get this converged, with the hope that convergence is the cause, but now I think convergence problems are the symptom and this is the disease as everything north of this line is very hard to align while below the line it is almost perfect with just raster centering. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I notice upon closer inspection with internal pattern during installation mode that the black lines flicker up and down along with thinner lines up near the top. When they flicker, the grid does not move and the place where the line was last has red grid pattern showing. This is good news I believe as I think it means my CRT is not burned.

Now to just figure out what causes it! I have played with the 3 neck rings (raster centering magnets? 2 have knobs on them that rotate) and the lines are unaffected. Should I try to swap drive boards around to see if problem follows or should I look elsewhere?

I will post pics to help point out what I am touching.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have swaped my R & G boards that sit over the CRTs and have the G2 adjustment pots on them and this did not help. I also pulled my convergence board. I notice this board to has been soldered in the past. Reseat made no difference either. In fact reseat of all cards has made no difference. I keep saying I give up, but as long as the beast sits in my basement, I keep being drawn back to it.

I have pics of all the guts, but am unable to post for some reason (my lucky day). My pics are set to forun requested size, but still rejected.

Curt/Tim/reseller guys, what board do I need to buy to get rid of these horizontal lines and at what price?

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Try using the video or RGB inputs and let me know if the problem is still there.

Curt

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hate to sound like a duffus, but what if I have no devices that can connect to the other inputs? The VGA looking port 3 is wrong pin number for my laptop and everything else I have is either composite or s-video. So I need to get a VGA-component adapter I guess or a VGA 14 pin to 8 pin adapter of some kind?

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
So use the composite non S-video input.

Note that I have also seen ground loops in your A/V system cause this problem. Disconnect everything but the DVD player and the projector and see if the lines are still there.

Curt

·
Registered
294 Posts
BGPGuy,

I know this sounds simplistic but have you tried adjusting vertical and horizontal center bow and side bow adjustments along with keystone? I have a similar single thin black line that appears until I fiddle with these adjustments until it disappears. I try to keep the adjustments within the 30-70% range of course. Display a light colored image when adjusting so the line can easily be seen.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Curt,

I will hunt down BNC connectors. I only have s-video, RCA, and standard CATV coax.

ESantos,

I tried converging many times with the settings you suggested under a seperate thread. I will try again and let you know.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, and 3 prong heavy extension cord is being used with only DC/DVD and BD800. I can try swapping that also.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BD800 does not have composite RCA.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I see the confusion now. When I said "The VGA looking port 3 is wrong pin number for my laptop and everything else I have is either composite or s-video. " I meant to say the BD800 RGB ttl port 3 only supports CGA/EGA and the remaining ports are BNC type. I only have s-video and composite video devices and cables. I am still looking for a way to connect via BNC. :(

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So convergence attempt on bow and keystone adjustments did not seem to help and my power cable has had any secondary devices removed with no improvement.

Curt,

Is the presence of the horizontal line with internal test pattern while NO video connections are made indicative of anything?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Jason,

You can get the BNC to RCA converters very cheap at either Radio Shake or Best Buy. Do it now because you need them sooner or later, everyones projectors have BNC.

Curt,

I went over to Jasons house to try to help him best I could and IMHO he has a broke projector with beautiful CRTs. His worst problem is that his dynamic convergence does not respond like my identical BD800, but his green geometry seems OK.

Jason was wanting to swap the convergence card with my working unit but we can't get to it because I built my projector into the ceiling. Its covered up.

I was hoping you work with him and sell him the right part that he needs. I was hoping its good business for you and worth your time. Neither Jason or I are experts but I really feel this projector is worth an effort. I am just a friend of Jason trying to help him out.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll go for the RS adapter first (cheap). :) Will buy one today. I am still concerned this is a goose hunt given that the problem exists with internal test pattern with NO video inputs attached.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Curt,

Is a 1208 convergence card the same as a BD808? Bob has a 1208 that is more accessible. We can swap the convergence board temporarily to see if that is the problem, but of course they need to be interchangeable.

Bob, let's compare serial numbers, etc, via email.

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I got back from RS and placed the BNC-RCA converters on the composite input#1 and still see the horizontal line. I will get the convergence card schematic and attempt to go through it with a multimeter. My wife is actually the electronics expert, but she seems to find more common household chores to be higher on her priority scale. :( I will give this a go....

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ESantos
BGPGuy,

I know this sounds simplistic but have you tried adjusting vertical and horizontal center bow and side bow adjustments along with keystone? I have a similar single thin black line that appears until I fiddle with these adjustments until it disappears. I try to keep the adjustments within the 30-70% range of course. Display a light colored image when adjusting so the line can easily be seen.
Jason,

This is a well known Barco problem - if you push one of the electronic values too hard, you get a horiz. line more or less in the middle of the screen. I can't remember what the adjustment is though... bow? keystone?

Kal

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for your reply. I have since sold this pj to Bob for parts machine to backup his BD800. I had all my settings in mid-position (see my initial post/query above), so I am sure this wasn't it. I had an opportunity to get a convergence card right when Bob agreed to take it off my hands. I took the bird in hand and gave up on my quest to correct this problem. I now have new problems unrelated to this pj! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.