AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
22,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1st: the power cord has to go. Not because it's flimsy, but because it's too damn short!!!! I had to dig up a longer cord right off the bat. 6' should be a minimum requirement on all hardware.

2nd: The front display is too dim. The brightest setting looks like dim and the dim setting is nearly invisible.

3rd: This appears to be the same loader as the BDP-83, but this one is a lot smoother and quieter than my 3 83s were with any of the different FW.

4th: I see there is no DVD 24p setting. This I presume is because the MTK chip does not support that. This is a positive thing.

Does anyone yet know if, like the 980, this unit will use the speaker setup settings to control any HDMI PCM output, and not just the analog outs?

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/16967697

1st: the power cord has to go. Not because it's flimsy, but because it's too damn short!!!! I had to dig up a longer cord right off the bat. 6' should be a minimum requirement on all hardware.

Its worst when you buy a computer monitor with a AC jack and you have a short cord!

Isn't this the same length as previous cables?

Quote:

2nd: The front display is too dim. The brightest setting looks like dim and the dim setting is nearly invisible.

That's adjustable via software. In my room it appeared OK when dim. Well at least the displays will last a bit longer.

Quote:

3rd: This appears to be the same loader as the BDP-83, but this one is a lot smoother and quieter than my 3 83s were with any of the different FW.

I thought this might be a different loader because of the tray action. Also when playing the first BD it was a bit noisier, has quieted down now.

Quote:

4th: I see there is no DVD 24p setting. This I presume is because the MTK chip does not support that. This is a positive thing.

For you maybe (DVD 24P), yes that is a ABT feature.

Overall I like the design of the BDP-80, compared to other brands. However the three icon's on the tray doesn't bother me at all.

·
Registered
22,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I played an SACD with stereo and M-ch DSD streams and the player was able to swap streams without re-starting the track. Nice!

I do note that the levels from the player (set to PCM) are considerably different than the levels from the -83 with the same setting. Much lower levels.

·
Registered
17,126 Posts
The first that went in the player was the AIX sampler/test disc that I played with for while, then it sat undisturbed (remaining ON) for a couple of hours.

The I ejected the AIX disc and put in the Riding With The King DVDA and sampled some tracks. All good so far.

I then put in my Take 6 DVDA to sample it too. The player went to the HOME MENU as it should NOT be doing... apparently seeing the disc as a data disc. This is a problem that's persisting with the BDP-83, and has seemed to also carry over to the BDP-80 now.

EDIT: A couple discs later, it just did it again...

·
Registered
17,126 Posts
The problem with the beginning of the tracks audio being truncated by different amounts on the Take 6 DVDA has also appeared on the BDP-80, as it was on the BDP-83. This should be an easy fix, as it's virtually been solved on the BDP-83. Just do the same fix on the BDP-80.

·
Registered
17,126 Posts
There seems to be new ZOOM features!

2x, 3x, and 4x modes will allow you to shift the picture up, down, left and right within the original frame of aspect.

There is NO virtical stretch zoom option.

I'd still like to see some zoom features catering to Constant Image Height users.

Maybe OPPO is eliminating that compatibility with the -80 model, compared to the -83.

·
Registered
17,126 Posts
After an extended session of listening, watching, sampling... the BDP-980 seems VERY SOLID. It is basically mimicing the BDP-83, only without the ABT solution.

I have been useing HDMI with the player doing all the decoding and res set to 720p.

PQ for dvd is obviously not as good as with the BDP-83, but acceptable... in line with the DV-980H (obviously).

Did I say this may be ready for holiday season?... I think it's ready now.

Just get those labels off the tray, and get this puppy into production.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants /forum/post/16968191

After an extended session of listening, watching, sampling... the BDP-980 seems VERY SOLID. It is basically mimicing the BDP-83, only without the ABT solution.

I have been useing HDMI with the player doing all the decoding and res set to 720p.

PQ for dvd is obviously not as good as with the BDP-83, but acceptable... in line with the DV-980H (obviously).

Did I say this may be ready for holiday season?... I think it's ready now.

Just get those labels off the tray, and get this puppy into production.

Those three labels symbolize that the player is universal. The BDP-83 has them too, only in different spots on the front. The hardware design is probably locked, as you said this looks good enough to use. But in reality there are things to perfect like the FW.

·
Registered
17,126 Posts
Dang. You type it enough times, you're bound to do that somtime. Too many. 9s, 8s, 3s and 0s.

I wouldn't exactly call those symbols part of the hardware design. They're just silkscreens, and could be easily changed. I've definitely said more than my peace about it already though. Just wanted to emphasize my opinion on day one, before it may be too late.

What things are there to perfect in the fw that you are aware of?

By my experience thus far, the performance outside of the ABT solution is identical to the BDP-83.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants /forum/post/16968318

Dang. You type it enough times, you're bound to do that somtime. Too many. 9s, 8s, 3s and 0s.

I wouldn't exactly call those symbols part of the hardware design. They're just silkscreens, and could be easily changed. I've definitely said more than my peace about it already though. Just wanted to emphasize my opinion on day one, before it may be too late.

What things are there to perfect in the fw that you are aware of?

By my experience thus far, the performance outside of the ABT solution is identical to the BDP-83.

Dim setting is too dim. It like you go from very bright to very dim to OFF.

Zoom goes 1.0 x2, x3, x4 then ½, ⅓, ¼ then back 1.0. Seem very limited.

The DV-980 did 1.0 (No zooming), 1.2 ,1.3, 1.5, x2, x2.5

,x3, x3.5, x4, ½, ⅓, ¼, back to 1.0 again.

Was wondering if the x 5 FF was linear, seems to take a large step every so many steps.

I didn't find any obvious setup interface issues yet.

Sharpness only goes from 0 to +2, doesn't seem to do anything with SD-DVD I was watching.

·
Registered
22,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This thing gets hot, very hot. When I saw there was no fan I deliberately placed it on top of my Dish DVR, which is always warm. (It's actually hotter under the DVR). After a couple discs the top of the player was very hot. Discs came out of the drive only somewhat warmish. But I'd be pretty careful about putting the player under anything.

·
Registered
17,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/16968476

This thing gets hot, very hot. When I saw there was no fan I deliberately placed it on top of my Dish DVR, which is always warm. (It's actually hotter under the DVR). After a couple discs the top of the player was very hot. Discs came out of the drive only somewhat warmish. But I'd be pretty careful about putting the player under anything.

Mine's on the very top in the open. Warm... not even very warm, but that's subjective. It's certainly not hot though.

Again, mine is sitting on top of the BDP-83, with nothing around or above it.

It's been on for like 6 hours.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/16968476

I only have it under a Denon turntable, so no heat source near it. Will have to see how it does after long periods of operation. Not really more then just barely warm that I have noticed.

·
Registered
17,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV /forum/post/16968474

Dim setting is too dim. It like you go from very bright to very dim to OFF.

Zoom goes 1.0 x2, x3, x4 then ½, ⅓, ¼ then back 1.0. Seem very limited.

The DV-980 did 1.0 (No zooming), 1.2 ,1.3, 1.5, x2, x2.5

,x3, x3.5, x4, ½, ⅓, ¼, back to 1.0 again.

Was wondering if the x 5 FF was linear, seems to take a large step every so many steps.

I didn't find any obvious setup interface issues yet.

Sharpness only goes from 0 to +2, doesn't seem to do anything with SD-DVD I was watching.

On one hand, I would think OPPO may add more zoom functions. On the other hand they may be purposefully simplifying the player for it's price_point, while at the same time raising the quality/feature_set of the BDP-83.

I think the DIM setting is too dim also, but some people do like it that dim. Would be nice if both settings stayed, and a 3rd one was created to go in between.

I tried the sharpness on an sd video, and it did make a difference, but this is on a 9'wide screen. Only 2 notches does seem very limited though.

EDIT: Just to add, in response to my opinion of almost being a finished product...

All the things you mentioned are things you want changed, but they are not things that are inhibiting the functionality of the player.

·
Registered
22,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Played one DVD, a cheap indie movie. It has a fair bit of aliasing but over-all the PQ was quite good. I'd put it in the same class as the 980. You don't appreciate the ABT noise reduction till it's gone.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants /forum/post/16968515

EDIT: Just to add, in response to my opinion of almost being a finished product...

All the things you mentioned are things you want changed, but they are not things that are inhibiting the functionality of the player.

No not inhibiting the basic functionality of a Blu-ray player, but then we are Oppo users and are used to being spoiled.

I believe the Zoom is work in progress. The moving position function in x2.0, x3.0, x4.0 mode is interesting. Would like to see the same popup menu's that are implemented in the BDP-83 code. (audio, subtitles)

·
Registered
22,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For analog output on SACD, looks like the setup has to be for PCM. No output when set to DSD.

I'm using the L-R outputs with downmix set to stereo. I don't think anyone will confuse these analog outs with the dedicated stereo out on the -83, AQ-wise. Comparatively flat sounding and lacking in HF detail, prolly more or less equal to what the 980 offers.

·
Registered
22,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I confirmed that the 80 has the same DTS-HD Essential limitations as the 83. No internal decoding of ES core either matrix or discrete, and same for the DTS-MA ES found on Pixar titles.

Plays DTS-CD just fine, no chipmunks.

1 - 20 of 196 Posts