AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
17,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Beta Test Participants,

We are posting the first beta firmware upgrade for the BDP-80 today. The firmware can be downloaded from http://www.8digital.com/b80/BDP80-04-0807.zip You will be asked for a user name and password. Please use oppo as the user name and bdp80 as the password.

Network update is not available for this firmware yet. We are in the process of setting up network update servers.

Once all updates are installed, your firmware versions should be:

Main Version: BDP80-04-0807
Loader Version: BT0300 85750300
Sub Version: MCU80-04-0519

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

If you download the zip file and use a USB thumb drive to install, please follow these steps to install the firmware:

1. Download the firmware from the above link.
  2. Insert a USB thumb drive to the computer that stores the downloaded zip file, and unzip the firmware file to the USB drive. Verify that the USB drive now contains a UPG folder, and inside the UPG folder there are two files BDP-80.bin and DVD430.BIN.
  3. Remove the USB drive from the computer.
  4. Turn on your TV display and the OPPO player. Make sure that there is no disc in the player and no other USB device is connected to the player.
  5. Insert the USB drive containing the firmware file to a USB port on the player's front or back panel.
  6. The player usually can recognize the firmware file and prompt you for firmware upgrade. In case the player does not prompt you, press the SETUP button on the remote control to enter the setup menu. Select Device Setup, Firmware Upgrade, and then Via USB.
  7. Please follow the on-screen instructions to complete the firmware upgrade process. Use the remote control to respond to on-screen prompts. Do not use the front panel buttons because the front panel buttons will stop working during the upgrade process.
  8. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TURN OFF THE PLAYER, UNPLUG THE POWER, OR PRESS ANY BUTTONS OTHER THAN NECESSARY TO RESPOND TO THE ON-SCREEN PROMPT DURING THE REMAINING UPGRADE PROCESS.
  9. In order to complete the firmware upgrade process, the player will turn off automatically.
  10. Repeat from step 4 and upgrade the player again. This time the player will install both the main firmware and the new loader firmware.
  11. Unplug the USB drive after the player turns itself off. Turn on the player again after the firmware upgrade process is completed. Check the new firmware version by going to the setup menu, and then selecting Device Setup - Firmware Information. If you notice that the firmware versions displayed do not match the versions listed in this release note, please retry the firmware upgrade procedure from step 4 to ensure all parts of the firmware package are installed.
  12. From the setup menu, select Device Setup, Reset Factory Default, and then choose OK to reset the player settings. Enter your customized settings as necessary after resetting.
  13. Congratulations! You have just completed the firmware upgrade. Delete the UPG folder and its content from the USB drive so you do not accidentally install the firmware again.

Your feedback is highly appreciated. Thank you very much for the help in this beta test process.

Best regards,

Jason J. Liao

CTO & VP of Product Development

OPPO Digital, Inc

2629 Terminal Blvd. Suite BMountain View, CA94043Tel: 650-810-1619

Fax: 650-961-1119
www.oppodigital.com

·
Registered
22,385 Posts
Small bug. The first time through the player did not see the loader file. Second time through it saw and updated both files. Maybe this was intended?

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
I need to dig up a USB stick, everything's still packed up in boxes.

USB needs to be formatted as FAT32 before I load firmware, correct?

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S /forum/post/16984364

I need to dig up a USB stick, everything's still packed up in boxes.

USB needs to be formatted as FAT32 before I load firmware, correct?

Yes, can read FAT16/FAT32 not other formats.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/16984187

Small bug. The first time through the player did not see the loader file. Second time through it saw and updated both files. Maybe this was intended?

That was in the instructions. He said you need to run through it twice.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Installed without issue and resetted to defaults. Using Auto/24p, and advanced audio settings. I did notice there is no option for 24p DVD playback. Syriana BD loaded up with BDP-83 like speed. Watching it now.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
This link (from Jason's email) isn't working for me. No download.

I've written him.

Dana

·
Registered
331 Posts
Use RGB Video Level and see how it works. The YCbCr modes are still not passing BTB and WTW.

·
Registered
331 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPPO User /forum/post/16984900

drbonbi,

Can you try www.8digital.com/b80/index.html ?

Jason,

This link takes me to another page where the login appears - and works with my original browser (Seamonkey - a Mozilla browser)!

Now I'm cookin'.

Dana

·
Registered
22,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPPO User /forum/post/16984895

Use RGB Video Level and see how it works. The YCbCr modes are still not passing BTB and WTW.

Confirmed. RGB-Video is the only one that's showing correct greyscale. Weird though, I thought Video was not supposed to show BTB/WTW? Anyway, it works but it still doesn't look quite like it does on the -83.

And what is "RGB-Limited" supposed to be?

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
And I did manage to update the firmware!

Dana

·
Registered
331 Posts
RGB Limited just clips Blacker-than-black to black (16) and Whiter-than-white to white (235). I don't know if it has any value to users. Perhaps we should remove it just to make the setup simpler?

For the beta test, I think if you can watch/listen to entire disc with as many disc types as possible, that will be very helpful. Some issues like audo drop-out and a/v sync need more time to uncover. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Well I finished Syriana without problems. Weird confusing movie... There appeared at first to be some issues with the screen becoming darker and then lighter during scenes, but it does it with other players including PS3. Must be the movie.

Was going to further clarify and ask if it's more helpful to watch newer releases as opposed to older releases? But I suppose it's all helpful...

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
After updated the firmware, I watched Frost/Nixon BD with no issues. This is a Universal title, and the BDP-80 loaded and navigated the menus quickly. Movie and a few extras played through fine with no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/16985049

Confirmed. RGB-Video is the only one that's showing correct greyscale. Weird though, I thought Video was not supposed to show BTB/WTW? Anyway, it works but it still doesn't look quite like it does on the -83.

And what is "RGB-Limited" supposed to be?

Is there an issue with grayscale, or BTB/WTW? My display's grayscale is calibrated via a Chroma5 meter via the BDP-83. It's a bit of a chore to set up the meter etc., but if there is something wrong related to grayscale, I will investigate this weekend.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S /forum/post/16985535

It's a bit of a chore to set up the meter etc., but if there is something wrong related to grayscale, I will investigate this weekend.

No need... Its been reported and acknowledged already.

Gary

1 - 20 of 118 Posts