AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It came to my attention the in past few weeks that more and more BD's start surfacing without a plain old english dolby digital track. I still have a receiver with just DTS and dolby digital and I enjoy it very much. I think it's another nasty move from the studio's pushing the consumers to buy new expensive material (just like they did with 24Hz). I wish the studio would stop playing these games with consumers and respect that there are people who don't fall for these bigger is better tickets. I don't think it's worth buying into that yet, I'dd rather spent money on decent new material first.

The Water horse is only one example for the many dics without english dolby digital tracks surfacing. There is more then enough disc space to have lossless track + a dozen dolby digital tracks.

·
Registered
894 Posts
There are no BDs without a standard "lossy" audio track, per se. TrueHD and DTS-HD MA are both backwards compatible with SPDIF output, but you'll only experience a DD equivalent with a TrueHD track, although you'd get a boost over the SD DVD counterpart with DTS-HD MA, since the "core" track that you're actually hearing (when used over toslink or coax) is a 1.5mbps track vs. the likely 768kbps you'd hear on a DVD. Most of the titles that feature only TrueHD will simply default to a hidden DD track encoded on the disc. This was the same with Resident Evil: Extinction (hey, another SPHE title!), which is probably what happens on The Water Horse.

In short: don't fret. You'll be fine for a long time to come!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, must say I didn't test Water Horse yet. I choose Zodiac for rental instead because I saw no mention of english dolby digital on the back side on Water Horse, only in other languages. And I see that more and more BD's don't mention english DD tracks on the covers or in reviews.

I already knew about the dts cores. I ment BD's with TrueHD track only. So you're saying that all BD's have an English DD track even when it isn't listed on the cover?

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick ass sub /forum/post/14156123

. So you're saying that all BD's have an English DD track even when it isn't listed on the cover?

Yes, that is true. DTS or DD core soundtracks are on each BR title.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigionlsd /forum/post/14155662

There are no BDs without a standard "lossy" audio track, per se....

Actually BD's (just like DVD's) can have a lossless LPCM track with no lossy track.
Elton John - 60th Anniversary is an example of a LPCM only BD. TrueHD and DTS-MA are both optional audio formats on BD so a mandatory audio track (LPCM, DD or DTS) must be included also. Many BD's audio menu's will only have DTS-MA or TrueHD as a selection. In this case DTS-MA contains a legacy DTS core and TrueHD doesn't have a legacy core but will have a hidden legacy DD track that will be selected automatically if you don't have TrueHD support.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster /forum/post/14156178

Yes, that is true. DTS or DD core soundtracks are on each BR title.

But apparently there are some BDs whose only multi-channel track is LPCM. This practice appears to be currently limited to concert discs, but it demonstrates that such a disc can find its way to market.

So it's true that you'll always get some kind of sound from a BD on legacy equipment. But it will not necessarily be simply the lossy version of the primary MCH soundtrack that you might expect.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I do hope to buy a HDMI receiver much like the Onkyo 805 by the beginning of 2010. So I hope up to then BD's without a lossy core will remain only to concert discs. First I like to buy a better subwoofer, something I think will make a MUCH more difference then upgrading to lossless audio.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick ass sub /forum/post/14156585

Well I do hope to buy a HDMI receiver much like the Onkyo 805 by the beginning of 2010.

Two and a half years until an HDMI receiver? If you have a player like the PS3 or Panny BD30/BD50 that decodes all codecs in the player, there are HDMI receivers for under $200 already. If you can only bitstream, fully-featured (i.e. decodes all codecs) receivers can be had for under $500.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
my gripe is i'm stuck with a HTIB with no DTS support (unless i use the built in DVD player then i can use DTS but over optical i'm limited to DD or 2 channel PCM)

so fox and newline releases annoy me with their lack of DD5.1 and i have to resort to the DTS-HD downmixed to 2 channel PCM (PS3 has the spare processing power needed to encode to DD5.1 but no such feature will likely ever happen)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlacklow /forum/post/14157216

Two and a half years until an HDMI receiver? If you have a player like the PS3 or Panny BD30/BD50 that decodes all codecs in the player, there are HDMI receivers for under $200 already. If you can only bitstream, fully-featured (i.e. decodes all codecs) receivers can be had for under $500.

I know. But I want a receiver with decent power. I have the SVS SBS-01 speakers and hoping to upgrade to M&K speakers in a few years. But First I need a full HD projector and a new subwoofer, wich will be a much more effective upgrade then buying a new receiver or speakers

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
The only one I know of with no lossy multichannel track is the Elton John concert, which just has 5.1 and stereo PCM tracks.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
There was at least one other one... Celine Dion? Mariah Carey? Somebody like that. There's an ancient thread here about it, but I'm to lazy to look for it.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts

Quote:
...If you have a player like the PS3 or Panny BD30/BD50 that decodes all codecs in the player, there are HDMI receivers for under $200 already. If you can only bitstream, fully-featured (i.e. decodes all codecs) receivers can be had for under $500.

Which, as I understand it, does no good unless you also have an HDMI display. Even the upcoming Poineer Elite BR player disables audio output over HDMI if the components are being used for video.....

·
Registered
90 Posts
I rented the new Planet of the Apes movie from Redbox and it had no Dolby Digital in English, just French and Spanish. The English track was DTS. Is this typical of Blu-Ray? If not what is a good source for finding out if a title has Dolby Digital in English? Thanks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Since the DTS formats are among the mandatory formats for Blu-ray Disc, titles that contain DTS-HD often don't contain the same soundtrack in Dolby Digital, but use it only for the dubs.

On top of that, DTS-HD has gained a lot of popularity with studios over Dolby TrueHD. Newer titles from Disney, Fox, Sony, Universal, Warner and so on use DTS-HD MA. Paramount seems to be the only major studio to have stuck with Dolby TrueHD from what I know, which means they have a Dolby Digital version of the main soundtrack.

BD is a bit harsh on older equipment and pretty much demands you have a receiver with support for at least legacy DTS if you want discrete 5.1 sound.

·
Registered
12,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Dude /forum/post/21639659

I rented the new Planet of the Apes movie from Redbox and it had no Dolby Digital in English, just French and Spanish. The English track was DTS. Is this typical of Blu-Ray? If not what is a good source for finding out if a title has Dolby Digital in English?

Are you using a vintage AVR that has no DTS decoder?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
There are open source decoders available for TrueHD but not DTS-HD: consequently the studios have gone predominantly to DTS-HD to make it more difficult for their titles to be "pirated" and played in full quality, plus to maintain the decoding royalty system, IMO.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD /forum/post/21642383

There are open source decoders available for TrueHD but not DTS-HD: consequently the studios have gone predominantly to DTS-HD to make it more difficult for their titles to be "pirated" and played in full quality, plus to maintain the decoding royalty system, IMO.

Is that why DTS is so popular with studios now?? I thought most pirates just use the core dts?

·
Registered
12,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin /forum/post/21642506

Is that why DTS is so popular with studios now??

Nope.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
I heard something about it being faster to encode using DTS master than True HD. I think all discs should have a lossy back up track be it DTS or DD as I have experienced drop outs from both lossless formats and it is very frustrating when there is no alternate track to go to.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts