AVS Forum banner

561 - 580 of 887 Posts

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #562 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyk36  /t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptu...fan23-launch-another-avs-ht/540#post_23594853

Theater looks great! Another fantastic Build!

How are the speaker stands built?

MDF boxes glued and nailed. Tossed a bag of sand intact in the bottom and filled the rest of the space with insulation. The result was an 80 lb. box.

·
Registered
670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptu...sfan23-launch-another-avs-ht/30#post_23145276

NYGF23 and I are keeping the budget in mind on this project and for the built in equipment rack are considering this "value". While the mid-atlantic slim 5 series with custom face plates is pretty slick (Staggered wall panel theater) it is going to run 2-3x this unit. Any other suggestions for a $500 rack complete are welcome

it is a 77 inch tall rack that I can pick up locally from an importer (HTdepot.com)

We will probably have to leave the back door off, we'll see.

Does anyone have a model number for the rack? I do not see this one on the HTDepot.com site. I see a $649 assembled one

·
Registered
523 Posts
OK - Big - gotta ask about screws again
for the 3/4" MDF. I am predrilling the holes when joining two pieces of MDF at a right angle and using 3" course drywall screws but when I put the screw into the end piece it cracks.

Just want to make sure to get the stands correct so they can hold the weight of the sand.

Can you go into more detail about the speaker stands?

Thanks!

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #568 ·
Sorry there was a typo, I corrected it earlier today but you probably already started on your project. I just shot 2 inch 18 gauge finish nails in to hold it together until the glue dried.

I have used screws in the past for MDF but nothing longer than 1 5/8

·
Registered
918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGIANTSFAN23  /t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptu...fan23-launch-another-avs-ht/570#post_23595954

Hopefully this Saturday

Sweet!!! looking forward to seeing it all done

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyk36  /t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptu...fan23-launch-another-avs-ht/540#post_23595620

for the 3/4" MDF. I am predrilling the holes when joining two pieces of MDF at a right angle and using 3" course drywall screws but when I put the screw into the end piece it cracks.

Just want to make sure to get the stands correct so they can hold the weight of the sand.

Thanks!
Might want to look into a Kreg kit

·
Banned
29,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyk36  /t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptu...fan23-launch-another-avs-ht/540#post_23595620

Thanks!

I've seen this problem with MDF. You can add a small strip glued and screwed so there is double amount of wood to catch. If there is plenty of glue it should grab and hold. You can even try a piece of non MDF and screw into that.

Technically the screws are just tiny permanent clamps. Once the glue dries your usually ok.

·
Registered
670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptu...fan23-launch-another-avs-ht/540#post_23593221

the riser is 11 and change deep.

I'm not qualified to advise you on the size of the riser vents but I got them here: http://www.hvacquick.com/products.php/residential/Grilles-Registers/Bar-Linear-Grilles/Dayus-Bar-Linear-FLOOR-Grilles-and-Registers#price

Select the floor return with no damper option, as it turns out they are made in Windsor, Canada.

http://www.hvacquick.com/catalog_files/Dayus_dafg_Cut_Sheet.pdf

in this picture you can see what started out as 12 ft boards and what we used for the center supports is the part we cut off.

I ordered some Riser Vents from the site you linked. Funny story here. The place that manufactures them is 10 miles from my house. I called them but they do not sell directly to customers but gave me two places locally that do sell them. It was cheaper to order them through your link, ship them to the United States where I have a UPS box, pay the taxes in Canada when I cross the border and bring them home by a fair margin in comparison to picking them up at a retailer local to my home. Sad.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Looks awesome guys, thanks for all the pics.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Great job guys and just in time for football!

I have to say Thursday is going to be a special day for me even if it's only preseason.

·
Registered
285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by booga24  /t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptu...fan23-launch-another-avs-ht/540#post_23593264

WOW!!!!!! Great job guys, theater is looking awesome. nygiantsfan23 which paint colors did you use walls and ceiling?

Sorry for the delay, it's sherewin Williams Turkish coffe and jersey cream

·
Registered
354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGIANTSFAN23  /t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptu...fan23-launch-another-avs-ht/570#post_23603094

Sorry for the delay, it's sherewin Williams Turkish coffe and jersey cream

Thanks giantsfan23, I love your colors.

561 - 580 of 887 Posts