AVS Forum banner

581 - 600 of 887 Posts

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #583 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyk36  /t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptu...fan23-launch-another-avs-ht/570#post_23604815

What color GOM did you use?

This is the first time I've worked with AcoustiMac fabric. we used http://www.acoustimac.com/dmd-acoustic-fabric/ in brown. Bottom line the fabric is much easier to work with than FR701. It has more stretch and is more forgiving. The finish is a little more refined than the FR701, more of a knitted look, if those colors are in your plans it is worth getting a sample and see if your like it.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Big or NYG,

how much space did you between the frame moulding and the corners of walls, ceiling, and chair rail?

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #586 ·
2 1/2 inches. You could go as big as 3 1/2 and I think it would look fine. I just cut a block of wood that was 2 1/2 plus the width of the frame molding (1 5/8) and went around the room with a sharpie and marked the locations of the fabric areas, then banged up furring and mounted to the marks.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptu...fan23-launch-another-avs-ht/570#post_23605334

This is the first time I've worked with AcoustiMac fabric. we used http://www.acoustimac.com/dmd-acoustic-fabric/ in brown. Bottom line the fabric is much easier to work with than FR701. It has more stretch and is more forgiving. The finish is a little more refined than the FR701, more of a knitted look, if those colors are in your plans it is worth getting a sample and see if your like it.

Site says it is acoustic fabric, but would it pass for AT?

nvm...further reading on the site says it is...

You have first hand experience Big...is it AT? (can't always believe the marketing...and I remember the big todo over FR701, a while back...)

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #588 ·
It may actually be more transparent with a looser weave than FR701. So much that you need to consider how to make everything behind it the same color or the contrast will be evident. Order a sample and compare with a GOM sample.

·
Registered
523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptu...fan23-launch-another-avs-ht/570#post_23606642

2 1/2 inches. You could go as big as 3 1/2 and I think it would look fine. I just cut a block of wood that was 2 1/2 plus the width of the frame molding (1 5/8) and went around the room with a sharpie and marked the locations of the fabric areas, then banged up furring and mounted to the marks.

Great question Larry - Thanks Big - I seem to learn a new tip or trick reading your builds every day!

Keeps me motivated to keep working on my HT!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptu...fan23-launch-another-avs-ht/570#post_23606642

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyk36  /t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptu...fan23-launch-another-avs-ht/570#post_23607378

Great question Larry - Thanks Big - I seem to learn a new tip or trick reading your builds every day!

Keeps me motivated to keep working on my HT!

I think I am going to shoot for 3 1/2" to maybe 3 3/4"

I started at 4" and shot a laser line across the room. The distance to my moulding varied from 4" to 4 1/4" which is nice to only have a 1/4" wave in my soffit...I should have planned my upside down baseboard moulding a tad better and it would have been perfectly straight.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Big,

How did you apply the fabric?

I'll be done very shortly on the frames, and I would like to put up 1 piece of fabric. How did you handle corners?

·
Registered
918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptu...fan23-launch-another-avs-ht/570#post_23617763

How did you do this trim ? How many pieces is that to get the chair rail type effect sticking out ?

two pieces chair rail backer and the char rail it self i think from what i gather from the pic

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1  /t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptu...fan23-launch-another-avs-ht/570#post_23617840

two pieces chair rail backer and the char rail it self i think from what i gather from the pic

Looks like that to me

1x4 backer and chair on top

You can add more to it by adding decorative shoe moulding to he top and bottom

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #598 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M  /t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptu...fan23-launch-another-avs-ht/570#post_23617514

Big,

How did you apply the fabric?

I'll be done very shortly on the frames, and I would like to put up 1 piece of fabric. How did you handle corners?

Porter Cable upholstery stapler and 3/8 inch long staples. you attach an oversize piece then get out a fresh blade/scissors and cut to size.

you fold the corners like you fold wrapping paper on a box. then staple.

581 - 600 of 887 Posts