AVS Forum banner

881 - 887 of 887 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
We don't need to add on. I am working on finishing the basement, with the theater and a half bath. Looking at finishing 1500 sqft. Our house set on a little more than a half acre with no one behind us and some woods.

Here is are living room. It is currently a 4 bedroom with 2 and half bath and 3 car garage.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Half an acre..... that's a dream for me. Must be nice to have that space, I'm jealous. Your house on Long Island would be over a million for sure.

3 car garage!!!!??? That's another dream of mine. I'm lucky I have a one car that actually fits my car. I have a little room to bump it out and make it a 1.5 car garage, but that's about it. I want to be able to get around my car and work on it in the garage.

·
Premium Member
3,156 Posts
My cousin from California a few years ago and couldn't believe how much house and land we got for our money. Her dad's house near Oakland is worth over a million, but he bought it many years ago for a lot less.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
My cousin from California a few years ago and couldn't believe how much house and land we got for our money. Her dad's house near Oakland is worth over a million, but he bought it many years ago for a lot less.

Exactly, the west and east coast is ridiculous, especially Long Island and anything in proximity to NYC. One area that we beat California in is property tax. A house similar to mine sold around the block, but the owners never grieved their taxes (common practice around here) and they were paying $17,000 a year in property taxes. That's for a 1300 sqft cape on a 60x100 lot with an unfinished basement and 1 bathroom.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Just an update for those who have followed this theater for years. We dropped in a MiniDSP Dirac box into the NYGIANTSFAN23 ‘s rack last weekend and let Dirac do its thing. After some calibration and minor tweaking (and some hurdles with the miniDSP gain levels), this room sounds beyond phenomenal. His current amp only has five channels (with the rears and second set of side surrounds being powered by his new massive Denon receiver) so he went ahead and ordered a couple more amps w/ the appropriate cabling so we can do the full room calibration this weekend. I really can’t wait, because what I heard with just 5 channels blew my mind. He thought I left the rear surround channels connected by accident—that’s how good the 5.1 soundstage was. And vocals were through the roof! He’s running three JTR Noesis 212’s across his LCR, two Hsu VTF-15’s for his subs, and six DIY Soundgroup speakers.

What sparked this whole audio calibration is the fact that he was starting to notice some system limitations—he had a company come in and do a calibration but he still wasn’t fully satisfied. When he mentioned that, we hypothesized that he might be approaching speaker capability constraints. I mentioned that there’s this company called MiniDSP and if he wanted to get top notch sound out of his existing gear, this was probably his best and certainly most cost-effective bet. And wow—it was. I would recommend his speaker configuration to anyone in the market. Audyssey wasn’t doing the room justice—but Dirac with some tweaking of the curves....changed the entire character of the room. Dynamics are out of this world!

Will report back after we add the rears to the mix!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
150 Posts
What happened to all the photos in this thread (and I assume other threads)? Did they get wiped out when AVS Forum moved to their new site?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yes and for some reason it has inserted random unrelated pictures from some source. I have most of the pictures on my computer if there is something you are interested in I can re-post a few.
I wanted to revisit the project as a whole since I found this thread a year or so ago and planned to "borrow" some aspects of the design and methods used when building my own theater since it doesn't make sense to reinvent the wheel. At this point I was hoping to go back and look at construction of the stage, riser, and soffit, including the moulding/indirect lighting technique you used around it. I'm sure that's a lot to try to go back and repost, so I'll take what I can get. Any chance you have those pics on another photo hosting website you could just send me a link to, or are they all just locally on your hard drive? Thanks again for all of the time and effort you've put in to sharing your work and answering everyone's questions over the years.

881 - 887 of 887 Posts