AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, I have a situation with a beam support. The crossbeam supports the two floors above the basement/home theater. My question is they’re a way to remove the support with out having the two floors come down or is there another too supporting the two floors. There is no window or access to replace the certain beam with anything else. I don’t know if the builders left it there as a temporary support and forgot to removed it or is this suppose to be there. The support beams are made out of 2X6’s nailed in a t-shape form.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Is this a new home? Are these supports in question vertical? I'm pretty confused by your description...

Ted

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ted,

This is a new house. I brought the house two years ago and the supports beam is running vertical.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Many basements in the U.S. have a large wooden beam running the length of the house. That beam supports the floor joists. The wooden beam is often made of several 2x10s or 2x12s next to each other, and supported by metal columns. I think you are asking about removing one or more of the metal columns.

You can remove one or more metal columns, if you replace the central wooden beam with a steel girder. Steel is stronger and stiffer than wood so it can span a longer distance without need support. That means you can remove one or possibly more of the metal columns. You probably should consult with an structural engineer or architect. You probably should consider having a contractor do the work.

Search this forum for "Big Steel Guy" who has a story about how to do this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.