AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mitsubishi HC4000 that has developed the color wheel whine. I have it apart and plan on replacing the bearings. How do you figure out the right size bearings to get since I don't see any identifying info on the bearings? Does anyone know the size of the two color wheel bearings for the HC4000 or the part numbers from Grainger or some other place? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I have a Mitsubishi HC4000 that has developed the color wheel whine. I have it apart and plan on replacing the bearings. How do you figure out the right size bearings to get since I don't see any identifying info on the bearings? Does anyone know the size of the two color wheel bearings for the HC4000 or the part numbers from Grainger or some other place? Thanks.
The bearings? It's not a car. Just buy a new color wheel assembly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As the bearings fail, they produce the whine. Replacing the bearings is a far less expensive route than replacing the entire assembly. Since I've taken out the color wheel assembly, it's only a little further effort to remove the bearings.

It's been about 3 years ago but there was a similar post for an HC1500 here (scroll down to 02-13-2012, 05:38 PM), www avsforum com / forum / 68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp / 1308926-mitsubishi-hc1500-color-wheel-issue-my-options.html. My question is how to figure out the right size for the two bearings. If anyone knows or can point me to some documentation that tells, that would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'm impressed that 'beenlong' was able to replace the bearings successfully, though I wonder about the longevity of his fix. You can try to go that route, but it isn't for the non-experienced. In my experience two things tend to be pretty consistent in a DLP, the DMD and the color wheel. The color wheel then probably has the same size bearings are the HC1500. If you want to be sure, you can always dismantle your color wheel to make measurements before buying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. I should have asked this earlier...in case replacing the bearings doesn't last, what have you all found to be a good source or two for getting a new color wheel assembly?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I should have asked this earlier...in case replacing the bearings doesn't last, what have you all found to be a good source or two for getting a new color wheel assembly?
I was able to get some directly from Mitsubishi. If you're not able to, you can generally source them from sites like ebay, either separately or pull one from a similar projector that is being sold for repair or parts. Main thing with the repair or parts is to get one with the same number of color segments.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have just removed the bearings on mine projector, it was realy easy but handle the wheel with care (easy to breake the glass).
Front bearing: d - 4mm D - 8mm B - 3mm
Back bearing: d - 2mm D - 5mm B - 2mm
And do not save money on cheep bearings, you need qualety here.
Sorry for bad english.

Hope it helps:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just googled it and this site kulelager24.no was my choise, i live in Norway so im not sure this is the site for you.
I can let you know if the quality is good when i get them in a few days.

And i went for the B-2.3mm on the back bearing, they did not have 2mm.
Im sure that will work, lots of rom inn there:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got the bearing today, just changed them and the whine is gone:)
And btw the back bearing was B-2.5mm not 2mm, the one i got 2.3mm worked to.

·
Registered
43 Posts
One of you should write a step by step procedure of changing bearing .... It will be useful to all DLP owners willing to walk the mile

·
Registered
87 Posts
Anyone take pics or video of color wheel replacement? I need a one color wheel or bearing swap in one of my units. Both are now in need of bulbs..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts