·
Registered
326 Posts
Don't worry, I'm sure you can find a power supply :D

-will

·
Registered
901 Posts
That's the trouble with beautiful things, they often cost a lot to attract and then to keep.

Still, if your HTPC sees you 'using' another HTPC it won't disappear with your house and kids :D

·
Registered
651 Posts
Yup, beautiful cases indeed. I should have my friend post his setup here... he has the 210

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
orbillius,

I have a Lian Li PC-60, which I love - not just pretty, but a pleasure to work with, and great on cooling.

Now I need a rackmount case, but all the normal 4U ones are so damn ugly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was just wondering if anyone had seen this (the CoolerMaster 610 case) http://www.coolermaster.com/products...cs/atc-600.jpg

Looks a lot like the case that was mentioned a few weeks ago as being seen in Japan; I'm going to email them to see if they are available in the US.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Mid 200's is a rip-off IMO. While it does look pretty nice, it's nowhere the level of the Antec mod being done here for a similar total price. The fact that the Antec fascia mod is a very limited run most likely based on manual CNC machines or even machinists makes me think that something as mass produced as this Coolermaster case should be much cheaper while still turning a sizable profit. Then again, I'm an engineer, not a businessman, so there are undoubtedly many other costs I'm not seeing.

I would definitely pay around ~100 for this case, but as it is....I'd rather spend a couple of days in the machine shop milling out a fascia for my case.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Re: the antec mod.

a) AFAIK the antec case being modded is no longer made.

b) I bet this coolermaster case will ship well before the antec mod case which has been vapor for ages. Does anyone actually have one beside the guy who built it?

An uber case from forum members is great, but totally irrelvant if you cannot actually buy one.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ianken
Re: the antec mod.

a) AFAIK the antec case being modded is no longer made.

b) I bet this coolermaster case will ship well before the antec mod case which has been vapor for ages. Does anyone actually have one beside the guy who built it?

An uber case from forum members is great, but totally irrelvant if you cannot actually buy one.
agreed...but my point was not about the availability. I was just wondering why it was so expensive if a better case can be hand made for cheaper. Once again, I suppose it has to do with the business aspect of it rather than the manufacturing aspect of it.

BTW, the fascias have already shipped, so it's not vaporware. Have faith in your other AVSForum members ;)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The Uber case is in the post... Good things come to those who wait, after all custom high quality CNC work does not come easy...

Also design by committee and the inclusion of optional inbuilt IR / VFD / etc / etc done on a limited production run by a hobbyist sure makes the pricing stand out... I believe the recent price for the 'Korean' case including a VFD was $130 for the trial with a $190 price possibly being retail (for a far more attractive case IMHO)...

I would think that a real case maker should be able to churn out a real convergence case (eg IR in and VFD in black / silver) for about $100 in volume and still make money, at this stage in the HTPC / convergence game they have a chance to set themselves up in a good market niche...

Also MicroATX is too limiting for my tastes.. I think coolermaster would have done well to make this an all black design in the ATX form factor, this would have given them more of a market (IMHO) as it is I hope the Korean case makes it to market....

·
Registered
901 Posts
I love it whan things turn full circle.

AS Phatt Phreddy says, the facias have shipped.

There is no argumant that this project took a lot longer to com to fruition than was originally planed, but that's what you get you try to accomodate everyones wishes. I told Keith near the beginning that concensus by committee was a bad idea, but he wanted to make sure everyone that wanted on would have a say. We have to remember that this was a project designed and built by the member of this forum for the members of this forum and not as a commercial exercise.

Part of the problems have been to do with actually retrofitting an existing case and all those little nasties you only discover when you actually get down to putting it together. It would have been far easier and taken less time to build a totally new case from scratch. It might have even been cheaper, but once we decided on the Antec KS-780B and then a whole bunch of member had bought them because of the mod. Well really, there was no going back.

Who knows, maybe once Keith has caught his breath he will look at taking the investment in time that he has made on this facia and use that knowledge to build a totally new case. I have no idea if he will, but it would not surprise me.

A piece of advice for anyone looking to build a new case for HTPC use. DO NOT post that you are doing it, or ask for any advice. just look at the ideas already presented and ho do it. you will save a lot of time and won't be pi$$ed off by people that read the last page of a thread and then either ask the same questions you answered a week ago, or suggest something 'new' that was posted a couple of days ago. Really, it can be very frustrating.

All you really have to do if you come up with a design, is say to yourself "does this look like it was made by Denon or Yamaha or Onkyo or whoever". If it doesn't look like your AV amp or DVD player then you have failed. I wonder why all these case makers just can't do that?

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I like the idea of a microATX case. The size of the box is bit more managable. With 1 AGP and 3 PCI slots you really do have enough expansion if a motherboard with built in networking is installed. While this will not be adequate for some people, my guess is that it would be sufficient for most people to allow them to put together a fairly complete HTPC for progressive DVD playback, scaling, TV tuner, gaming, surfing, etc.

AGP - video

PCI - soundcard

PCI - HDTV tuner/capture card

PCI - open

The problem with the Coolermaster ATC-600 is really the front bezel layout which is too limiting. If this had been better designed similar to Keith's Antec retrofit, it could have been a winner. The real estate of a mATX front bezel could accomodate a VFD, floppy and two 5.25 bays if properly positioned. My guess is that space for an IRman could also be integrated.

So who wants to take on this project? ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
The problem with the ATC-600, in my opinion, is that it just doesn't look like a AV component. but hopefully, I'll be able to secure a review sample for my tech site.

I was able to review the ATC-500 and the ATC-110, but IMO they're not at all suitable for HTPC purposes. If you want a link to the reviews of these cases, just ask.

The custom fascia project looks very interesting, unfortunatly I'm too late, and the case is discontinued... so, the only option in the Korean case.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Lian-li just started producing an all-aluminum, 4U rackmount unit, with locking face.

Anodized black.

With Handles.

They also, supposedly, just spent $5M US on a bending/shaping/press for their aluminum work. I am using the PC-61, I believe, which is aluminum, anodized black. Anywhere you tap it (after I was done with it!!) it emits a 'tick', or a 'thunk' and that's it. Eventhe bay covers are mechanicallyand acoustically damped. it use to weigh about 4 lbs, empty. With the Pc innards in it,and with all the work done to it, it comes ina t about 35-37 lbs.

In a room with any music at all, I can't hear it running. With the furnace on.. the furnace is easier to hear. I practically have to hold my breath to hear it.

I've never said this before, but I luv my HTPC. It finally meets my minimum standard.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.