AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I just pulled the trigger on the AVM-20. I've been reading all the great threads on HTF and AVS, and auditioned the piece a couple of times. In addition to the great sound I'm impressed by the upgradeability and excellent support from Anthem. I'm also impressed by the fantastic support you in the Anthem user community give each other and reassured to know I too can rely on that support. How many other products do you know that come with that kind of great support available free at the drop of a hat?

The dealer had black ones in stock, but I decided to hold out for a silver one which is on order. Will be here before Christmas if I'm lucky. Can't wait!

The new AVM-20's team mates are Bryston 4B-ST with Studio 60's for the mains, Anthem MCA-3 with Studio CC and Studio ADP center and surrounds, and an RP91 DVD player. For now it will be a 5.1 system, until I can get it all moved down to the basement.

Really can't wait. I'm trying not to break down and settle for the black one, but if the silver doesn't come in before Christmas, well... I may need some help on this one!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I will be in the market for one of these early in the new year. Mine *must* also be silver. Just wondering where you're getting it, Audio One?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Audio Excellence on Bayview.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Congrats amigo!!!

I just got my Anthem AVM20, MCA50 and MCA20 yesterday. It's setup and running quite AWESOME. See the thread "Best 7.1 Channel AMP" for my comments and others.

Let us know how you like it when you get your hands on it.

Happy Holidays!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just got mine about 2 weeks ago, but today I got the new amp. I matched it up with a Pass X5. All my components up till today were black, so I took the Anthem in black, BUT now.. I have a Pass X5 which ONLY comes in silver , but it sounds great.

BTW what is HTF ?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Natural Sound in Kitchener. Jon Connolly, the owner, is a great guy and will give you a great demo of the setup. He's got it hooked up with Anthem MCA50 and MCA20 amps. It's worth the drive.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Thanks for the locations guys. I have heard good things about both those dealers, though have never had occasion to deal with them yet. It is handy for me to have a dealer who carries both Bryston and Anthem, as I'm enamored with the SST amps, though have not written off the MCA50 yet. I'm in a better position to negotiate a deal if one dealer carries both. Plus I've had the 9B-SST at home, and know how it works, but it is somewhat more pricey than the MCA50, so I'm waffling, why I haven't bought yet...

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
cfraser: Coincidental -> I just emailed you via Audioasylum before venturing over to AVS.

I was too cheap to upgrade to even a used Lexicon MC-12B, so I bought a Bryston SP-1.7 a few weeks ago to replace my Lexicon MC-1. I have been lying low on my thoughts on it but will post a review at some point here at AVS. I have the latest updated software in transit from Bryston and hopefully it will arrive Monday and fix some glitches I have noticed.

FYI: The Bryston has no video switching and lists for about $1500 Canadian more than the AVM-20.

If there are any AVM-20 owners near me, or in Mississauga/Toronto, who feel like a head-to-head, I will be happy to bring my SP1-.7 over for some comparative listening and good-fun. I am sure it would be informative to many of us here, as I bought mine on "faith" in the Bryston reputation.

Also, now that I have the SP-1.7 as a base reference, I intend to borrow a Lexicon MC-12B from a local dealer's trade-in pile, to see/hear if the big Lex is "worth" the upgrade for me.

I have been buying gear from the Natural Sound guys in Kitchener for about 18 years ( and I'm only 35 ). They are a great bunch of guys, and there 4-5 "senior" sales crew have been around for as long as I can remember -> that says a lot about an organization. Natural Sound carries both Anthem and Bryston.

- Andy [email protected] ( Guelph, Ontario )

·
Registered
16 Posts
Gentlemen,

I just ordered the AVM-20 as well. Silver, of course. I also purchased the matching MCA20 2-channel amp. There goes the tax return and this year's bonus. Literally.

When I have enough money to move to surround, I will either purchase the matching MCA30 or MCA50. This gives me time to decide between 5.1 or 7.1. I am wiring my current theater for 7.1, but will only use 5.1 in the time being.

The amp looked wonderful and I knew I had to buy one once I saw all the features.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Folks:

The long awaited AVM-20 arrived last night. Well it arrived at the dealer's a few days ago but I was out of town until last night.

I unpacked it and put it in the rack with only the most basic setup. Its got way more things to set up than I'm used to, so it will likely be a few days before I have the time to set it up properly. I have a feeling I'll be posting a few questions for you folks when I get into it.

First impressions: Very nice. Watched some TV, listened to a CD (Diana Krall) and part of a DVD-Audio disk (Big Phat Band) and part of a DVD (Clapton concert). Very, very nice indeed!

Wayne

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.