AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had problems with the aspect ratio of Beauty and The Beast? I know that it's supposed to be a 16:9 anamorphic disc, but I can only get it to play fullscreen on my 4:3 TV. Are they doing anything different on this disc in terms of telling the player how to decode it? At a couple points while the feature is spinning up, you can see that it tries to do a letterbox view. As soon as the Disney animated logo comes up, it's 4:3 and stays that way.

I've got an Apex AD-600A running through a Denon 3803 to an old Mitsubishi 27" set. I'm using s-video through the whole path. (And no, the zoom function isn't on.) I'm looking at replacing the Apex soon, since it's got quite a few issues. I kind of suspect that it's the culprit, but since every other disc plays just fine, it seems rather odd.

Anyone else seen the behavior?

·
Registered
68 Posts
The disc plays fine on my Panasonic but I just popped the disc into my own Apex AD-600A in my bedroom and it played stretched out and filling the screen, No adjustments I tried would fix the problem.

The Apex also does this for part of the film on "The Sixth Sense" (first release)

Outside of getting a new DVD player, I don't think you will be able to solve the problem, I'm pretty certain that if you exchanged the disc for another copy, it to would have the same problem.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response! I figured at least a few people here would have one of the old Apex decks. I plan on keeping it around, if for no other reason but to play Dragon's Lair once in a while. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.