AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea, it has flaws. I already know that. What movie doesn't.

But I overlooked them this time. Because the message of the movie came through so strong that I didn't care about that.

What this movie is to me is best expressed within a context.

Tonight, on another message board, I cussed President's mothers and deities among other things. I summoned up as much bitterness and hate as I could dig out of myself in writing those words.

And then a half hour later I wrote these words below to that same message board. Which will have to do as my review of this movie, "Because of Winn Dixie". What's your review of it?

Quote:
Yea but I'm getting weary of how it's hardened me. How it's taking the heart out of me.

There's no sense for Americans to have to be living like this. It's taking it's toll on all of us. And I do mean all of us. I feel pretty sure that includes the one's who've deluded themselves into thinking it's all what's right. Those who've deluded themselves into thinking it has purpose. Because they see the same thing we do. They see all this death and misery day in and day out just like we do. And some of them are touched personally by it too. Because someone they loved was destroyed by it too. Either their own flesh and blood. Or someone they know.

And there may be some getting on TV and talking, and there may be some writing to this board and saying they aren't moved by it. But I don't believe them.

After I lost it and blew up in those last two posts, I walked away and watched the last twenty minutes of a movie I'd started a couple of nights ago. And that movie

does have heart. And it does have humanity. And as silly as it sounds, that movie moved me to be writing now.

Sometimes art is the one thing which can restore feeling to a hard heart. And this one did mine. I wish that every high government official could be made to assemble in a movie theater and watch this movie. Every government official, and every President's mother and every professional opinionizer. All together watch this movie and think about what they're seeing. And then think about what they've said. That our lives are not important to them.

Oh yea, almost forgot. The movie is "Because of Winn Dixie".

And I know. This whole post is corny as hell. It was meant to be. Sometimes a little corny is good for the soul. Man does not live on sarcasm and cursing alone.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Well,my wife loved rhis movie.I didn't,but I've got her,and she's enough sweetness and light to soften my heart.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So that's it huh. Movies about dogs and kids and kids loving dogs and kids without mothers

and kids making friends and people making friends and people struggling with life and people living life, .........are chick flicks. Effeminate.

God help us.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm with you Bob. Both my wife and I generally love these kind of films, especially if well done. We haven't seen this one yet, but plan to, as we have heard very good things about it. In this day and age, it's really easy to get a bit hardened, and we all need to let ourselves get taken away and touched by a film like this. We'll have to go out and pick this one up later today.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
saying my wife liked it is not calling it a chick flick.You better watch it again-you need a little more heart softening.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWood
Tonight, on another message board, I cussed President's mothers and deities among other things. I summoned up as much bitterness and hate as I could dig out of myself in writing those words.

And then a half hour later I wrote these words below to that same message board. Which will have to do as my review of this movie, "Because of Winn Dixie". What's your review of it?
Maybe it's the II message board that is at fault, i.e., for riling up demons. :D

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea those SOB's over there are crazy allright. That's the attraction of it for me. It's the first place I've ever found where alongside the rest of em even I look sane.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I read the title and was thinking "This is an odd place to talk about a failing supermarket chain??"

:)

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrumm
Hey, I'm a guy who loves chick flicks. They keep the wife busy while I'm downloading pr0n.
Pr0n definitely has it's place too. It's another of the basic movie food groups.

pr0n, westerns, flying saucer movies and chick flicks.

Oh lord if we could just combine all four into one movie. Cecile B Mills would have to step aside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie7910
ZZzzzZZzzzz
I sure know what you mean. I'm an old fart too. I can barely get through the first half hour of any movie any more without nodding off either. When you get to be our age they need to supply amphetamines with the damn DVD rentals.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie7910
ZZzzzZZzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWood
I sure know what you mean. I'm an old fart too. I can barely get through the first half hour of any movie any more without nodding off either. When you get to be our age they need to supply amphetamines with the damn DVD rentals.
Boogie7910 seems to be an old fart at age 22 though. ;)

Haven't seen this film yet so have nothing to say about it, yet.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Heard the most amazing music coming from my daughter's bedroom, which usually just jams to lollipop junk I simply tolerate. It was the Winn Dixie soundtrack.

I suddenly have a new appreciation for this movie!

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some of the music is a really nice touch. Some seem to want to emphasize Emmylou Harris' contribution, but I think it's "Opal's Blues" is what gives the movie it's musical soul.

Also the ending payoff of the gospel standard "Glory Glory" was well chosen too.

If the child actress, Annasophia Robb is her name, doesn't steal your heart, then you're not breathing.

And if you do watch the movie, pay attention to the cop. That's Harland Williams. He's a pretty twisted stand-up comic (and character actor) who's done quite a few Tonight Show appearances.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.